Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For getting cost $ which would you prefer? I'm going to be getting one of these products mostly for leaf control come fall weather. That being said I understand that finely chopped up grass and leaves are 'feed' for a lawn. A bagging system does appear to have an optic affect, make the lawn look better (I think?) and does a better job of picking up leaves. Looking for users of both, sometimes I purchase something and shortly after question myself. Thanks in advance.
Summer is soon here.
Be Safe, Ron

·
Registered
667 Posts
I've done both. The mulch kit does a nice job and has the added bonus of no-discharge (you can drive either way past a flower bed). I would have issues with thatch build-up, but that was to be expected. My 1025r (and the 1023e) diesel have enough torque to deal with even moderately high-grass with the mulch-kit, but for an even cut, you really do want to make sure that you're watching the grass-depth with every mow. I was disappointed that I could not get mulch-control with this deck. I thought it'd be nice to do discharge and periodically mulch, but, oh well.

The TKV20 is an incredible pick-up machine. I've got hundreds of trees: sassafras, ash (diminishing numbers), pine, birch, etc..., etc...

The fall mowing was getting a bit crazy for me with the mulch kit. I was going 3 or 4 times a week and each mow was taking me 2+ hours. With a serious leaf-pile (ankle - knee depth), you have to mow 2 or 3 times in different directions to make it 'disappear' and you'll never truly get it gone.

The TKV20 does that same thing with 1 mow a week and it takes ~ 1.5 hours. A single mow will have me dumping leaves about 15 - 20 times, but it works very, very well and does give the lawn a 'vacuum clean' effect.

The TKV20 does an incredible job with mowing and leaf clean up (btw, 15-20 dumps is only when the leaves are out. On my acre of lawn, a normal 'growing-season' mow with the TKV20 attached is < 1 full hopper.

The biggest factor is most likely going to be cost. The mulch-kit was a drop in the bucket compared to the TKV20. If I were you, I'd stay away from the deere versions that use powerflow. I had a powerflow on my x324 and it clogged at least a dozen times during a leaf-mow and at least twice during a normal, grass-only mow. The PTO-powered (or engine-powered like the cyclone rake) options are going to be the best option, the large impellers not only keep material moving, they shred it up nice and pack it in. Powerflow is a massive waste of money that'll just make you hate the chore even more.

The TKV20 (my personal fav.) and the cyclone rake are probably going to be the best bet, they just come with a bigger price tag (worth it) attached.

Reactions: The Satch

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler Town & Country
152 Posts
I've done both. The mulch kit does a nice job and has the added bonus of no-discharge (you can drive either way past a flower bed). I would have issues with thatch build-up, but that was to be expected. My 1025r (and the 1023e) diesel have enough torque to deal with even moderately high-grass with the mulch-kit, but for an even cut, you really do want to make sure that you're watching the grass-depth with every mow. I was disappointed that I could not get mulch-control with this deck. I thought it'd be nice to do discharge and periodically mulch, but, oh well.

The TKV20 is an incredible pick-up machine. I've got hundreds of trees: sassafras, ash (diminishing numbers), pine, birch, etc..., etc...

The fall mowing was getting a bit crazy for me with the mulch kit. I was going 3 or 4 times a week and each mow was taking me 2+ hours. With a serious leaf-pile (ankle - knee depth), you have to mow 2 or 3 times in different directions to make it 'disappear' and you'll never truly get it gone.

The TKV20 does that same thing with 1 mow a week and it takes ~ 1.5 hours. A single mow will have me dumping leaves about 15 - 20 times, but it works very, very well and does give the lawn a 'vacuum clean' effect.

The TKV20 does an incredible job with mowing and leaf clean up (btw, 15-20 dumps is only when the leaves are out. On my acre of lawn, a normal 'growing-season' mow with the TKV20 attached is < 1 full hopper.

The biggest factor is most likely going to be cost. The mulch-kit was a drop in the bucket compared to the TKV20. If I were you, I'd stay away from the deere versions that use powerflow. I had a powerflow on my x324 and it clogged at least a dozen times during a leaf-mow and at least twice during a normal, grass-only mow. The PTO-powered (or engine-powered like the cyclone rake) options are going to be the best option, the large impellers not only keep material moving, they shred it up nice and pack it in. Powerflow is a massive waste of money that'll just make you hate the chore even more.

The TKV20 (my personal fav.) and the cyclone rake are probably going to be the best bet, they just come with a bigger price tag (worth it) attached.
Interesting. I have a x748 with three bag powerflow and the only time mine plugs is when i forget to empty the bags. I love it. Kent

Reactions: RayLagrange

·
Corndog Hater
12,595 Posts
Interesting. I have a x748 with three bag powerflow and the only time mine plugs is when i forget to empty the bags. I love it. Kent
My experience is the same here, except mine is on my 1026R with 60d MMM. I wish I'd listened to my wife and bought the power flow sooner (go figure).

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler Town & Country
152 Posts
My experience is the same here, except mine is on my 1026R with 60d MMM. I wish I'd listened to my wife and bought the power flow sooner (go figure).
Wait a minute...Your Wife wants you to buy tractor stuff. Any chance we could trade? LOL Kent from PEI

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,960 Posts
I've been told similar to above regarding the mulching deck. If you're not able to mow regularly it's effectiveness is diminished due to clumping, etc. I was considering the mulching option however due to the drainage of my property and the amount of rain (last 2 of 3 years) we've been getting, cutting would rut up the yard and do more bad than good. It's easier to just cut taller grass, less often the force the cut and rut up the yard. My cuts in the spring are not as frequent as I'd like and wanting to avoid the clumps and windrows, I've gone the MCS route, my leaf collection is pretty easily handled by a lawn sweeper so that wasn't too much of the impetus for the MCS, but not complaining that the leaf collection process will be easier at this point.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Obviously your needs are specific to your lawn, trees and mowing habits, but mulching would never be an option for me. When I need to pick up leaves or bag grass clippings because there are so many windrows persisting between mowing sessions only a bagger will resolve the situation. Just too much material to expect to mulch in and disappear.

Rob

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was leaning towards the collection system. For years I've used my Wheel Horse with the bags, however after 28 years it's time to retire the machine. This W H has been awesome and it's been used hard. Been loaned out, had teen's that worked for me use it, sometimes that's not best for the equipment. Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts