Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread about weights vs ballast box triggered a question. Has anyone considered using Olympic weight plates as ballast? Used 45 lb. plates are plentiful and run about .50 - .60 per lb. on Craigslist.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
They work,, but,, do not look "right" :dunno:

Then, you are trying to figure out a mount that does not break after 10 hours,,,:flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Weights weight. It doesn't have to be fancy or pretty. It just has to be heavy. I can't remember right now where I saw it but someone bought a tsc drawbar, slid it through a small barrel and filled it with concrete. If I remember right the barrel was laid down on its side so it didn't need a top link. Just backed up with a quick hitch and picked it up. He said it worked great. In a pinch I have a tsc carry all platform. I hooked it up and put the weight I carry in the back of my truck in the winter on it. I have a Heavy Hitch I use when I clean out a livestock shelter I have. It doesn't stick out very far and I need all the room I can get in there. I get what I can with a skid steer but the roof is to short to get it in very far.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They work,, but,, do not look "right" :dunno:

Then, you are trying to figure out a mount that does not break after 10 hours,,,:flag_of_truce:
LOL, yeah they wouldn't look quite as nice but maybe if they were painted JD green. :good2:

Seems the durability of the mount would be the challenge.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Weights weight. It doesn't have to be fancy or pretty. It just has to be heavy. I can't remember right now where I saw it but someone bought a tsc drawbar, slid it through a small barrel and filled it with concrete. If I remember right the barrel was laid down on its side so it didn't need a top link. Just backed up with a quick hitch and picked it up. He said it worked great. In a pinch I have a tsc carry all platform. I hooked it up and put the weight I carry in the back of my truck in the winter on it. I have a Heavy Hitch I use when I clean out a livestock shelter I have. It doesn't stick out very far and I need all the room I can get in there. I get what I can with a skid steer but the roof is to short to get it in very far.
I remember seeing that thread. Wish I was that handy!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 12 one inch plates. They weigh 52lbs. each so 624lbs total, right at the 3 point. I have had no problems with hauling a full bucket of sand. I also hauled my chicken coop which was apparently the weight limit for my 1025 with fork's. I do not have a good picture of weights on the tractor but you can see them in pic of my wife hauling pallets. They attach very quickly and store easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 12 one inch plates. They weigh 52lbs. each so 624lbs total, right at the 3 point. I have had no problems with hauling a full bucket of sand. I also hauled my chicken coop which was apparently the weight limit for my 1025 with fork's. I do not have a good picture of weights on the tractor but you can see them in pic of my wife hauling pallets. They attach very quickly and store easy.
I like it. It looks as though it is simply a bar connected to the 2 lower points on the 3 point hitch. Is that correct? I struggle with spending a thousand bucks for a ballast solution.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You are correct. I Took a 7/8" rod and drilled a hold in each end for the pins. I drilled a 15/16" hole in the center of each plate. I used a piece of pipe cut into sections to keep everything tight together. I took a piece of plywood and screwed a 2 x 2" board on each side to keep them put when not in use. Works well and easy to hook up. It was a cheap alternative to other options.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
I've used lifting weights for going on 5 yrs, Admit only 225 total weight, but original lifting bar cut to width I needed. I use them when using the front blade or snowblower and put them on the front of the tractor when using the rear tiller.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are correct. I Took a 7/8" rod and drilled a hold in each end for the pins. I drilled a 15/16" hole in the center of each plate. I used a piece of pipe cut into sections to keep everything tight together. I took a piece of plywood and screwed a 2 x 2" board on each side to keep them put when not in use. Works well and easy to hook up. It was a cheap alternative to other options.
TD1025, that's exactly what I had visualized. I'm not the handiest guy around but that sounds doable. THanks for the details.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've used lifting weights for going on 5 yrs, Admit only 225 total weight, but original lifting bar cut to width I needed. I use them when using the front blade or snowblower and put them on the front of the tractor when using the rear tiller.
What type of mount do you use on the front?

·
Registered
990 Posts
JM2C but the weight in the Omni looks to high for me. I like the look of the home made down low simple set up but have never found cheap weights. Keep it low and go slow.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
What type of mount do you use on the front?
The top lip from the front quick hitch. Bar lays right on the lip and front part of tractor frame. I use 2 heavy duty cable ties to hold the bar in place.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Do you have any antique tractor shows near you??

I got these for about $0.20 per pound,,,

We have the show each spring,,, and fall.

There are always weights,,, the sellers LOVE to get double scrap price!! :good2:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Do you have any antique tractor shows near you??

I got these for about $0.20 per pound,,,

We have the show each spring,,, and fall.

There are always weights,,, the sellers LOVE to get double scrap price!! :good2:
The weights are only scrap metal if you don't own a tractor. Then they are almost as good as gold. lol

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The weights are only scrap metal if you don't own a tractor. Then they are almost as good as gold. lol
It does take some "adaptive thinking" to use the weights,,, sometimes,,,

The black ones:

The red ones;

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Old brake drums filled with concrete work fairly well for garden tractors.

The last time I was at the scrap metal yard,,,
they had truck drums, if filled, would be perfect for a 3 or 4 Series,,,:good2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts