Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a 1025r what's your preference, a ballast box, or a heavy hitch? If a BB what do you use for ballast. If a Heavy Hitch which model hitch and which size weights? I think they make 42 lb. and 70 lb. The HH seems like a good idea. Looks like the weights are easily added or removed and the tow hitch is always ready for use.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have the Omni mfg transformer, which is similar to heavy hitch. I use 8 suitcase weights, giving me about 500 lbs with the transformer and 3ph on the rear. I like this approach because I can still tow or drag, and the transformer also accepts a basket on top. Easy to remove the weights too. In the summer, I remove the weights and put the basket on. The basket holds a ton of tools or whatever you might need with or without the yard cart. The weight box is cheaper though.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'll second the omni transformer and suitcase weights. Have been using them for about a year now without issue and find plenty of uses.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not familiar with the Omni but I'll google it. Which size weights do you recommend?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Must be missing something, but it looks like the tow hitch receiver has to be added to the transformer. The photos of the transformer platform by itself don't show the receiver but the photos of it in use do show one. What's the deal? And would you have to special order one capable of holding the larger weights? Can the weights be hung on the forward face or only the aft face?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Must be missing something, but it looks like the tow hitch receiver has to be added to the transformer. The photos of the transformer platform by itself don't show the receiver but the photos of it in use do show one. What's the deal? And would you have to special order one capable of holding the larger weights? Can the weights be hung on the forward face or only the aft face?
The receiver is included....it is mentioned in the description.

The weights fit fore and aft and when ordering all you have to do is ask for the weight bracket t be raised (which is free). Lead time is all about the same.

·
Registered
332 Posts
We originated the Heavy Hitch over 8 years ago and have a number of different models to work with 42#, 70# and even 100# weights depending on the style. We have models that will handle over 1100# if needed.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
The heavy hitch is a good way to go, IF you also use the suitcase weights on the front of the tractor.

·
Registered
332 Posts
For a 1025r what's your preference, a ballast box, or a heavy hitch? If a BB what do you use for ballast. If a Heavy Hitch which model hitch and which size weights? I think they make 42 lb. and 70 lb. The HH seems like a good idea. Looks like the weights are easily added or removed and the tow hitch is always ready for use.
Do you have an iMatch or plan on getting one for your 1025R?

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
If the choice is between the heavy hitch and a ballast box, I'd go with the heavy hitch.

The suitcase weights can be used for a lot of different things and the heavy hitch gives you many options as well.

A ballast box is just that, a box.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have an iMatch or plan on getting one for your 1025R?
Still looking right now. Just trying to educate myself before making any big mistakes. Leaning toward 1025r right now but have some reservations about lack of split brakes as snow removal would be main task with some bucket work and trailer moving during the warmer months. I like the 4100 and 4110 as they are about the same footprint and turning radius as the 1000 series but with some of the features of the 2000 series but finding one within a reasonable distance that's worthwhile seems to be a challenge.

Not sure I'd spring for a quick hitch right now as I don't anticipate using the 3pt for much but ballast and towing right now and the heavy hitch seems to fill that need. Are most implements and hitches iMatch compatible or do they need to be ordered as such?

·
Administrator
20,973 Posts
Why not look at the 2025R? It's just a tad bigger than a 1025R with essentially just a slightly larger frame. It has split brakes.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Have you looked at Mahindra Max. They have split brakes.
Why not look at the 2025R? It's just a tad bigger than a 1025R with essentially just a slightly larger frame. It has split brakes.
I believe you are both in the incorrect thread......I'd move your posts but don't have the power....

·
Administrator
18,483 Posts
I like the 4100 and 4110 as they are about the same footprint and turning radius as the 1000 series...
The 4100/4110 is a larger frame size than the 1 series, much closer to the 2 series of today. Here is a picture of my 4110 and my neighbors 2210 together, the 2110 is equivalent to the 1 series today.

2 JD's in the Garage.jpg

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm considering the 2025r and have driven it and a 4100. The 4100 seems to turn quite a bit tighter than the 2025r. The 1025r is pretty attractive right now with the incentives and is considerably less $ than the 2025r.

Back to the thread topic. How much ballast do you need for bucket work, snow plowing, etc. Do you just put as much as the hitch or ballast box can hold?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm considering the 2025r and have driven it and a 4100. The 4100 seems to turn quite a bit tighter than the 2025r. The 1025r is pretty attractive right now with the incentives and is considerably less $ than the 2025r.

Back to the thread topic. How much ballast do you need for bucket work, snow plowing, etc. Do you just put as much as the hitch or ballast box can hold?
The 1025r manual calls for

A) 601lbs rear hitch ballast & fluid filled rear tires
B) 506lbs rear hitch ballast & three rear wheel weights per side
C) 517lbs rear hitch ballast, one rear wheel weight per side & fluid filled tires

when dealing with the FEL

·
Registered
342 Posts
For snow plowing, you aren't really looking for ballast, but rather weight for traction. Could get by with less weight for the purpose. But R4's are terrible in the snow. Better plan on chains if going R4s and have much snow to deal with. Or go turf tires.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I buy new I'll get turfs. If used you get what you get but it sounds like R-4's can be greatly improved for snow by grooving them.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts