Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason I had to try to make a Bacon Explosion. I don't have a smoker so I used my gas grill with a pan of hickory wood chips, it worked pretty good.

I started with weaving a 5 strip x 5 strip bacon mat.

IMG_8453.jpg

I pressed a mat of Italian sausage meat about 1/2" thick the size of the mat. Covered it with another 10 slices of fried bacon cut up plus a couple of green onions cut up.

IMG_8471.jpg

Rolled up the sausage then rolled that into the bacon mat.

IMG_8492.jpg

Because of the size of this pig, I cooked it at about 280 degrees for about 3-1/2 hours. The core temp was about 185 degrees when I took her off.

IMG_8519.jpg

A couple of 1/2" slices, fresh biscuits, and a beer and I am set.

IMG_8538.jpg

I have to invest in a good smoker some day, but this was still fun to make.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Holy crap that looks good and deadly.:fed:

·
Registered
616 Posts
We did this a ferw years ago before I sold my smoker, called it "Death by Pig". Was quite tasty, but you can't eat too much, it's overwhelming.

·
Registered
714 Posts
...what a way to go though!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Well.............tell me that's not a heart attack waiting to happen! :lol: I've got to try that! Looks delicious!

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is that BBQ sauce on the outside when its on the grill?
Yep, basted with regular Bulls Eye BBQ sauce lwhen she was about half done and again at the end.

True, one slice is a meal. I think it was just fun to make given that my wife is looking over my shoulder, first of all not believing that I am cooking in the house and more wondering, "what the H*** are you doing???"

Next one will be a little smaller, biscuit sized, and I will play with the seasoning etc. to make it a little more interesting.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
after the heart attack....can I have your tractor?
Perhaps, but my wife will need it to dig my grave first.:laugh:

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts