Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions for the folks who put the pieces of PVC pipe in their rear ballast boxes. What size pipe did you use, 3" or 4", and if you could change to the other size, would you and why? Did you put caps on the bottom ends of the pipe to keep the concrete from leaking and filling the bottom of the pipes? How did you keep the pipes from wanting to float up in the concrete until everything hardened? After the concrete hardened, did you drill any holes into the bottom of the pipe to let water drain out?

A little birdie told me I may be getting a visit from a guy in a green shirt driving a green truck tomorrow and I want to be ready. :lol:

Andy B.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Andy,can't help with the plastic questions,but for sure,you'd want drainage holes in the bottom. I don't know if anyone used that large (3" or 4") a diameter of pipe. I used 2" and everything will fit except my axe. But being I use removable weights,I can carry the weird sizes right in the box. So,maybe for those odd items a piece of 3" might be a good idea.

Greg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Nice looking ballast box Greg, did you make that or is that the Deere box with your customizations? Either way, I want to make something like that, just a little larger for the 110. Pretty much going to do that exact thing with the pipe for shovels and such. Nice work:thumbup1gif:

Sorry, I can't give a definitive answer on the original question. But I will say I've never seen a whole in the bottom of a ballast box and would presume that the bigger is better than smaller. Hopefully you get the tractor tomorrow!

·
Registered
40 Posts
PVC in Ballast box

I used a 4" (holds my chain saw), a 3" (holds chain), a 2" (holds an axe), & 3 X 1-1/2" (holds shovels & rakes). I can carry other things, but this is the usual set up. I just taped the bottom of the pipes, positioned them and shoveled the concrete slurry around them. I do not see a need for holes because my BB sits in a pole barn. It did get water in once during a rainstorm because I didn't have enough sense to get out of the rain. Wanted to finish. Just set the BB in the sun the next day and all the water evaporated.
Roger:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Nice looking ballast box Greg, did you make that or is that the Deere box with your customizations?
Thanks for the compliment Martian. I did make the box,and I was asked to post my build,so when I get some time,I'll write it up.

Greg

·
Premium Member
7,596 Posts
I used 2" plastic conduit (more sunlight resistance than PVC pipe) on the outside of the box. My box has scrap iron & lead in it with a galvanized tray about 8" below the top. Chainsaw fits into the plastic sleeve on the left side. RR rail skids keep the box off the ground when not in use. 2" receiver accepts light towing. This is for a 790.

I have also added a second set of lower 3-pt pins 5" below the originals so I can load it onto the trailer without the box skids dragging! ~~ Lowell

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lots more good tips here. Thanks guys! I really like that chainsaw holder. I need to find some of that flat tubing.

Is there a "Look what I added to my ballast box" thread and sticky? :laugh:

Andy B.

·
Premium Member
7,596 Posts
Lots more good tips here. Thanks guys! I really like that chainsaw holder. I need to find some of that flat tubing.

Is there a "Look what I added to my ballast box" thread and sticky? :laugh:

Andy B.
My chainsaw holder is made with 3 layers of 1/4" sheet plastic (bought it from a plastics recycle plant nearby, 4x8' sheets). front & back are solid sheets, center consists of two 1" strips. Thicker bar might take double center strips. Could also be made of exterior plywood. ~~ Lowell

Reactions: andy b.

·
Registered
954 Posts
andy b,

Sounds like you got some good advice and additional options. We didn't go with cement or concrete but chose crushed limestone instead. As you can see from the pics, we used both 2 and 4 inch pvc. When we do it again (and we have to since we now have the iMatch and this box will not work), I intend on using all 4" pvc (and JD paint). The 2 inch limits us to one tool, the 4" allows more than one rake, shovel, etc plus we can get our chain in there also.

I look forward to see what you decide on and go with. Btw...with the crushed limestone and 4 tubes of pvc, our BB weighs in at 610 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Lost why wouldn't that ballest box work with you iMatch quick hitch?
I appears to be the same as mine only mine has the added bushings on the pins, also looks like you removed your top link. (to paint?)

·
Administrator
22,655 Posts
Lost why wouldn't that ballest box work with you iMatch quick hitch?
I appears to be the same as mine only mine has the added bushings on the pins, also looks like you removed your top link. (to paint?)
The original box's where not iMatch compatible-the connection for the top link is not tall enough. You can just barley see in one of the pictures how short they are.

Lost, My friend has one of those older BB's, he added extension to the pieces to allow it to fit the iMatch, might be an option for you possibly if you can find a local weldor.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks Ken. Yes I noticed the metal looked shorter, but I thought it was just my imagination without seeing the bushing there. That would save lost some money if a welder would lengthen that part.

·
Registered
124 Posts
In my ballast I have one 2" and two 3" pipes. i loated them where i wanted them and traced witha marker. then I removed them and drilled drainage holes in the marks. then I put them back in with a ring of silicone and poured the concrete in after it was good and dry.

I would have went 4" if my ballast set up would have allowed that. that leaves room to reach in if something small gets dropped in there.

It helped a lot that the concrete truck was here for the pole barn when I filled it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.