Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have not filled my ballast box yet, but plan to in the spring. The thing is a it of a pain to move out of the way if need be as it is let alone filled. Has anyone added heavy duty steel casters to the bottom of the box to allow it to be rolled on the shop floor without having to hook it to the 3 point. I am looking at 4 x 250# casters. I do try to park it out of the way when not in use but something always comes up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I bought one of the newer dollies at Harbor Freight that has metal backing and 1000lb capacity thinking that would be good for $11.99 a few weeks ago and the ballast box sits on it good, but I don't have it filled yet and I read later that the wheel bent for someone else. Not sure if that was on this forum or not. Not sure. I bought it, so I'm going to try it out anyway. Still debating on what to fill my ballast box up with.

30 In x 18 In 1000 lbs. Capacity Polypropylene Dolly

Can't see spending $300 for the artillian dolly. Maybe $150 or less and I would think about it.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,849 Posts
I bought one of the newer dollies at Harbor Freight that has metal backing and 1000lb capacity thinking that would be good for $11.99 a few weeks ago and the ballast box sits on it good, but I don't have it filled yet and I read later that the wheel bent for someone else. Not sure if that was on this forum or not. Not sure. I bought it, so I'm going to try it out anyway. Still debating on what to fill my ballast box up with.

Can't see spending $300 for the artillian dolly. Maybe $150 or less and I would think about it.
I have and use the exact same one for our ballast box. Actually I have two, our BX42 chipper sits on one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I built a simple 2X4 frame and used 3" or 4" casters from Lowes. This way I can drop the box and move it around the barn. I didn't want the casters on the box because I trailer sometimes and wanted to put the box down on the trailer and not have it move.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I haven't had mine on the tractor yet, but they sit pretty low don't they? The wheels may drag alot if they are on the bottom of the ballast box.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I haven't had mine on the tractor yet, but they sit pretty low don't they? The wheels may drag alot if they are on the bottom of the ballast box.
Why not just put the casters directly on the bottom of the ballast box? You'll get 3 more inches of clearance, you'll never have to put it away and it will always be ready to roll when you are done with it. :hi:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Depends on the box I guess, and the size wheels you put under it, but they don't sit that low.
20190126_091735.jpg

·
Registered
673 Posts

I use this one for the ballast box and the front quick hitch blade.

Doug

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
451 Posts
The problems with the casters on the box is when you drag it in the dirt, and you will sometime the crap will get into the caster bearings and destroy them. How do you change them after the box is full with out having to empty the box? If you weld studs on the bottom of the box, you could probably change them, but the studs have to be an exact length so they don't interfere with the caster rotation. I just use a dolly I purchased at Home Depot and have not had any problems with the casters.

Reactions: DanW and Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
mrhemi: need an Imatch to hook up the heavy box...see you don't have one...you can move with tractor and quick release anywhere in the building...now having said that you could set if on something....like the harbor freight platform...putting the coasters on the box in my opinion would not be a good idea as mud/dirt will mess up bearing...I've tried something like that....one thing you might add to box is a a handle to prevent rolling a finger or hand into something....it will be unforgivable it you collide with another object. I might go to harbor freight and get some of those...I've used the wooden ones from Tractor Supply. Invest in the quick hitch and your back with appauld….

·
Administrator
18,340 Posts
The problems with the casters on the box is when you drag it in the dirt, and you will sometime the crap will get into the caster bearings and destroy them. How do you change them after the box is full with out having to empty the box? If you weld studs on the bottom of the box, you could probably change them, but the studs have to be an exact length so they don't interfere with the caster rotation. I just use a dolly I purchased at Home Depot and have not had any problems with the casters.
Exactly.

Castors mounted on the box is a really bad idea :bigthumb:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,849 Posts
Drill and tap or weld nuts to the inside of the ballast box.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,849 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts