Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the hydraulic filters and oil on my 4066R. I was pouring in the first five gallons of JD Hygard Low-Vis and the oil started becoming white and cloudy as I got down to the bottom. I stopped pouring and looked in the bucket and couldn't believe what I saw - white cloudy sludge in the bottom of the bucket. I was hoping this was normal, but I poured the second five gallon bucket and it was light brown and clear the entire pour.

Has anyone ever seen this? Is it possible John Deere sold me a bad batch of hydraulic oil??? The bucket was sealed when I opened it. I did notice that the lip on the lid of the bucket was deformed at one spot. But, oil didn't leak out from this spot.

I called the dealer, they said to drain it. Guess I am changing the oil again.

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
Interesting and alarming. I make it a point to never purchase hydraulic oil in 5-gallon buckets because I've always been concerned that it could be contaminated easier than fluid stored in 1-gallon containers. Perhaps I'm not crazy. :)

Is the dealer providing you with free oil to do the drain and refill?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting and alarming. I make it a point to never purchase hydraulic oil in 5-gallon buckets because I've always been concerned that it could be contaminated easier than fluid stored in 1-gallon containers. Perhaps I'm not crazy. :)

Is the dealer providing you with free oil to do the drain and refill?
The dealer indicated over the phone they would give me new oil AND filters. Here are a couple pictures of the bucket. You can see how the lid is deformed right at the spout. I didn't have any oil leak out from that spot when I had the bucket tipped. So, I don't know how water got into the oil. I thought this JD hydra-gard oil was the best stuff until now.

IMG_3503.JPG

IMG_3504.JPG

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
The dealer indicated over the phone they would give me new oil AND filters. Here are a couple pictures of the bucket. You can see how the lid is deformed right at the spout. I didn't have any oil leak out from that spot when I had the bucket tipped. So, I don't know how water got into the oil. I thought this JD hydra-gard oil was the best stuff until now.
Even the best lubricants can be contaminated if handled or stored improperly or if the container is damaged.

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
I'm another one that only buys the hydro fluid in gallon containers.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm another one that only buys the hydro fluid in gallon containers.
When I go to get new oil on Monday, i am getting the gallon jugs for sure. I think the spout they put on these 5 gallon buckets is the weak spot. The spout is just pressed into the hole in the lid. If the dealer leaves the buckets outside and rain fills the lid, the water will seep in around the spout.

·
Premium Member
7,898 Posts
I buy the 5 gallon buckets and never had a problem. Sounds like you were well taken care of by the dealer, so maybe not the first to have this problem with them.

My dealer does not store them outside. (probably be stolen if they did). They have "lost" some mowers and at least one Gator.

·
Premium Member
5,994 Posts
I buy the 5 gallon buckets and never had a problem. Sounds like you were well taken care of by the dealer, so maybe not the first to have this problem with them.

My dealer does not store them outside. (probably be stolen if they did). They have "lost" some mowers and at least one Gator.
Same here. Never an issue other than paying for them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got to the dealer today and they gave me new filters and oil in 1-gallon jugs. My tractor is now up and running with fresh hydraulic oil. Thought I would share a picture of the contaminated bucket. No, that is not cappuccino in the bucket. That is premium JD Hy-Gard. Buyer be-ware of the 5-gallon buckets of Hy-Gard.

IMG_3506.JPG

IMG_3507.JPG

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
That doesn't look like typical water contamination, that is usually milk colored?
Whatever it is it is junk now...

·
Administrator
20,969 Posts
I’ve used 5 gallon pails for years, never seen an issue, but there’s always a first. This won’t stop me buying them. The dealer immediately stood behind them and that says a lot about your dealer.

5 gallon buckets are probably the best way to get oil unless you are capable of handling barrels. If you’re Johnny Homeowner, than 1 gallon containers may be ok, especially for smaller jobs. 5g pails will alway make more sense for MCUTs and LCUTs or larger IMHO.

·
Registered
12,601 Posts

i got to say i have bought 5 gal buckets off my old dealer since 2006, never had one bad either-thank goodness. always a first time -oh.

did ur bucket not have the plastic seal inside? mine has always been sealed like that. my dealer fills their buckets from tanks, i think someone didn't look to good to see if the bucket was dirty somehow:dunno: that would be my guess.

it used to be if u bought a 5 gal bucket, instead of the 1 gal jugs, u then saved the price of 1 gal. might not matter in price anymore. haven't checked for yrs.

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
i got to say i have bought 5 gal buckets off my old dealer since 2006, never had one bad either-thank goodness. always a first time -oh.
I initially got turned off to the 5-gallon buckets after seeing some folks get down to the bottom and seeing some dirt and debris in the bottom of the bucket. Now it is possible that it was due to poor handling on their part. There's also the PITA handling factor compared with 1-gallon jugs.

it used to be if u bought a 5 gal bucket, instead of the 1 gal jugs, u then saved the price of 1 gal. might not matter in price anymore. haven't checked for yrs.
Now here is something that will really bake your noodle. I just checked prices for Low-Vis Hy-Gard at my local dealer.

TY22000........1 Gallon......... $14.35........... $71.75 for 5 jugs... (GFP pricing is $17.17 or $$85.85 for 5 jugs)
TY6342..........5 Gallons....... $72.67... (GFP pricing is $82.24)

So buying the 1-gallon jugs from the dealer is currently LESS expensive. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
It could be that someone bought new oil for their tractor & changed it out. Then they put the old oil in the new bucket & returned it for a refund.
I have seen it happen on other items.

·
Premium Member
7,898 Posts
I initially got turned off to the 5-gallon buckets after seeing some folks get down to the bottom and seeing some dirt and debris in the bottom of the bucket. Now it is possible that it was due to poor handling on their part. There's also the PITA handling factor compared with 1-gallon jugs.

Now here is something that will really bake your noodle. I just checked prices for Low-Vis Hy-Gard at my local dealer.

TY22000........1 Gallon......... $14.35........... $71.75 for 5 jugs... (GFP pricing is $17.17 or $$85.85 for 5 jugs)
TY6342..........5 Gallons....... $72.67... (GFP pricing is $82.24)

So buying the 1-gallon jugs from the dealer is currently LESS expensive. :dunno:
I think you can also get 2 1/2 gallon containers :dunno:, maybe only regular Hy-Gard, but not Low-Vis? If so, I wonder how it compares in price.

I always thought 5 gallon buckets were the cheapest way to go unless buying by the barrel.

·
Registered
700 Posts
When I go to get new oil on Monday, i am getting the gallon jugs for sure. I think the spout they put on these 5 gallon buckets is the weak spot. The spout is just pressed into the hole in the lid. If the dealer leaves the buckets outside and rain fills the lid, the water will seep in around the spout.

If a dealer is incompetent enough to leave buckets of oil outside unsheltered from the elements (or just too darn cheap to cover then properly), you need to find a new dealer.

Reactions: Kennyd
1 - 17 of 17 Posts