Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you folks enjoy following along with projects being completed so I thought I would start a thread of a project I have going on. I'm not good at starting threads and I'm not really sure on how to begin this so guess I'll just dive in and see how it goes. This property was a foreclosure that I purchased in July and after a few months of trying to get things rolling and dealing with contractors for some of the work that's more than I can do alone, finally things are starting to happen. Being foreclosed I have not spoke with any previous owners so my knowledge about the property is from neighbors and so forth. From the stories I have received, this barn was built originally having a 1 bedroom apartment/studio type setup above an open shop space. This appears to be correct information from looking inside the service panel, circuits are labeled for various pieces of equipment that I assume was in the shop at one time. At some point another building was constructed on the property apparently to become the shop space and the main level was finished out to be living space. I believe the original owners very much so cared for the property however over the years and with the transfer of ownership, the entire property was rather rough when I purchased it. The land was extremely overgrown which gave the 3520 and bushhog a nice workout in getting the overgrowth of weeds and saplings cuts down. Other than the barn/home all other structures on the property have been or are in the process of being torn down due to various reasonings. Here are a few pictures of the property prior to any construction work being done on the exterior.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some photos of the interior prior to starting any work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
:munch::munch::munch: looks like a great project to follow:munch::munch::munch::munch::munch:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Being as I have been at the mercy of contractors since purchasing I have basically just been playing around waiting. I started with replacing the windows as they was in horrible shape then I started removing tile and gutting the master bathroom. The ceramic tile was easy enough to remove, the slate that was put down in the area around the exterior doors was a pain. I spent a lot of time with a 2lb sledge and chisel beating and banging that stuff only to have it come up in small flakes at a time. I pressure washed the exterior to determine if it was salvageable and in general cleaned up around the property with the tractor doing the majority of the labor. I am having contractors build a lean too on each side of the barn. One lean too will become a garage while the other will become a covered deck for the main level. They are also building a covered deck across the back for the upstairs. After a long wait they have finally started on the exterior work and that has given me a new motivation to continue with the interior. There is only so much playing around you can do before you lose interest in a project so I'm looking forward to updating this thread as it progresses. The garage side is underway and hopefully things will happen quickly. Here are some pics of the footers, slab, and framing that has begun. There is also a pic of a barn that I gave to the contractors to go by. The finished product will not look identical to the photo however it's general ideal. This is a barn and by golly I want it to look like one when finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pastures had grown to heights taller than the cab of the tractor. Several trees had fallen over the years and the fences was, well let's just say the fences was present but that's about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
:munch::munch::munch: looks like a great project to follow:munch::munch::munch::munch::munch:
I hope for a great project to follow and do. It's gotten off to a rough start. Amazes me at how many contractors I spoke with who tried to talk me into doing less work. Seems like everyone I spoke with wanted work they could be in/out of in a couple days making quick money. Finding someone to commit to the entire exterior was hard. Finally settled letting someone with the manpower do all of the exterior work with exception of the downstairs deck. I am on my own for the main level deck and all interior work but that's fine. I have never hired for much interior work to be done anyways. I'm just worried that winter is rapidly approaching and they are just now starting. We had 3 months of border line drought but they never showed up. Now they are ready to work and there has been more rain in the past 2 weeks than we've had all summer long.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some additional photos of the property the day after the auction and contracts was signed. My second visit to the property and I was really asking myself "why did I want this?" Closed on the property in July and started picking up the mess and hauling it away.

Attachments

·
Registered
837 Posts
Shawn, now I know why we haven't heard from you in a while. Good luck on your project and I'll be following along.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shawn, now I know why we haven't heard from you in a while. Good luck on your project and I'll be following along.

I have definitely had my hands full and some luck is much appreciated

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
:munch:looks like u got some good firewood to clean up too. i'll be watching along too.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:munch:looks like u got some good firewood to clean up too. i'll be watching along too.:bigthumb:
I've got more firewood than I'll ever need or even want. It would rot before I ever burned through it. I have pulled logs to a corner of the property to be out of the way and I've piled everything else as high as the loader on tractor can pile it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Looks like western red cedar vertical siding on the barn/house. Im not a fan of the way it looks when weathered and i would hate staining every few years but it lasts a long long time. Lots of homes on cape cod use have this with no stain and it greys out but withstands the harsh atlantic weather. It appears the original builder did a nice job.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for sharing. Looks like western red cedar vertical siding on the barn/house. Im not a fan of the way it looks when weathered and i would hate staining every few years but it lasts a long long time. Lots of homes on cape cod use have this with no stain and it greys out but withstands the harsh atlantic weather. It appears the original builder did a nice job.
Couldn't tell you what the siding is, I think cedar but each contractor I talked to about the work had a different opinion from the other. Some said cedar others say cypress. All siding is being removed and replaced on the rear and front, I told them to match it to what is on the side so I'm very curious as to what they decide the siding is.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here’s where I’m at currently with the interior. Call it lazy or maybe it’s creative genius (genius is b.s, I didn’t want to fool with tile/grout) using various colors of prestained lumber from Lowes for a backsplash in kitchen. I have the appliances in, plumbing/sink/dishwasher/ice maker squared away, and counter tops installed. Still waiting for the bar top to be finished. Changed the cabinet pulls and waiting for the vent hood to be delivered. I have most of the flooring laid down stairs and a good portion the painting done on the main level. I’m done with painting, it’s time consuming and really it just over all sucks. Hired painters who are coming in next week to finish all of the painting for the interior.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,108 Posts
Looks like you have a really good start , inside is looking great, very nice job.:bigthumb::bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 342 Posts