Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently mow with a 60D deck and no other implements attached, but there is this one hill that gives me a little concern. What type of incline do I need to be concerned with and at what point should I add the ballast box.

I've also got a rear blade that I can run when I hook up the FEL, but I am not sure if I'll need any additonal weight?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Corndog Hater
12,731 Posts
Your owners manual should have the recommending ballasting requirements. The rear blade may be enough depending on what you are doing with the FEL. But for heavier duty jobs involving the FEL, I would think additional weight on the back will be needed. As for the mowing, it has always been my experience that you want the weight to balance out front to back. Maybe I am confused, but I would worry about too much weight on the back making the tractor light in the front, especially on an incline. It might not be so bad if you are mowing from top of slope to toe of slope? :unknown:

·
Administrator
22,373 Posts
Great question!

This is a great thread regarding ballast on your tractor. Don't hesitate to ask any questions if this doesn't answer your questions.:thumbup1gif:

I also moved your thread to the subcompact tractor section for a better fit and more responses. Hope you don't mind.:hi:

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
I agree with ColonyPark, if mowing up the slope use 4x4 and Diff lock up and down slope. As for going across take it slow ,till you feel it is safe or unsafe..then either keep going on or back straight back till it starts leveling off. One time I was mowing out across a steep slope , stopped tractor , got off and tried rocking tractor to see how light the upper side of tractor was. Found out it wasn't as bad as first thought but I did stop mowing across that section and mow it now up and down slope.. Wasn't the best way to find if it was to steep but wasn't sure how else to I could find out.
As for adding weight for mowing ,,,no never have and not planning on adding any weight. Using the fel you may need more weight than your rear blade if doing anything with a lot of weight . Again don't put bucket high in air going on slopes . Avoid if all possible but if you have to keep bucket close to ground , go slow and no harsh or quick turns.
After a few times you will start feeling better working on slopes.. Having a Sub compact for close to 10yrs with FEL and BH the pucker factor is still there at times.

·
Administrator
22,373 Posts
The 60D is excellent ballast for mowing. It's nice and heavy with the lowest CG (Center of Gravity) you can get. Once you remove the mower, the tractor becomes a lot less stable on the same slopes. Add a loader with a bucketful and it can get hairy very fast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.