Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. Took delivery of my 1025R and my operators manual (Issue A9) doesn’t have any info on ballast weight. I have the quick release ballast box from the dealer. Couple questions:

1. Where do I find weight requirements? I will primarily be removing trees but also moving soil.

2. Is it wise to remove or reduce the ballast weight when I am not lifting soil? Is there any issue with leaving it in?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
18,346 Posts
Proper ballast info is in the loaders owners manual.

Welcome to GTT.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Is this a brand new tractor from a dealer? They should have given you one if so. If not you can find the information for your tractor/loader model online.

Reactions: jdforever and rtgt

·
Administrator
18,346 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Take note that the manual specifies the minimum amount of ballast and each of the options specifies fluid filled tires, wheel weights, or both.

Reactions: Herve' and Kennyd

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this a brand new tractor from a dealer? They should have given you one if so. If not you can find the information for your tractor/loader model online.
nothing in my manual and the dealer had no idea what I was talking about. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm new to SCUT so please bear with me. I just bought a 1025R.

I finally found the Loader Manual online (which the dealer didn't give me. Is this a thing?). I am looking to move some dirt. The manual states to check the "Specifications" page for Ballast. Below is a screenshot of that page. I have no wheel weight that I know of and tires aren't fluid filled.

If this is the minimum, should I add more for moving dirt or is the minimum enough? Also, how much is too much for 3 point hitch with Ballast box (was I supposed to get a manual for the ballast box)?

1E and 1R Series Tractors​
Minimum Rear Ballast
Option 1​
Fluid filled rear tires
350 kg (772 lb) minimum (3-point hitch ballast)​
Option 2​
Three rear wheel weights per wheel
350 kg (772 lb) minimum (3-point hitch ballast

·
Super Moderator
2,471 Posts
If you had rear wheel weights, you'd know. It's a round piece of iron bolted to the wheel, usually painted yellow. If you can see the 5 bolts holding the wheel on, you don't have weights.

How much is too much weight on the 3 pt is when it can't lift it. No manual comes with the ballast box.

I know that's what the manual calls for minimum rear ballast, but some of us use slightly less and have no problems. I have 72 lb starter wheel weights and my ballast box is calculated to be around 550 lbs. If (and rarely) I feel the bucket is full and too much weight, I dump some out and continue on. I think if you start with ~600 lbs you'll be able to get a feel for it.

Reactions: keane and jgayman

·
Registered
180 Posts
I’m not sure what you’re max lift on the three point is but obviously you can’t go more than that in your ballast box. I have a 2025R with windshield washer fluid in the tires and a homemade ballast weighing about 950 pounds. That’s about all I can lift with the three point. The tractor is rock solid with anything I can lift with the loader. I used it for awhile with a box blade for ballast, I wouldn’t go back to that after this setup.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The blocks at the Home Depot link below weigh 33lbs each. Have them deliver 20 of them to your house and put as many into a ballast box as possible. Doing that will give you about 600lbs. ballast.

Reactions: kylew

·
Administrator
18,346 Posts
Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
My needs are pretty simple, so I try to keep my ballasting concepts simple. I'm pretty much all-or-none when it comes to ballast. If I need some ballast, I hook up the ballast box. Your FEL, the thing your ballasting, can only lift about 750 lbs. My 52 inch FEL bucket has a heaped capacity of 6 cu feet, which will weigh about 666 lbs max (for pea rock or dirt), plus the weight of the bucket. My 5.3 cu foot ballast box filled with pea rock at 111 lbs per cubic foot = 588.3lbs...plus 133 lbs for the box itself = 720 .3 total ballast and about 55 lbs for the iMatch. If my ballast box with pea rock isn't heavy enough, I can toss a 42 lb suitcase weigh or two on it.

I opted for pea rock because I had some sitting around. My ballast box has a little door in front, so I can easily empty some out if I want, but I've never seen the need. I didn't want wheel weights or filled tires because a) I don't think I need them and b) I don't want the extra weight when I'm tootling around my yard.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I finally found the Loader Manual online (which the dealer didn't give me. Is this a thing?). I am looking to move some dirt. The manual states to check the "Specifications" page for Ballast. Below is a screenshot of that page. I have no wheel weight that I know of and tires aren't fluid filled.

If this is the minimum, should I add more for moving dirt or is the minimum enough? Also, how much is too much for 3 point hitch with Ballast box (was I supposed to get a manual for the ballast box)?

Minimum Rear Ballast
Option 1​
Fluid filled rear tires
Option 2​

Minimum Rear Ballast
Option 1​
Fluid filled rear tires
Option 2​

I looked online and the rough estimate is a cubic yard of soil is 2,000 pounds. The 54 inch bucket can hold ~.29 cubic yards from my research so about 700lbs. I figure if I don't get a full scoop and have 500lbs in the ballast box I should be good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I'll have to assume you have the 120R loader?

Here is the online version, but the dealer owes you a paper one for each implement you bought.

Kenny - I think I need the OMW58255 because I have the 1025R. I looked at the manual you provided but the specs didn't show the 1025R. Thanks!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Kenny - I think I need the OMW58255 because I have the 1025R. I looked at the manual you provided but the specs didn't show the 1025R. Thanks!
Ballast is the same for the 1023E and the 1025R

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
personally I believe with the loader on tractor and noting on the rear you are already below the ballasting requirement. I think this is one of the most important considerations in using these tractors. But the wheel weights are ballast but have a different level. I say on a Utube that Deere is in a lawsuit over this very matter as use of ballast not discussed...however one can sue over anything...

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
For information...my 1025r "would not" lift the concrete filled ballast box that I use with my JD4400 so I would advise fellow members not to fill with concrete. I thinking this is around 700lbs. I haven't tried the 12 weights on rear but this is around 500 lbs....

1 - 20 of 80 Posts