Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grabbed this X-Blade kit from Ballard last season and opted to not use it since it's frowned upon to use dual G6 blades on each spindle. Most folks recommend (non-high lift blades) or OEM blades, neither of which I own or want to buy. The kit is brand new aside from cutting the mailer open.

Asking $35 shipped, US only. Pp or venmo F&F

Font Ingredient Packing materials Cuisine Packaging and labeling

Food Ingredient Plant Staple food Cuisine

· Administrator
24,487 Posts
I’ve been running Gator blades in an X blade configuration now for two years. With zero issues. I had the Ballard kit but never ended up using it.

I’ve never heard that double Gators were “frowned upon.”😂

· Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve been running Gator blades in an X blade configuration now for two years. With zero issues. I had the Ballard kit but never ended up using it.

I’ve never heard that double Gators were “frowned upon.”😂
My understanding is it is frowned upon if you're using high lift blades x2, as it will create excessive drag and reduce the tip speed. The best configuration is 2 no lift blades, or 1 no lit and 1 high lift. The G6 are the highest lift and the heaviest.

· Administrator
24,487 Posts
“Your mileage may vary.”

Have you tried it? I have had zero issues and great results. But my conditions are most likely different than yours.

· Premium Member
10,835 Posts
My understanding is it is frowned upon if you're using high lift blades x2, as it will create excessive drag and reduce the tip speed. The best configuration is 2 no lift blades, or 1 no lit and 1 high lift. The G6 are the highest lift and the heaviest.
The only way tip speed would be reduced is if the load was so great the motor was lugging or the belt was slipping. When I looked at this there were different styles being done by different people on You tube. One of the most popular was a gator blade and high lift blade combination.

Reactions: nastorino

· Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pleased with my current setup and not looking to experiment with the X-blades like I once intended. Let the sale continue :)

· Premium Member
11,351 Posts
Have you tried the lighter G5’s? BTW the “high lift” is an exaggeration in my opinion due to the serrated blade backs. I’ve had OEM’s and have the G6 but don’t see any difference in lift. I am told a true high lift is substantially stronger. Anyway the G6 is a lot thicker and heavier than OEM and I’d be hesitant to put 2 per spindle also. The G6 take some grunt at spin up so I’d be more concerned about the weight

Reactions: nastorino

· Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you tried the lighter G5’s? BTW the “high lift” is an exaggeration in my opinion due to the serrated blade backs. I’ve had OEM’s and have the G6 but don’t see any difference in lift. I am told a true high lift is substantially stronger. Anyway the G6 is a lot thicker and heavier than OEM and I’d be hesitant to put 2 per spindle also. The G6 take some grunt at spin up so I’d be more concerned about the weight
The weight is what concerns me. They're already heavier and the unsprung weight if too excessive will wreck a spindle. IMO

I have multiple sets of G6 and they're not ready for replacement yet, so considering G5 is currently out.

Reactions: Kbar
1 - 8 of 8 Posts