Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today a friend of mine came over (hi Jason! :bye:) with his 2720 to work on a land leveling project with me. We removed some old raised bed garden plots and the plan was to cut down a ridge and make the entire area smoother. Between his 2720 to fit into some smaller areas near the house and my 5320 for the heavy grunt work, we were set. The Artillian forks made quick, simple work of removing old railroad ties, and the 5320 moved a lot of dirt with the loader.

Then, it was time to take the box blades and cut down the ridge. Simple enough, right? Sure! I started in one spot, Jason in another. We were doing well until a rock was discovered. Now, the rock shouldn't have been much of a surprise. I've had various trouble with them before, including destroying a subsoiler on my 5320 when I hung a basketball sized buried rock. I have another rock removal project in the works down near the driveway. It's just part of having a house on the side of a hill, you get some rocks.

The 2720 was cutting right along, when the box blade rippers hung our new discovery and stopped the tractor cold. I mean dead stopped, all four wheels spinning and going nowhere. He backed up, got away from the rock and everything was fine. Removing the rock was the next course of action, and it was clear that the 2720 was just a little too light for the job. I'm not slighting the tractor at all, it's a really great machine. Just a little light for unearthing boulders in one shot. We had a bigger tractor, so we dug out the rock a bit and decided to see if the 5320 would be any more successful at getting it out of the way.

I approached the rock from a different angle, in low range, low gear. The rock didn't seem to be too large, and not buried too deep, so the thought was we could hook it with the ripper teeth on my box blade and just pop it out of the dirt. Simple enough, right? We both watched in slow motion as the box blade teeth hung the rock, and then...the hitch supports on the blade twisted into a nice S shape , the blade tilted up and slid right over the rock.

boxblade1.jpg

boxblade2.jpg

Yeah. That didn't really work out so well. :empathy3: At that point it was decided that perhaps we should just bury the rock. :laugh: This is a little clearer photo of the damage to the blade. It's actually not bad. The support arms are wrecked, but they're simple enough to fabricate and replace. I'm considering reinforcing them when I repair it, but overall this blade isn't super heavy duty so I don't know that it would make a big difference.

In any case, it was a great day hanging out with a great friend. :drinks: The box blade was just collateral damage. :mocking:

·
Premium Member
10,147 Posts
That was a tough rock. (and a pretty stout tractor too)

You now have what is call an "upgrade opportunity"! (fixing collateral damage while having fun)

I know you have a wealth of resources, but if I remember correctly Everything Attachements has the heavy duty lift arms for fab projects.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
You should give us a picture of the rock that did this damage.

Reactions: Ranchhand

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,103 Posts
I say "screw the box blade" it can be repaired or replaced. Memories are made, don't break and last a long time.

I will say, someone in the group needs a backhoe and someone's wife must need something like a washer, dryer, vacuum cleaner.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I looked on EA's website and didn't see the lift arms. I'll probably use some 3/8"x 3 flat bar I already have. I'm not going to go too crazy strengthening this, as the body of the box blade is only 5/15". The real answer is a heavy duty Cat II blade.

I'll go out there today and see if I can get a rock picture, but we did a pretty fair job of burying it. I also mentioned GTT to Jason, he said something about having heard of it once or twice before. :mocking:

Gizmo, you're absolutely right. We both had a good laugh about it as it happened. Equipment damage isn't funny, but this really is mild and watching it happen was pretty darn humorous. "Yeah, this is going to work!" followed a few seconds later by "...Okay. New plan!" :laugh:

As for a backhoe, I'm actually planning to rent a mini-ex with a hydraulic hammer sometime this year. Seems like I'm having to rent one more and more often lately. Wonder what a used JD mini ex goes for? :greentractorride:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,103 Posts
We both had a good laugh about it as it happened. Equipment damage isn't funny, but this really is mild and watching it happen was pretty darn humorous. "Yeah, this is going to work!" followed a few seconds later by "...Okay. New plan!" :laugh:
:lol: Been there.
You need a smaller tractor, Just Sayin!:lol:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Administrator
20,982 Posts
Nobody actually knows how big the rock is. We did break off a good size chunk about 8" around and 2" thick.

But in the box blade's defense, 56FG likes to use cat 1 implements with his cat 2 tractor. It's really funny to see a 5' rotary cutter behind an almost 8' wide tractor. Yup, broken shear bolts, bent ripper shanks, and bent box blades are the norm up there. :lol:

At least it's repairable. :good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,103 Posts
Reactions: BigJim55

·
Administrator
20,982 Posts
I think he likes repairing stuff and making it better.
Yup. He's been known to do that.

He needs to post a few pics of his now tested t-post puller.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But in the box blade's defense, 56FG likes to use cat 1 implements with his cat 2 tractor. It's really funny to see a 5' rotary cutter behind an almost 8' wide tractor. Yup, broken shear bolts, bent ripper shanks, and bent box blades are the norm up there. :lol:
Upgrades take time. I'm hoping to run across an 8' mower this year, but that depends on what's available. Ideally, I think a heavy duty 7 or 8' box blade and a 10' land plane would be a good match for the 5320. Just have a bunch of other things on the list first.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
Nobody actually knows how big the rock is. We did break off a good size chunk about 8" around and 2" thick.

At least it's repairable. :good2:
The opposite of the guy who rebuilt a 7 foot sickle bar mower to mount on a 1026. Who was that?:laugh:

·
Administrator
20,982 Posts

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Cool! You fixed it!!! :thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
18,520 Posts
How about adding some cross bracing?

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, we're getting there. I got the replacement arms built, used 5/16" x 2" flat bar just like OEM, because I had it.

I still need to weld everything up, and add some additional bracing to hopefully prevent this from happening again.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,103 Posts
That's the plan, hence the paint cleaned off the back of the blade. Just stopped for lunch. :good2:
I stopped for lunch 2 hours ago, just waitin on dinner now.
I sure can tell it was a long winter, I'm pooped out.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts