Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 John Deere 1025R with three point i match and frontier grapple,bucket loader.
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting pretty good use out of it. I have a couple layers of flat stone at the bottom. And use the rest of the space for my tow chain,loppers,clearing saw harness. Sometime haul chain saw in it when needed. Gas container too.

just a handy all around cheap carrier Of stuff.

·
Premium Member
20,081 Posts
I have a couple layers of stone also , but under that layer is apx 8" of 1/2-3/4" metal the width and length of the ballast box.
Just be sure you have enough weight in the box when doing any type heavy lifting. or hauling using the fel.
You can tell when the steering wheel gets harder to turn...
Just be safe and aware..

·
Premium Member
4,974 Posts
I’m getting pretty good use out of it. I have a couple layers of flat stone at the bottom. And use the rest of the space for my tow chain,loppers,clearing saw harness. Sometime haul chain saw in it when needed. Gas container too.

just a handy all around cheap carrier Of stuff.
I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but if you got room for all that stuff, you don't have enough ballast.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
My ballast box is filled with >900 pounds of concrete. A few stones isn’t enough ballast, the weights listed in the manual are the minimum requirements. Your tractor is a totally different machine when it’s properly ballasted.

·
Registered
2021 John Deere 1025R with three point i match and frontier grapple,bucket loader.
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where do you put all your stuff when you need to fill the ballast box with ballast? Sounds like your tractor could use a trunk!
I’ve plenty of ballast. Couple layers of heavy flat stones about 1/2 way up the box. Plus weight of imatch quick release. So far no issues with fel.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've posted these pictures a few times, but every once in awhile the ballast box questions come out and I feel the need to share my idea again. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback. Unfortunately, I forget exactly what the total weight was after I did this, but I remember using 2.5 sixty lb bags of concrete on each side. I want to say it's around 450 as is and around 780 with the suitcase weights in the bottom pic. Works great and you can adjust the ballast as needed. Yes, you still have the low-hanging ballast box, but the only time that's been even close to an issue for me here in the flatlands of NW Ohio is when loading/unloading from my trailer with it's short little ramps. One of these days I'll post a video of me loading/unloading with no ramps, using only the backhoe and loader. While unplanned, I love how my Coleman Playmate cooler fits perfectly in the second picture.

Green Waste containment Grass Rectangle Groundcover

Rectangle Box Toy Gas Plastic

Motor vehicle Vehicle Agricultural machinery Bumper Automotive tire

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but if you got room for all that stuff, you don't have enough ballast.
You dont sound like a jerk at all. Your a concerned and experienced tractor owner. Thats how I see it.

If you think about it, its not really a lot of stuff. Loppers,10’ of chain,the gas can is that little pre mixed can for chain saw/clearing saw. The chain saw sits on the top by an inch or two. The clearing saw harness collapses into nothing. The majority of ballast box is flat stone plus got beet juice in rear tires.

Does the compliment of weight you suggest keep the 1025R from feeling inclined to tipping over?

i like the guy who built a wooden top cover for his ballast box. Think i’m gonna do that.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,229 Posts
Regardless of what you have in your ballast box, the minimum recommended rear hitch weight is 580 lbs according to the current 120R loader manual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.