Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting the Backhoe Thumb for my JD 260.
Can anyone give me their thoughts on this and does it work well?

I have already bought the BackHoe Dolly and the Piranha Toothbar from BXpanded and am very pleased with the quality of their stuff.

Thanks!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I can't give my opinions on it as I don't have one yet. But I will be ordering one very soon:munch:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply

I can't give my opinions on it as I don't have one yet. But I will be ordering one very soon:munch:
Thanks Joshn3448 for the reply.

Just gone ahead and ordered one, I figured they have done so a good job with the toothbar and dolly it should be good,

·
Registered
470 Posts
Let me know what you think of it! I just got the toothbar delivered and although I haven't had a chance to install it yet, it looks like its well built.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have used the thumb quite often when digging out stumps. It was an easy install, works great and does not get in the way when tucked back up. I have some work to do on a stone wall that I am hoping to use it for also.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have used the thumb quite often when digging out stumps. It was an easy install, works great and does not get in the way when tucked back up. I have some work to do on a stone wall that I am hoping to use it for also.
Thanks for the info, I had read somewhere that the teeth on the thumb could also be used for ripping, thinking it had to be reversed somehow,....any thoughts??

David

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Sure wish you guy's would make one of these for the JD46 BH. Any plans soon for one, or at all?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thumb

260 BH thumb works good. Construction is high quality. Only negative is with the 260 hoe lift capability, not the thumb. Love the design and quality. Would not hesitate to buy from this company. (Have their piranha bar also)

·
Registered
967 Posts
The quality went in before the name went on.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the thumb and the ripper tooth (and boy they look mean together!) I haven't used the thumb as much as I thought just because it's hard to set up just the right angle, so I end up using the Artillian forks instead for things like placing rocks. But the ripper tooth is insanely good for cleaning up the bad spots in a trench after a Ditch Witch, and tears out stumps like nobody's business. Both are well built and do what they say, but for me the tooth has been much more useful, though it's a hassle to get the bucket on and off to use it.
Oh, and the backhoe dolly is just excellent and so worth it!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the thumb and the ripper tooth (and boy they look mean together!) I haven't used the thumb as much as I thought just because it's hard to set up just the right angle, so I end up using the Artillian forks instead for things like placing rocks. But the ripper tooth is insanely good for cleaning up the bad spots in a trench after a Ditch Witch, and tears out stumps like nobody's business. Both are well built and do what they say, but for me the tooth has been much more useful, though it's a hassle to get the bucket on and off to use it.
I have the bar, thumb, and ripper from bxpanded. The only item i would buy again is the bar. The mechanical thumb just doesn't work well for me (might be a skill issue). I think that if i used it a lot i might get better with it, i am used to a hydraulic thumb and I'm really having a hard time getting the hang of this thing. Lots of up and down from the hoe to adjust, and never getting it quite right. The pin to install it was slightly oversized or something and it was a total PITA to install. In fact the experience of putting the thumb on has lead me to not even attempt to install the ripper yet. I'd get their quick connect kit but I'm afraid i'm throwing good money after bad. My current feeling is that I will uninstall the thumb to get it out of the way and maybe then i will try the ripper install.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have the bar, thumb, and ripper from bxpanded. The only item i would buy again is the bar. The mechanical thumb just doesn't work well for me (might be a skill issue). I think that if i used it a lot i might get better with it, i am used to a hydraulic thumb and I'm really having a hard time getting the hang of this thing. Lots of up and down from the hoe to adjust, and never getting it quite right. The pin to install it was slightly oversized or something and it was a total PITA to install. In fact the experience of putting the thumb on has lead me to not even attempt to install the ripper yet. I'd get their quick connect kit but I'm afraid i'm throwing good money after bad. My current feeling is that I will uninstall the thumb to get it out of the way and maybe then i will try the ripper install.
Dude get that ripper installed and in use! Especially if you have stumps to pull. I removed my bucket to install the ripper 3 months ago and haven’t put the bucket back on. Don’t need it. The install will take about 5 mins, after you find the right size wrench.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
They make a backhoe QD just for swapping buckets and the ripper out quickly... just not for my 46 BH...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dude get that ripper installed and in use! Especially if you have stumps to pull. I removed my bucket to install the ripper 3 months ago and haven’t put the bucket back on. Don’t need it. The install will take about 5 mins, after you find the right size wrench.
I installed the ripper last weekend and used it to transplant a few trees and create a root barrier for a raised bed. That thing rocks. It was super easy to install when compared to the thumb - which I removed at the same time. They named it right, it rips through roots like they aren't even there. I will be using it a lot.

Speaking of the thumb, it is for sale. I posted it in the For Sale section if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thinking of getting the Backhoe Thumb for my JD 260.
Can anyone give me their thoughts on this and does it work well?

I have already bought the BackHoe Dolly and the Piranha Toothbar from BXpanded and am very pleased with the quality of their stuff.

Thanks!
I'm adding the tear drop locating point to my 260 and use the late model Thumb....here's a template...I'm going to use 3/8" steel....

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts