Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a house with a few acres for horses. Horses are still boarded elsewhere, so I have some time for pasture maintenance and pasture upgrading. What advise can you give relative to increasing the density of the existing bahai grass and re-establishing bahai in pasture where the weeds have taken over?

What equipment should I buy, if any, for annual pasture maintenance? Just bought a John Deer 3046R, with heavy duty bush hog, finish mower, backhoe, front end loader, grapple, box blade, etc. - so I've got a start on equipment. Not sure what to buy for pasture maintenance though?

·
Registered
515 Posts
I just bought a house with a few acres for horses. Horses are still boarded elsewhere, so I have some time for pasture maintenance and pasture upgrading. What advise can you give relative to increasing the density of the existing bahai grass and re-establishing bahai in pasture where the weeds have taken over?

What equipment should I buy, if any, for annual pasture maintenance? Just bought a John Deer 3046R, with heavy duty bush hog, finish mower, backhoe, front end loader, grapple, box blade, etc. - so I've got a start on equipment. Not sure what to buy for pasture maintenance though?
I personally hate Bahia. It’s hard on shredder and mowers to cut. However, since you already have a pasture and it’s hard to kill the stuff it’s time to embrace it. When you’re wanting to bring the horses home is important due to the chemicals that should be applied. You have less grazing restrictions if you use something like a grazon type product. 2-4d will help kill the weeds. Bahia is pretty aggressive too and should thrive when the weeds stop fighting for sun and water. Also get a soil sample to your county extension office for eval on what and how much fertilizer needs to be applied.

Kill weeds and fertilizer should get you going in the right direction

Brett

·
Registered
837 Posts
Welcome from Central Florida. Make sure you don't have any lantana growing in the bahia before you bring the horses home. Down here where we are it really tries to take over. The guy behind us lost 2 cows to it before he knew it was there. Good luck with the new place, it sounds like you have a good start on equipment. Beautiful area you are in, we always drive that way when we come home from a trip to costco.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts