Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Artillian Tractor, LLC
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Having a backhoe, I don't use the 3pt hitch all that often so the lift arms and top link are always stowed on or near my ballast box, usually in a precarious pile so I decided to find a way to store the arms within the ballast box.

Because the 2520 lift arms are as crooked as a hedge fund manager, I had to use 3" PVC pipe as the sleeves. They were cut to 20" long. My ballast box had some surface rust and flaking paint inside at the bottom so I ground it all down and repainted before filling. Then, I just filled it up with some 3/4" crushed stone, leaving the last couple of inches as a storage tray for incidentals like chain and straps. Last, I hung a couple of suitcase weights on the sides for some added ballast. I was planning to also add sand to fill the voids between the stone, but decided (for now) to leave it unfilled for drainage/ventilation.

Oh, and to reclaim as much ballast volume as possible, I filled the two lift arm tubes with gravel up about half way, to the point where the hitch arms hang down. The top link pipe was left a bit emptier so it can still be used for a couple of shovels, rakes, etc.

All and all I'm thrilled with it and am glad that my 3pt hitch arms have a proper home when not on the machine.

I know some people fill them up with cement, but I just can't seem to commit to doing that. If I had done that originally, I never would have been able to put this idea into action. With the gravel, I can always dump it out and start over again. Anyway, I hope this helps someone, somewhere, someday.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
That is pretty slick Chris. :thumbup1gif: Custom and still allows for later mods. Very nice job.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Good job of thinking inside the box :thumbup1gif:.

Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts