Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My barn has been a on-going project since 2009. With work and other interest, it's been slowly evolving. It started life as a RV cover, which was originally set up behind my shop. We wanted to add a kitchen & bath room to the shop, so we moved the RV cover to the back yard. I then lifted it 18 more inches to increased the overall height to 15.5', and added a lean-to on both sides.

Fast forward to this year. I closed in one section of the left side lean-to, to make a storage room for my lawn, garden and maintainance related stuff.
Yesterday, I gathered material from the local lumber yard and began working on them. The framing is 2x4's(none dimensional measurements, of course) :mocking: utilizing half-lap cuts at the corners and mid-way; fitted, squared and screwed. Exterior material is primed engineered 4'x8', and interior is 7/16" OSB sheathing. I managed to hang one door to the storage room this morning.

Half-Lap cut.
DSC_0833_edited_large.jpg

Engineered siding.
073291301958.jpg

One door hung. The door opening is 6' wide by 8' high.
IMG_2318.JPG

IMG_2319.JPG

Once the other door is hung and trim is on, it will look like the ones below. I built and hung these last year on the right side lean-to. The opening is 8' by 8'.
The center opening of the barn is 12' by 12', and will get similar doors.
IMG_2320.JPG

Interior pics of storage room.
IMG_2322.JPG

IMG_2321.JPG

IMG_2323.JPG
The room is just under 11'x12' and I'm sure it will get full as time goes on.
My son is giving me two more shelving units, and I am needing to add a rack for hanging shovels, racks, hoes, etc..

To be continued.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
:bigthumb: nice---:munch:

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:thumbup1gif:
Niiiice flyweight and I even looked for faults, I'll keep looking. :lol:
I'm sure there are faults. I'm a freshman slacker. :hide:

·
Corndog Hater
11,272 Posts
That looks great FW. Thanks for sharing the pics with us

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This morning, I'm working on the last door for the storage room.

Cutting the Half-Lap using a Dado blade setup.
IMG_2363.JPG

Half-lap for upper & lower rail.
IMG_2368.JPG

Half-lap for mid rail.
IMG_2366.JPG

Glued, squared and screwed.
IMG_2373.JPG

Ready for interior & exterior panels.
IMG_2371.JPG

I only use 2 screws for securing each joint. The panels will also be glued and screwed to the frame. This will be plenty support, to keep the doors squared.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Other than installing a lockable latch, the doors for the storage room on the left lean-to are finished.

IMG_2511.JPG

I'm going to wait until the temps cool down some to build the center doors. Maybe this Fall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts