Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3038E, X590, X320, 1949 Ford 8N, 1959 Ford 841 Diesel
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to order a new 2025r and am wondering which way to add ballast. Which do you prefer, and why?

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Heavy hitch all that way.
Nothing easier then rolling my HH cart and hitch over to the tractor and clicking onto my 1-match and later putting it back on the cart and pushing it back under the work bench when not needed.
Also the difference in ground clearance is substantial, if your planning to trailer your machine around to different locations much at all, then loading and unloading with the HH is the only way to go.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing easier then rolling my HH cart and hitch over to the tractor and clicking onto my 1-match and later putting it back on the cart and pushing it back under the work bench when not needed.
Also the difference in ground clearance is substantial, if your planning to trailer your machine around to different locations much at all, then loading and unloading with the HH is the only way to go.
That's really good info. Will keep that in mind. I don't plan to trailer a lot, but some.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Heavy Hitch, weights, stand and shipping are pricey, but I have no regrets. Easy to put on and off my iMatch, and I’ve used the welded hook on the hitch many times to drag heavy logs I can’t lift with grapple (or to drag off a pile so I can grab with grapple) and in a recent case to get my tractor pulled out of deep mud. Having chains handy in Ken’s chain boxes is the bee’s knees.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I like the ballast box. I use it to store my suitcase weights and chains, and they serve as ballast as well. A plus is the weights and chains only take up about half the space in the box, and the rest can be used for transporting things needed for various jobs like a chain saw and fuel cans. Another plus is the vertical tubes in my Titan box that come in handy for transporting shovels, rakes, and tamping bar when I'm using the FEL to move dirt.

I do have a Heavy Hitch front bracket for the suitcase weights that I use when needed, mostly when I have the spreader on the back with a full load of lime or fertilizer.

And all I need to roll the ballast box around in the barn is a $20 furniture moving dolly.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Because I didnt order a backhoe with mine, my dealer made me buy the ballast box. The cost wasnt all that bad (around $250ish if I remember correctly) and at the same time, they let me buy (8) 42 pound weights at cost (at least they claimed it was cost $25 each)
Thus, I have come to like the ballast box as I store over 250 pounds of chain which usually sit in the corner of my garage, plus I hang the weights inside the ballast box)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I normally leave the backhoe on whenever possible. If thats not on then I do have a ballast box. I imagine that the heavy hitch is probably very nice, I bet very few people who buy it are unhappy with it. However I already have a ballast box and lots of scrap metal and rocks around here so the added cost makes no sense for me. All winter the 3 point snowblower has been enough counter weight for me to max out the loader. Heavy hitch might be nice if you do not plan to have attachments on the back very often or want easy removal. I pretty much always have something hanging off the back already.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Titan makes a cool one - has a trap door for releasing the ballast material, built in tool tubes, and a built in receiver for a hitch if I recall correctly

I have the standard issue frontier/JD one and it lacks all of that

I was able to fill it up for free with gravel at the dealer and have room to put various tools/chains etc into - it’s always nice carrying ballast that is actually useful! I don’t think you can go wrong with either

I often find myself in the position of wanting a rear hitch on mine for pulling a trailer etc, so having the heavy hitch or the titan on at those times would be nice

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I bet most users just make an educated guess at the weights of their filled ballast boxes. But for $20-30 you can buy a crane scale. Hang it from the loader and pick up your filled ballast box and then you will know for sure. I found that my estimates with pavers, sand, and gravel were consistently too heavy - a sand filled box I was sure was 600 pounds really weighed closer to 400 pounds. There are plenty of choices of crane scales on Amazon, both analog and digital, for around $30.

·
Registered
639 Posts
You can do the same with a ballast box and a $12 furniture dolly from Menards or Horror Freight. Trailering is different of course. Either way my ballast box hasn't seen a days work in 15 years so it never goes for a trailer ride. Must be a, whoops, this isn't the political forum.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A pretty even split in the voting, but great info. Thanks all!

·
Registered
61 Posts
The heavy hitch (when you include shipping) is crazy expensive depending on where you live (shipping was over 300 bucks to my house). So, way too much $$ for me..if given the choice I'd love the heavy hitch I just can't justify the money. So far if the loader is on the backhoe is too so I haven't had a need either way. If ballast box I'd definitely get the one from titan as it has the trap door and the receiver hitch. Basically for me the ballast box ready to go (filled with cement) is cheaper than just the SHIPPING for a heavy hitch (and that hasn't paid for the hitch OR the weights). I believe the heavy hitch is made in the northeast so if you're in that part of the country it may be very reasonable (I'm in central Tx).

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
288 Posts
My dad and i each own a 1025R. He purchased a Ballast Box.
ballast box is super quick to pop-on-and off, it costs much much less, and if you get one, get one with the Reese Hitch receiver built-in to the rear of it.. we estimate his ballast box weighs 650lbs.
with that said.. I chose to purchase the Heavy Hitch Double instead of the ballast box.. and I only have five 40lb weights I purchased for my front bumper. I haven't taken time to find the best deal on suitcase weights to fill my HH Double.

but I have other options for ballast: I've used my Frontier 725lb 5ft hydraulic-scarifier box blade which hangs WAY out of the rear. I have also recently purchased a 3 point hitch 60"x20" roller witch will weigh about 1,300lb after water is added.. and the roller doesn't stick-out any further than a Ballast Box.
i really want weights on my HH Double, but it's no more hassel to hook-up my implement, right now.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
I went with the HH and suitecase weights. I wanted a 3 point receiver hitch anyway, so check that box. I wanted low profile due to tight areas of the yard, and the box is a huge thing sticking off the back. And I wanted suitcase weights to hang on the front when needed. So it cost more but the HH and suitcase weights won.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I have a separate three point receiver hitch, purchased from Tractor Supply for around $75. I use it for moving my equipment and horse trailers around the place. Using a trailer ball on the ballast box hitch as a trailer mover can put more weight on the subcompact tractor three point than it can handle. One of my trailers has a tongue weight of about 600 pounds by itself, so a full ballast box added to that would be over 1,200 pounds. Also, the ballast box adds a long lever arm, about 2 feet more to the package. I have been moving my heavy trailer and the tractor gets so light on the front axle that it won't steer, whilch makes for a scary ride.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Titan makes a cool one - has a trap door for releasing the ballast material, built in tool tubes, and a built in receiver for a hitch.
No regrets for me.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Ballast box.
I got a good deal on a used one, and scrap metal was cheaper than suitcase weights.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
I have a JD ballast box that's over 600# with scrap metal, including some lead. I weighed the box & what I put in it!
Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Tractor Tread

Recently bought a Titan hitch that will hold 8- 42# suitcase weights:

I can easily add more weight if needed as I have a couple 100# suitcase weights I can fit on a receiver bracket some way! I went with the Titan as it takes up less space (front to back) than the ballast box!

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
I love my Heavy Hitch setup, you can use 42lb or 70lb suitcase weights.

rob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.