Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently moved into our new home and I am slowly starting to do more work in the barn now that most of the projects in the house are completed. Looking for ideas and thoughts on how to finish out the interior of a barn. I do not plan on heating the majority of the barn, there is however a 20 by 20 room in the back of the barn that is already finished and insulated. I am primarily in need of a storage system to get the majority of landscaping items up off the floor (chainsaws, edgers, rakes, shovels, ect.). Barn 1.jpg

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,204 Posts
Make some shelves or buy some heavy duty ones for the heavy equipment. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
A section of pallet rack is perfect,, these were Lowes tale-outs,

I have had 5,000 pounds per shelf on these racks. The rack in the pic is four feet deep.

I gave my SIL two of these,,
other than his appliances, and furniture,,
these racks are big enough to hold everything he owns.

Scrap yards, and CraigsList are the source.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I see you have pallet forks. the pallet racks from industrial surplus place is fairly cheap and hold a lot of weight. My wife is setting here and saw these orginazied people and I heard about it. I eedeed to get straightened around here

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just recently moved into our new home and I am slowly starting to do more work in the barn now that most of the projects in the house are completed. Looking for ideas and thoughts on how to finish out the interior of a barn. I do not plan on heating the majority of the barn, there is however a 20 by 20 room in the back of the barn that is already finished and insulated. I am primarily in need of a storage system to get the majority of landscaping items up off the floor (chainsaws, edgers, rakes, shovels, ect.). View attachment 446586
If you go the rack and shelf route, take care that the rugrat isn't able to pull something over.

And if you go with dollies to be able to roll stuff around, a dolly on a flat smooth floor can be started rolling by even a small child. I had a visiting still-diapered boy get my 500 pound ballast box rolling. Luckily when it hit the wall he wasn't in position to be the middle of the sandwich.

It's impossible to child-proof a barn, but do the best you can. I find the children of city visitors to be the ones most a risk.:danger:

I used wall racks, mounted to the wall, to get my stuff up high. They are pretty inexpensive and easy to install. Check out the grid walls on the ULINE web site.

https://www.uline.com/Cls_34/Store-Operations?pricode=WZ808&AdKeyword=+display +racks&AdMatchtype=b&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiPjm06qT1gIVBAppCh2yYgsBEAAYAiAAEgIvKfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Organization is key, my barn is 40x40 with a 10 leant to and when I tell people the size they are always surprised. Lots and lots of shelving, if I use something once a year and it's not heavy it goes up high. All my tractor implements are on custom wood carts with 5" greasable casters.
I might just be stealing this idea. I love the rolling carts on the floor to retrieve items under the shelving. Also really like the under shelf storage for the saws. Great work!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see you have pallet forks. the pallet racks from industrial surplus place is fairly cheap and hold a lot of weight. My wife is setting here and saw these orginazied people and I heard about it. I eedeed to get straightened around here
Yes sir on the pallet forks. I have a set for each tractor and it is the best money spent and most used implement I have. Keep almost everything on pallets to make it easier to move.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Yes sir on the pallet forks. I have a set for each tractor and it is the best money spent and most used implement I have. Keep almost everything on pallets to make it easier to move.
I know what you mean. I have had my 1025R 13 months and have never used the bucket, its still new and shinny.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
We'll see if we can get this thread going again with more storage ideas. I too like storing things on pallets, stacking/lifting it high for a much small footprint in the shop.

This has worked well for me as I needed the scaffolding anyhow.

Implement Tower.JPG

Behind the scaffolding is my wood storage . . . Horizontally for those long sticks across the window spot and vertically under it for plywood sheets and other 'shorts'.

I can attach the 647 tiller directly to the tractor. I use Artillian pallet forks to lower the box blade on a custom pallet and then to the rear of the Deere. I love the forks, great product from Artillian.

Marlin :cowboy:

·
Registered
18 Posts
We'll see if we can get this thread going again with more storage ideas. I too like storing things on pallets, stacking/lifting it high for a much small footprint in the shop.

This has worked well for me as I needed the scaffolding anyhow.

View attachment 456146

Behind the scaffolding is my wood storage . . . Horizontally for those long sticks across the window spot and vertically under it for plywood sheets and other 'shorts'.

