Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to re-hash this but I am still not totally clear on how much I need (I know, JD recommends about a kagillion). My understanding is that the loader assembly weighs 605 lbs. My tires are not loaded but I have a JD ballast box filled with portland cement. I also have an I-Match. The combined wight is ? I do not do significant loader work (a little top soil or gravel from time to time) but I have read that if not properly balanced, it can be hard on the 4 wheel mechanism.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Ron,

I use this spreadsheet as a guide. In fact, almost all my loader work is either horse manure or wood mulch for my bride's flower beds and I leave the HeavyHitch on. I figure I have just over 400 lbs back there with that set up...HeavyHitch (approx 30-35 lbs) + iMatch (65 lbs) + 8 suitcase weights at 42 lbs (336 lbs). Again, that works for me but everyone has different needs or requirements. When the occasion arises for us to move dirt, I do put on our BB (610 lbs). And as you said, that may not be enough. Which I understand and seldom fill or overfill my 53" bucket.

Doug

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Ron,
On my 3720 I did the same as you. All I had was a ballast box full of portland hanging off the I-match. I never picked up a full bucket load of material and drove around full speed or went for very long distances. I was/am always careful not to turn sharp in 4wd on hard surfaces with a loaded bucket. IMHO, your fine.

But I on 4520, I added two 110 pound weights to the rear wheels along with the portland ballast box. There are times that I wish I had more rear ballast when moving our heavy equipment around, but now I am using more as a fork lift than a tractor.

I would avoid fluid in the tires and go for some iron weights if you feel you need more. Always move around slow and with your bucket low and I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I can't seem to get the calculator to work on my Mac but surely I will figure that out.

I am very careful when using the tractor but was kind of spooked over potentially damaging the front end.

Thanks again.

..Ron

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Download Firefox. Safari has it's snobby moments and javascript doesn't work well. I use it for GreenTractorTalk on my MAC. You can also get plug ins that block all the profiling stuff, manage your java scripts and the like (if you like that kind of geeky stuff).

Try:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/download.html

It's always been a good "backup" browser for me, and it works on PC, MAC, Linux and Unix.

Oh yeah. When I get the loader for my 4520, I'll get a ballast box too. On my Kubota B21, since it's a TLB you get a "Free" rear end ballast.

Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts