Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
30d here now. Sun's up strongly though, burning off the frost. Should go to 55d by noon

It's always been "the barn" to me, but it's a 1 1/2 car garage out in the back

I noticed a couple times over the winter that the door was looking creaky, needed paint etc. So yesterday I went to scraping the caulk out, and sure enough, one door panel is shot. Wood frame, with center panel made of masonite,
Rectangle Wood Fixture Material property Paint
Went over to the store where I purchased the door to see if I could just get a panel (did NOT complain about the longevity of their merchandise, it's 30yrs old)

Nope! No one stocks contractor grade wood doors here now. They are all steel or custom. Inexpensive steel doors (9' wide) starts at about $400.

So I came home, took some measurements, grabbed some wood, and thought I'd try to build one panel.

Might be a silly decision. Although the other 3 panels seemed in better shape, I guess water has likely been under the caulk + paint in other areas too. Masonite doesn't resist water very well.

On the other hand, for $50 and a few hours time I might get another couple years out of it. In the back of my mind, I think I was looking for a "project". So I put away the thought of just replacing the door.

As I started, other worry's popped up: I have no idea what the weight of the door / panels are. If I made this panel too heavy or too light - the springs will no longer work, might be over stressed. And the panels have a fancy, interlocking cut against the above & below panels.

But now I'm already "invested" Yikes.

Half the new panel, used baltic birch instead of masonite:
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Floor Flooring

Got it mostly done now. Will try to prime it today.

Saturday, when I have extra hands available, will try to take the trashed panel down, match up the inter panel cuts, and toss the new panel up.

-OR- might be running over for the new steel door....

The "battle" continues, I'll let you know how it comes out.....

·
Registered
824 Posts
What type springs are they? If they are the coil type on a rod above the door you can add some tension to them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there. No, they are the less expensive stretching type, attached at the far end of the roller rails

1 - 3 of 3 Posts