I can attach the 647 tiller directly to the tractor. I use Artillian pallet forks to lower the box blade on a custom pallet and then to the rear of the Deere. I love the forks, great product from Artillian.

Marlin :cowboy:
Great Idea dual purposing the scaffolding. I see that you have a bent tooth on your box blade. I have one of those also.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Great Idea dual purposing the scaffolding. I see that you have a bent tooth on your box blade. I have one of those also.
I fixed it. It's straight now. I laid it on a steel plate and beat it with a sledgehammer. It did the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Organization is key, my barn is 40x40 with a 10 leant to and when I tell people the size they are always surprised. Lots and lots of shelving, if I use something once a year and it's not heavy it goes up high. All my tractor implements are on custom wood carts with 5" greasable casters.
Couple questions about your build:
How deep is the shelf and what is the thickness of the plywood top?
How far apart are your shelf supports and what is the span from your end post?
Is the end post attached to the floor in any way?

Thanks
Sam

·
Registered
202 Posts
A couple of things

I'm getting ready to build so I'll be following this one as well. Storage is always at a premium.

Greenva - quick thread highjack: I'm near you in Catharpin, VA, just north of Gainesville. We should get together sometime so you can do a lot of work for me with all that equipment you have. Just out of curiosity, and I know this is none of my business so you can ignore me if you want, but why have all that equipment? I would think that the larger tractor could do all the same things the smaller one can do, and that one ZTR would be enough. More gear = more maintenance=less time for everything else.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Great thread, I'd like to hear more ideas!

Even with a 60' x 60' barn with a huge loft, I've also struggled to get things organized. Some of these ideas have already been mentioned but here are few key points that have worked well for me and saved quite a bit of money.

1) Craigslist: I purchased several nice shelving units and some were industrial units with 3/4" marine grade plywood shelves. Likewise, I found industrial tech benches (with heavy laminate tops and drawers), work tables, metal storage cabinets, a heavy duty cart and old office lateral filing cabinets. All of these were dirt cheap.

I found an old Home Depot ladder on wheels for $75 that makes getting up to the ceiling of the barn a piece of cake. When buying a like-new commercial assembly table with a heavy laminate top for $100, a Craigslist seller gave me a huge wooden workbench he was going to haul to the dump. I had to perform some structural repairs but it would have taken me a long time and several hundred dollars in materials to duplicate this workbench. The only new organization related items I've purchased are my large tool chest and two rolling tool carts.

2) I put all of my implements on dollies with metal casters. I found a business giving away several extreme duty 72" x 54" pallets (also with 3/4" marine grade plywood). I custom made dollies for implements that didn't neatly fit on these pallets. Implement dollies allow you to quickly align them for easy attachment to the tractor or stacking with your pallet forks. Home Depot sells excellent metal castors that swivel for less than $6 each.

I frequently rearrange areas of my barn to accommodate a new project or a specific "workflow" of tasks I want to perform. Therefore, I've tried to put as many things as possible on castors. That includes many of my woodworking machines (table saw, radial arm saw, etc.). and two "assembly" benches. Having as much as possible on wheels also helps to consolidate items for long-term winter storage.

Attachments

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Have way too many projects going on at one time so I had a friend come over and do several projects in my building. So far I have had a new electrical panel installed and several circuits ran throughout the building. Also had motion detector spotlights put on every corner of the building. He is finishing up the framing and insulation of the walls now. Once that is done I have 7 sections of H frame coming in to line the two side walls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/4-tier-rack-shelf-rack-shelving/prod16820534.ip?xid=plp_product_1_18

I have a lot of this type of shelf, not necessarily this brand but of this type. It assembles super easy and you can link them together to make a long run. They hold a lot of weight as well.

I used to move a lot (military) so I needed shelves that break down pretty easy but also hold a lot of weight since I have a lot of stuff. I have also used a lot of the little wooden dolly/piano style dolly carts that Harbor Freight sells for my implements when I was able to keep them inside at my last place. My shop is almost done (need electrical) and I can put everything under cover again.

This is a good thread with good ideas, thanks for sharing!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts