Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a new 16' metal decked general purpose trailer. I will usually have bolted on sides panels for general purpose work. Occasionally I will transport the 1025R tractor and want some good tie downs. I was going to have the lower 4" board on the side panels be hinged so that I can lift it up to run the chain through to D Rings on the sides of the trailer. I didn't want the D rings on the floor of the trailer because they would sit above the floor somewhat (Even the so called flush mounts stick up a bit) and make stacking things in the trailer somewhat awkward. My son asked why I don't weld Banjo Eye Plates into the floor of the trailer like Rollback Trucks do for transporting vehicles. I would be using these with 5/16" Tie Down chains. It seems like a great solution but you don't ever see them mentioned. Do any of you have experience with Banjo Eye Tie Down Slots and if so can you tell me the disadvantages?

·
Administrator
17,272 Posts
If your doing a new build with a steel floor, they are a great idea! It would be difficult to retrofit or add into a trailer with a wood floor IMHO. I would suggest 1/4" thick ones at a minimum.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm building a new 16' metal decked general purpose trailer. I will usually have bolted on sides panels for general purpose work. Occasionally I will transport the 1025R tractor and want some good tie downs. I was going to have the lower 4" board on the side panels be hinged so that I can lift it up to run the chain through to D Rings on the sides of the trailer. I didn't want the D rings on the floor of the trailer because they would sit above the floor somewhat (Even the so called flush mounts stick up a bit) and make stacking things in the trailer somewhat awkward. My son asked why I don't weld Banjo Eye Plates into the floor of the trailer like Rollback Trucks do for transporting vehicles. I would be using these with 5/16" Tie Down chains. It seems like a great solution but you don't ever see them mentioned. Do any of you have experience with Banjo Eye Tie Down Slots and if so can you tell me the disadvantages?
No real disadvantage. Its nice having them available. I use a combination of both, and transport a 3 series with implements.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I had one of these in each corner of my dump trailer,,

they worked so well there, I added them to my loader bucket.

I vote D-ring,,, :good2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just watched a couple videos where someone dropped chain into Banjo Eyes and then tightened against them. DANG that was slick! I think they will be perfect in the bed where I don't want any obstacles in the way of freight laying flat. I'll also add a few D rings on the outside of the frame for use when the sides are off.

Kennyd, thanks for the tip about thickness. I value your opinion about suitability. Most of the Banjo Eyes I find are 5/16" thick and should be very strong once welded to the frame and floor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts