Green Tractor Talk banner

Ballast options

1961 Views 46 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  grnspot110
So I have used my box blade with 4-42# weights hanging on it plus 2-20' 3/8" chain in the quick hitch boxes. Works okay would like a little bit more weight. But the big issue is I need it to be more compact! I do a lot of work in the woods and finding room to maneuver can be tricky and having a box blade hanging out just makes it harder. Also hilly area so I can use as much departure angle as I can get tend to drag the box blade at times.
Also I really need a rear 2" reciever.

Options I have found:
1. Ballast box filled with concrete - looks like I can get close to 800# with this which is about the min. weight I need. Cheapest option, models have 2" reciever, and some have slots to move with forks which is a nice bonus. Also can store shovels, racks which I dont have right now.

2. Heavy Hitch - Expensive, but can hold a good bit more weight then the ballast box. Has a hitch and appears to be much more compact then a ballast box. However when you add up the hitch, weights, and stand (i would have to get the stand cause how else do you store it!). No place to store a shovel.

3. Build my own with concrete - Could make this more compact then a Ballast box since you could build it to tuck under the Quick Hitch like the Heavy Hitch does. Issue here is I do not weld so not sure how I could build the frame with a receiver hitch.

4. Not really an option for me cause it does not solve the compact issue and that is a Carry-All.

Leaning towards the Heavy Hitch, just the price tag is holding me back.
Reactions: jeff_tractor
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
You can get the JD ballast box with the extension, I don't remember what weight that gets you but I'm thinking 1200#.
Another option that would address all of your needs would be a Big Tool Rack, but unfortunately, they aren't cheap.
So I have used my box blade with 4-42# weights hanging on it plus 2-20' 3/8" chain in the quick hitch boxes. Works okay would like a little bit more weight. But the big issue is I need it to be more compact! I do a lot of work in the woods and finding room to maneuver can be tricky and having a box blade hanging out just makes it harder. Also hilly area so I can use as much departure angle as I can get tend to drag the box blade at times.
Also I really need a rear 2" reciever.

Options I have found:
1. Ballast box filled with concrete - looks like I can get close to 800# with this which is about the min. weight I need. Cheapest option, models have 2" reciever, and some have slots to move with forks which is a nice bonus. Also can store shovels, racks which I dont have right now.

2. Heavy Hitch - Expensive, but can hold a good bit more weight then the ballast box. Has a hitch and appears to be much more compact then a ballast box. However when you add up the hitch, weights, and stand (i would have to get the stand cause how else do you store it!). No place to store a shovel.

3. Build my own with concrete - Could make this more compact then a Ballast box since you could build it to tuck under the Quick Hitch like the Heavy Hitch does. Issue here is I do not weld so not sure how I could build the frame with a receiver hitch.

4. Not really an option for me cause it does not solve the compact issue and that is a Carry-All.

Leaning towards the Heavy Hitch, just the price tag is holding me back.
That is basically the same as a carry-all and it would be too big hanging off the back. Going for compact.
Another option that would address all of your needs would be a Big Tool Rack, but unfortunately, they aren't cheap.
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Tread

I built this last year. Far more compact that a box blade (it doesn't extend outside the tires). It holds 18"×33"×5.5" concrete blocks. Blocks use 2.5 80 pound bags of concrete each, plus steel tubing for a lift point, and some rebar. They weigh a little over 200 lbs each. I need to make a few more. I can take more pictures of the box and/or blocks if it'll help.
Not welding is a big drawback to fabbing your own. You could get a cheap trailer mover for the three point then box it in with wooden forms
and fill with concrete but you’ll probably be close to just buying a ballast box by that point.
Thats great but I have no real means for welding so not really an option.
I built this last year. Far more compact that a box blade (it doesn't extend outside the tires). It holds 18"×33"×5.5" concrete blocks. Blocks use 2.5 80 pound bags of concrete each, plus steel tubing for a lift point, and some rebar. They weigh a little over 200 lbs each. I need to make a few more. I can take more pictures of the box and/or blocks if it'll help.
Yep - finding it more and more of an issue I don't have welding as a skillset yet. But I need ballast before I need another hobby ;).
Not welding is a big drawback to fabbing your own. You could get a cheap trailer mover for the three point then box it in with wooden forms
and fill with concrete but you’ll probably be close to just buying a ballast box by that point.
Good way to kill two birds with one stone.
Yep - finding it more and more of an issue I don't have welding as a skillset yet. But I need ballast before I need another hobby
If you're looking at ballast boxes. The john deere ones have jumped in price in the last month. I ordered and set one aside for me at christmas incase of increase. And since then it's gone up $60usd. Probably up more in the spring
Reactions: driveshaft
I welded together a heavy hitch. If I didn't have the ability I would have bought one. Allot of weight in a small footprint. I had a ballast box filled with concrete. It worked but it would get in the way when in tight areas. The HH is worth the money.

Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Tractor

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Asphalt
Maybe see if your local school has a welding shops class that would weld your pieces together?
Yep - finding it more and more of an issue I don't have welding as a skillset yet. But I need ballast before I need another hobby ;).
What if you did a ballast box filled with concrete and fill tires or wheel weights. Not the hanging off weight of your 3 point ballast but filled tires and/or wheel weights give stability and some ballast and would be the compact size you looking for.
Has anyone used old weight plates from gym? I have a quick hitch and thinking of using something like that. Shipping for weights is outrageous.
Weight is weight when it comes to ballast. If you have gym weights, use them.
Already have filled tires and probably add wheel weights too.
What if you did a ballast box filled with concrete and fill tires or wheel weights. Not the hanging off weight of your 3 point ballast but filled tires and/or wheel weights give stability and some ballast and would be the compact size you looking for.
Spacers and weight on the tires really helps side to side stability.
Already have filled tires and probably add wheel weights too.
I got lucky and found a 1000# lead block that was front ballast off a really old tractor. I set it in my Chinese BB and then put sand around the edges to keep it from shifting.

Since it only fills about half the BB, it makes a great spot to carry “stuff”…..but still weighs over 1300#. Add in filled rear tires and I’ve never felt the rear end even wiggle when lifting at the max my machine can handle.

I also like having a receiver hitch and fork pockets on my BB. The JD box had neither.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Plant Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Green Grass Gas Soil Groundcover
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
My vote would be for the ballast box since you mentioned not being able to make your own. I do like the idea of asking a local vocational school, often times they are looking for different ideas and welcome the opportunity.
The HH brackets are nice and compact, but you’ll need 70# weights to get real weight, and with that you’ll easily pass $1K in price. If you’re okay with the weight you are currently using then a concrete filled ballast box is your most economical option.
What I need to do is see if I can snag some lead ballast they put on the submarines during transits without weapons.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts