Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the EASIEST and best tasting baked bean recipes I've found. The chili sauce adds another level of flavor. I hope you enjoy them!

1 pound bacon (precooked works well)
2 (28 ounce) cans baked beans
1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2 cups packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350°
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
In a large bowl combine beans, chili sauce, onion, brown sugar and bacon. Pour into a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. My family likes the burn around the edges and will frequently cook an additional hour.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Added to the GTT cookbook. :good2:

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the EASIEST and best tasting baked bean recipes I've found. The chili sauce adds another level of flavor. I hope you enjoy them!

Preheat oven to 350°
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
In a large bowl combine beans, chili sauce, onion, brown sugar and bacon. Pour into a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. My family likes the burn around the edges and will frequently cook an additional hour.
check that...an additional 15 minutes NOT an hour. Corrected in downloadable version.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts

Preheat oven to 350°

:lolol: It's 3am and I've read this post and the meat loaf post . . . . and I'm hungry for both . . . Let's eat! :eating:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sil baked beans

Sweet and Sour Beans by Judy Baker
8 slices of bacon 1large pork &beans (partially drain)
2 medium onions coarsely chopped 2 cans lima beans (drained)
1/2 C cider or white vinegar 1small can kidney beans (drained)
1/2 to 1Cbrown sugar
1T dry mustard
1t salt
1/2 t garlic powder

Fry bacon and drain well on paper towel. Crumble when cooled.
Combine in a medium size saucepan: onions, vinegar, brown sugar, dry mustard, salt, and garlic powder.
Cover sauce and simmer for 20 minutes.
While sauce is cooking drain the beans and mix them into a baking dish.
Stir in the sauce and bake at 3500 for 1 hour. Toss-in the crumbled-bacon just before serving.

Things I do to my mom's recipe:
1. You can leave out the bacon and use all vegetarian beans and it still tastes terrific.
2. Sometimes I sauté the onions in a little oil (or bacon grease!!!!) before I dump in the rest of the sauce ingredients. OK, those days are gone!
Because...
3. I use already cooked bacon.
4. Use REAL garlic.
5. I prefer to use equal amounts of all the beans for a more colorful dish. There is enough sauce for 2 regular size cans of each bea

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Gus, I added this to the cookbook thread. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts