Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried bolting on a set of Ken's Hooks on their ballast box? I was thing of the strong channel iron in the top, it could be either the front piece or rear piece. Just curious as I have a 61" HD bucket and don't really want to drill into or weld on it just yet (maybe after it get beat up a little bit). I plan on the Artillian grapple and it had chain hooks built into it so I really don't need it up there either. My ballast box is always on if doing loader or grapple work so it seems like it may cool to pull logs out with or getting unstuck in the need should arise.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,668 Posts
Pulling that high up may not give you the results your looking for and could be dangerous. Just a thought.

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
I will only pull logs from the drawbar. Any side tension when pulling from a 3-point implement could easily bend the linkage - 3-point hitches are designed to pull straight only.

·
Super Moderator
4,838 Posts
I'd think the angles would be all wrong for doing what you're describing. I don't know that I'd want to try getting unstuck by pulling on a ballast box attached to the 3pt either. That's a lot of heavy tugging on moving parts. If that's an actual concern, mount a 2" box receiver under the PTO and mount a hook down there where it's low and connected to something very solid.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys make great points, thank you. I hadn't thought of the side forces or pulling from up high. I will put a clevis in my drawbar and call it good. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
7,427 Posts
Pulling that high up may not give you the results your looking for and WOULD be dangerous. Just a thought.
I will only pull logs from the drawbar. Any side tension when pulling from a 3-point implement could easily bend the linkage - 3-point hitches are designed to pull straight only.
Totally agree. :good2: (fixed Gizmo2's)

Anytime you pull above the rear axle center line you are asking for trouble.

·
Premium Member
7,427 Posts
Now you could bolt a pair of KBOGHs to the sides of your ballast box. One each side, opening facing down.
You could then hook a chain hook to hook and use your loader to move the ballast box when it is not mounted on your
tractor (provided your tractor/loader could handle the weight of it WITHOUT rear ballast)

·
Administrator
17,079 Posts
Well, thanks everybody for making me loose a sale:nunu:

But seriously, I agree with what's been posted, the box is not a good place to pull from in most cases.

Now you could bolt a pair of KBOGHs to the sides of your ballast box. One each side, opening facing down.
You could then hook a chain hook to hook and use your loader to move the ballast box when it is not mounted on your
tractor (provided your tractor/loader could handle the weight of it WITHOUT rear ballast)
Rather than hooks, I'd suggest the clevis mounts and shackles for that purpose, it would be a bit safer in case the box turned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts