Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many guys balance new blades before installing them on their tractors?

How many guys sharpen their new blades before installing them on their tractors? (specifically gator G6 blades)

I'm about to order new blades and was surfing another site (Lawnsite.com) and a number of guys said after their blades arrived they balanced them since more often than not brand new blades aren't perfectly balanced. A number went a step further and said they threw a file to them as well to perfect the edge. I will be putting G6 blades on my X758. Growing up in the 90s I can never remember by Dad even once balancing blades, let alone new ones.

Thanks!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have never thought to balance new blades and didn't do it when I bought my G6s a few years ago. I sharpen them at the end of each season and balance and honestly I can't recall a time when any of the 3 was too far out of balance, even after my handyman angle grinder antics. I now have a bench grinder and still have not had a balance concern.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never thought to balance new blades and didn't do it when I bought my G6s a few years ago. I sharpen them at the end of each season and balance and honestly I can't recall a time when any of the 3 was too far out of balance, even after my handyman angle grinder antics. I now have a bench grinder and still have not had a balance concern.
Since I'm a noob please humor me. How do you balance your blades? (I'll youtube it as well) Did you buy one of the $200-500 balancers like the magnamatic 1000 balancer?

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never once balanced blades. I buy new G6’s every two seasons, and sharpen them mid-season. A good cut means a healthy lawn.

This was taken clear into November in Indiana.

You're property is amazing and the lawn looks great! What in particular do you do to sharpen? Hand file and just maintain the edge or do you use a machine set to a specific angle?

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
The G6 blades were plenty sharp from the factory.

The top blade is one of those G6 blades. They will get sharpened before going back on. Still have snow on the ground and more falling today so I have plenty of time.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
You're property is amazing and the lawn looks great! What in particular do you do to sharpen? Hand file and just maintain the edge or do you use a machine set to a specific angle?
Thank you! I maintain the edge with a tabletop grinder. If they become damaged, I just replace them. For $60ish, you can’t beat fresh G6 blades. People spend that much at coffee shops a month.

·
Registered
619 Posts
To balance blades, drive a nail perpendicular to a post. Set blade on nail. File the side that hangs down.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Thank you! I maintain the edge with a tabletop grinder. If they become damaged, I just replace them. For $60ish, you can’t beat fresh G6 blades. People spend that much at coffee shops a month.
This is where I get my Gator G6 blades. This is the one for the 60" deck on my Z950R. I think you have that deck and not the 72" right? They did charge a flat $9 for shipping so get a couple sets.

https://forestdepot.com/396-730-blade-john-deere-gator-g6-21in-gator-g6-version-of-96-730?search=396-730&description=true&category_id=0&sub_category=1

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have a Gravely commercial ZTR, bought it new in the late 90s and use a Gator type blade. In 500 hours I've never balanced any blades and I sharpen them with whatever is handy.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I use a bench grinder for my blade maintenance about twice a season. First they get the wire wheel side of the grinder to remove all the crude that builds up on them and then the grinder side to sharpen. Have never balanced a blade in my nearly 50 years of mowing. Probably replace them once every 5-7 years depending on how many rocks they suck up.

Maybe its just me but I don't really notice much difference in cut between a freshly sharpened blade and a dull one.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I use a bench grinder for my blade maintenance about twice a season. First they get the wire wheel side of the grinder to remove all the crude that builds up on them and then the grinder side to sharpen. Have never balanced a blade in my nearly 50 years of mowing. Probably replace them once every 5-7 years depending on how many rocks they suck up.

Maybe its just me but I don't really notice much difference in cut between a freshly sharpened blade and a dull one.
Here is a good visual of dull vs. sharp. If your grass has a brown tint near the top, then your blades are dull. If they are sharp, each blade of grass will be green top to bottom, and your yard will look like mine

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts

I do the same. Honestly, I don't understand how anyone could go through a set of blades every other season unless you're mowing commercially and have to sharpen them once a week. I've hit numerous rocks with my mower over the years and still use the original set from 15 years ago. Just keep touching them up with a bench grinder and a final touch up with a flapper wheel.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I do the same. Honestly, I don't understand how anyone could go through a set of blades every other season unless you're mowing commercially and have to sharpen them once a week. I've hit numerous rocks with my mower over the years and still use the original set from 15 years ago. Just keep touching them up with a bench grinder and a final touch up with a flapper wheel.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
I like having a couple sets just so I can swap them out and sharpen later when I have time. They last a long time though. Also the commercial ones seem to last longer between sharpening than residential ones I have used in the past.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I have three sets of blades for my zturn. Wire wheel to get stuck on junk off then bench grinder or file to touch the up. I Swap out sets and keep them sharp and also just use a cheap blade balancer

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts