Green Tractor Talk banner

Barn prices

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Minuteman17 
#1 ·
I'm looking into building a workshop barn 48'w x 60'L x 12' or 15' H, potentially depending on cost. My goal is to house my farm equipment and to store hay on the sides of it. I would like it to have a concrete pad and for it be be insulated in addition to having lean-to's on the sides. I would also need it to be graded, water, electrical.

Ive reached out to Morton building, a locate barn builder and general steel for builders.

Few questions / recommendations, Should I reach out to anyone else? and what is a ball park of a good price?

Iv'e reviewed pricing back from Morton and i'm not sure of their pricing.
I'm in the state of Georgia.

#2 ·
I just purchased a 30x50x12 w/50 lean-to from Reed’s Metal in Mississippi. They are the most polite & friendliest business I have ever dealt with. They just delivered materials today. Here is a link to their locations: https://reedsmetals.com/location

When the rain stops long enough, they will start building.

Reactions: Robnik
#3 ·
I still haven't pulled the trigger on my barn, but I can tell you that after talking to other folks up here (Michigan), I didn't even bother contacting Morton. Their quotes were sky high! I've had four other quotes and price per foot has been all over the board for the same size building and same options 30x40. All I can say is shop around.

Any Amish in your neck of the woods?

#4 ·
Goodwork beat me to it, but hold on to your hat when you see the quote for the Morton. They have good stuff, but they really know it. :gizmo:

Have a look around your area at various buildings, and see if you can see the names on them. That is how I ended up with a Cleary building being built. Probably not the best in the world, but on par with everyone. When it comes right down to it, pole barns are built with similar parts. The posts can be different, but you still have the same basic structure.

My quote from Morton was twice as much as everyone else I had gotten a quote from. To top it off, that was just materials, not them building it.

You may find someone that does it all, but you may also want to consider having someone do your excavating, someone else electrical, water etc.

#5 ·
When you refer to a workshop barn, are you talking about a place to keep horses, with an included workshop area? Or are you talking about a big workshop disguised to look like a barn?

I had a center aisle barn the same size you want built about 2 years ago for 4 horses, plus workshop, plus hay and feed storage, plus tackroom with bathroom, plus wash stall. Hot and cold water, 100A electric service with 220V for 2 heat pumps/AC units, electric water heater, and MIG welder power, and paved storage for tractor and implements.

Custom built by a great crew who build one barn at a time, so no down time while jobs being juggled. Done in 2 months. The whole package included site prep, electric service, tie in to well for water, barn's own septic tank and field, concrete work.... basically a turn key package for a flat price, with no surprise add-ons.

All for about the same as some prefabs, and done by a local builder with an excellent reputation. Here's his web site, if you're on the east side of Georgia, check him out.

https://yoderbuilderssc.com/Home.php

#6 ·
The builder I'm in talks with now isn't in GA, so I'm no help there.

I did start with Morton, but it was like dealing with a snooty car salesmen. He provided a heavily inflated quote and my wife and I inquired about some changes to his quote and we never heard back from him. His loss...

A few things though that I think one should take into consideration.

• What type of footings do they provide?
  • How much of the work is "in house"; ie subs
  • What is included with the build? ie: Electric/Water/etc.
  • Warranty?

There may be other things, but I can't think of them now.

My 40x60 was onsite already when we bought our house. It is insulated in the fact there is foam board up. While it does help, framing and insulating properly would keep in warmer. It has lean to's on both sides for critters to get out of the weather. If it was just a shop(which it will be someday) I think 40x60 would be fine for me. I believe my walls are 15', not sure 12' would work for me.

#8 ·
I'm looking into building a workshop barn 48'w x 60'L x 12' or 15' H, potentially depending on cost. My goal is to house my farm equipment and to store hay on the sides of it. I would like it to have a concrete pad and for it be be insulated in addition to having lean-to's on the sides. I would also need it to be graded, water, electrical.

Ive reached out to Morton building, a locate barn builder and general steel for builders.

Few questions / recommendations, Should I reach out to anyone else? and what is a ball park of a good price?

Iv'e reviewed pricing back from Morton and i'm not sure of their pricing.
I'm in the state of Georgia.
Just a tip here if you ever think you might want to store hay INSIDE, go up to about 17' so stacker wagons can get in and drop stacks. Don't ask me how I know...my barn is 14' high:hide2:

#10 · (Edited)
Steel building

40x50 with 14' ceiling and two 9w x 12' high doors and one 9w x 10 high door and one 18w x 10 high door. 9" insulation in ceiling, 6" insulation in walls, 4' overhang on one 50' side above the 9x10 and 18x10 doors. 110 mph wind resistant insulated roll up doors, 6 insulated skylights, one walk thru door. 5" extra reinforced concrete foundation, one 3' x 6' insulated double pane window. Large concrete pads outside every door. LED lighting, plenty of 110 and 220 single phase power outlets. No water inside. I dug the ditch from main power to the building.

Including survey ($1200), foundation engineering ($450), concrete inside and out ($40,000), electric labor ($1200), permits ($1000), erection labor ($12,500), and the building itself (delivered, inc tax $26,000), plus some stuff I can't think of now, total was $83,000+

Worth every penny, but not cheap. Buy a steel building and you find that doors and windows are extra. I bought the building spec'd the way I wanted it and hired all the other experts: foundation, erection, etc. Separately. I also chose roof and walls that reflect UV for less heat inside in summer. Colors makes a difference. Choose wisely.

I bought and installed air lines and compressor, 10,000 lb two post lift, pallet racks, work bench, tool storage cabinets, frig, MDF walls up to 8' high all around, painted white for more light, etc. YMMV

Have fun. Do more research than you think necessary. You'll be happier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.