Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering replacing my PTO shaft shields (the plastic parts that shield the shaft) with Bare-Co AS20090. Their system seems easier to maintain and the ability to pull the cone back during hookup is a definite plus. The existing (OEM) shields are difficult to service and I can't seem to find replacement parts. The existing shields are as pictured on PTOShafts.com (model M1), but the recently damaged cone and bearing (darn spring pin on the yoke worked itself out a bit and chewed both up) can't be purchased separately.

If you have Bare-Co shaft shields
  • what do you think of them?
  • Sloan Express lists a complete assembly for sale on their website, but not the replacement bearing sets (P/N AS274) or the Extension Bellows (P/N AS2E). Are you aware of any on-line store that sells the Bare-Co parts in the US?

·
Registered
1 Posts
By all means get it. The ability to pull the guard back to get to the PTO connection really makes life so much easier. Besides that, this was cheaper than replacing my OEM guard.

·
Registered
43 Posts
LeoC4, I've been looking at those for a while now, seems pretty slick. My current PTO cover for my Woods finish mower is damage from hitting the darn HF Quick Hitch. So I'm not using the Quick Hitch when using the finish mower. Anyways, I was going to order the same number you have listed, the PTO shaft is fairly short and with all the adaptors they give you I would think I'd be covered. But I decided to call Soan Company anyway and the parts guy said he needed to know what series PTO shaft I needed. He told me I needed to measure the U-Joint width (Cap to Cap) and the Cap Diameter, then he could tell me what Bare co PTO Shaft cover I needed.

So how did you figure out your Part Number? Seems simple to me, with all the adaptors they give you, but now the parts guy has me confused. Please let me know if you have any insight on this.

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...how did you figure out your Part Number?...
I took my best guess at what was needed for my 3 PTO shafts; I must have gotten lucky. The bearings (white plastic items) required some trimming in order to fit my PTOs properly.

As Bare-Co states, the AS20130 (yoke bearing groove dia 1 5/16" to 2 1/8") and AS30130 (yoke bearing groove dia 2" to 3 1/8") cover 90% of applications.

Reactions: snowdoggie

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
LeoC4, I've been looking at those for a while now, seems pretty slick. My current PTO cover for my Woods finish mower is damage from hitting the darn HF Quick Hitch. So I'm not using the Quick Hitch when using the finish mower. Anyways, I was going to order the same number you have listed, the PTO shaft is fairly short and with all the adaptors they give you I would think I'd be covered. But I decided to call Soan Company anyway and the parts guy said he needed to know what series PTO shaft I needed. He told me I needed to measure the U-Joint width (Cap to Cap) and the Cap Diameter, then he could tell me what Bare co PTO Shaft cover I needed.

So how did you figure out your Part Number? Seems simple to me, with all the adaptors they give you, but now the parts guy has me confused. Please let me know if you have any insight on this.

Thanks, Scott
This is what he was talking about. PTO Basics | Agri Supply Blog | Agri Supply

Dave

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks LeoC4 and ddinham, I just had the darn thing a part for other reasons. I just measured the the Groove diameter. A tad under 2 1/8", see pic. That PTO cover is a PITA to remove. Anyways, I'll pull it down again and I'll measure the U joint and order, after I cut the grass.
PTO Measurement ll.jpg

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I purchased the smaller (AS20130 kit) for my Cat 1 implements. The groove diameters on my PTOs run from 1.8 inch to 2.06 inch (check both ends of your PTOs as they are different sizes). As previously stated, I had to trim (using an oscillating drum sander) the bearings to achieve the correct fit.

The larger (AS30130 kit) would probably be needed for Cat 2 implements; the U-joint width will determine. Unfortunately, most of the bearings will probably be too large.

·
Registered
43 Posts
LeoC4, thanks for you useful information and tips. I'm pretty sure I'll need the same kit as you, but I'll still take a few more measurement and order one. After I cut the darn grass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts