Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1023E I'm buying used (75 hrs) has FEL and MMM but no ballast. I can't believe he used it without ballast. I asked if he ever got the rear wheels off the ground, answer was yes. Options I've been researching include ballast box (bulky and ugly), suitcase weights, fluid in tires (seems like it would be a real pain if you have to change a tire or tube and not easily removed), wheel weights, etc. I like the suitcase weights (compact and easy to attach/remove/store), and found a set of 6 x 40lbs + hitch bracket nearby for $395. Sounds like it is a Cat 0 implement from a lawn tractor, but I think you can adapt that to a Cat 1 hitch. Trouble is that is only about 275 lbs total and won't accept more weights. Operator manual says 500lbs minimum ballast for the loader, does that sound right? If so, I'd need to add wheel weights or tire fluid to get me into the 400 - 500 lb range. I have also designed on paper a welded metal frame I could build that attaches to the 3PH and is then filled with concrete. I'd need a 24"x15"x15" block of concrete to get it around 500 lbs. Used to have something similar on the front end of a JD 2510 for plowing. Not sure how excited I am about that option either though.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm renting a trailer and making a 300 mile road trip to pick up the tractor tomorrow..:greentractorride:
ps. thx for all the great replies to my first post on the independent lift!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I have the full set of wheel weights (1 starter and two wheel weights per wheel) on my 1 series. When I don't need the backhoe but am using the loader I use an Omni Transformer (TRANSFORMER Platform with Integrated Weight Rack - OMNI Mfg LLC) and suitcase weights. It will hold 8 40 lbs weights (320lbs) of weights and weighs 70 lbs. That is still 100 lbs shy of the needed ballast but I also use a receiver weight bracket (OMNI Counter Weight Bracket for suitcase weights! - OMNI Mfg LLC) and more suitcase weights if it is heavy loader work.

I like the versatility and of the Omni hitch and suitcase weights though I wish I had gotten it set up for 70lb weights so the receiver hitch bracket isn't needed.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Tire ballast is not counter ballast for the loader. You need weight behind the rear axle to offset the weight on the front end. Adding weight to the tires does nothing to take the weight off the front axle.

Get a ballast box.

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Ballast boxes may be ugly, but they sure are effective at what they do best, putting lots of weight behind the rear axle where you need it. Dealers usually have them laying around. You may be able to get a good deal on one. Then you can fill it with something cheap and heavy. This way you don't have a ton of dough in it. You can always get something else down the road.

I wouldn't be without my ballast box.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I vote Ballast box aswell. My be ugly, but if you hit a tree with it, its not going to dent. Have a look at the few threads around were people not only have the ballast box function, but have transformed them into tool carriers and storage.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I like the versatility and of the Omni hitch and suitcase weights though I wish I had gotten it set up for 70lb weights so the receiver hitch bracket isn't needed.
I did not see a difference on ordering the Omni Transformer for the different weights. Did I miss something? I have not used any particular ballast on my 1025. I have always used the loader with an implement on the 3 point to help counter the loader some. The Transformer looked very versatile and allows a receiver hitch for moving around my trailers. i ordered one this morning and I was hoping to use 70lb weights on it. I hope I can.

·
Registered
667 Posts
My vote is for the ballast box. When removed from the tractor does not take up much space and looks like it is easy to move with artillian's attachment.

Doug

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I did not see a difference on ordering the Omni Transformer for the different weights. Did I miss something? I have not used any particular ballast on my 1025. I have always used the loader with an implement on the 3 point to help counter the loader some. The Transformer looked very versatile and allows a receiver hitch for moving around my trailers. i ordered one this morning and I was hoping to use 70lb weights on it. I hope I can.
For 70 lb weights OMNI moves the weight bracket higher on the verticle tube. Call them and they'll do it. It use to be free, I assume it still is.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
i vote ballast box, and set up as tool carrier

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have used a Heavy Hitch with 8 suitcase weights----the FEL worked OK. Then I got a ballast box and filled it with fine crushed stone. It worked much better when using FEL for serious work. I made a wheeled cart for the ballast box. With an I-match hitch it easily comes off onto the cart in about 10 seconds and I can move it around my garage. Either way you definitely need ballast.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have used a Heavy Hitch with 8 suitcase weights----the FEL worked OK.
What size weights were you using? One of the reasons I am going with the suitcase weights is to also use them on some of my implements. Most of the loader work I do also involves using mu box blade ant the extra weight would be useful as ballast and sometimes on using the box blade on hard soil.

Thanks for the info psrumors, I will call Omni today and talk about setting up the Transformer for the larger 70lb weights. If that is still not enough I will need a ballast box and a dog house to stay in if I want any sleep! :lol:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
What size weights were you using? One of the reasons I am going with the suitcase weights is to also use them on some of my implements. Most of the loader work I do also involves using mu box blade ant the extra weight would be useful as ballast and sometimes on using the box blade on hard soil.

Thanks for the info psrumors, I will call Omni today and talk about setting up the Transformer for the larger 70lb weights. If that is still not enough I will need a ballast box and a dog house to stay in if I want any sleep! :lol:
Eight 70 lb weights is 560 lbs and the heavy hitch weighs 70 so that is 630 lbs of ballast. That is more than the owners manual calls for without wheel weights. You will be fine.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I like the Heavy Hitch, especially the dual receiver hitch setup. It is great for moving bumper pull also gooseneck trailers and has many other uses if you have 2" receiver implements. Well worth looking at depending on what you use the tractor for.

·
Registered
363 Posts

I was using 8 42 pound weights

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ballast Box

I have the ballast box on my 1023. When you consider the cost and effectiveness I couldn't see going any other way. When I want it out of the way I drop it on a furniture dolly and roll it in the garage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ballast box it will probably be then. Maybe I can pick up a used one, then fill it with scrap iron, sand, rocks, whatever. Cheap and effective. Thx for the input.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts