Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted a couple threads associated with this project. It has been a longer than average project for me. I had someone come in and finish the ductwork in Aug 2016. I then tore out the fiberglass insulation (compromised by condensation) and had closed cell foam sprayed in Nov 2016. I officially started framing in Jan 2017 and declared this project finished (minus furniture and decorating) last month. I thought I would post some photos of the final project. There may be too many, so I won't judge anyone who doesn't have the patience to download them all!

I just wanted to share-

Lee

IMG_3913.jpg
IMG_3914.jpg
IMG_2258 dp.jpg
IMG_2261 dp.jpg
IMG_3921.jpg
IMG_3923.jpg
IMG_3926.jpg
IMG_3925.jpg
IMG_3917.jpg
IMG_3920.jpg
IMG_3941.jpg
IMG_3950.jpg

·
Corndog Hater
11,686 Posts
That is beautiful ljnelson109. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics.

We need to do a bit of remodeling in our finished basement. We are going to remove the walls for the 4th bedroom as nobody stays with us, apparently we are not hospitable or welcoming?:dunno::laugh: I need that space for a home office and it will just open up the whole family room area with the walls removed. I will need at least one post/column once the walls are down. Could you tell me more about the post/column in your second pic? Thanks:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Great Space

Congrats on finishing that space. It looks great.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Very nice! You've made a great looking space.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice space! Who is the photographer?
My wife is the photog. Her real passion is nature photography, but she likes having the studio for taking pics of our kids and occasionally playing with still life. That room is set-up to be a bedroom if we ever need it, but for now it will be her studio with space to store all of her extra photography stuff in the closet. We still need to put a few finishing touches on that room, but she is happy to have the space.

Her website is: The Gaggle Photography @ The Gaggle Photography but it doesn't get anywhere near the updates as her Instagram https://www.instagram.com/gagglephotog/, Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/ljnelson109/ and Facebook pages https://www.facebook.com/TheGagglePhotography

The closet in that room is big (under the stairs) but will easily fill up with extra studio stuff....

IMG_3934.jpg
IMG_3935.jpg

And a closeup of her snaps display in the studio

IMG_3945.jpg
IMG_3908.jpg

And some studio samples so she can see the different finishes on the metal prints from one of her labs

IMG_3939.jpg

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is beautiful ljnelson109. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics.

We need to do a bit of remodeling in our finished basement. We are going to remove the walls for the 4th bedroom as nobody stays with us, apparently we are not hospitable or welcoming?:dunno::laugh: I need that space for a home office and it will just open up the whole family room area with the walls removed. I will need at least one post/column once the walls are down. Could you tell me more about the post/column in your second pic? Thanks:thumbup1gif:
I hate basement columns. I buried 9 of them in walls during this project. The wall locations and layout were adjusted, as needed, to hide what I could. For this one, I just couldn't find a way to hide it. I used a pole wrap product that they sell at Home Depot. I have seen it elsewhere, but if you find it in stock and can be happy with oak, it is far cheaper than any of the special order options. The oak solution for a 3.5" column at my local HD is only $45. I used these in my last house, too. For this one, we made up a custom stain to try to match it to the floor. I will get you a better picture if you want to see more detail.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/pole-wrap?NCNI-5

Lee

·
Corndog Hater
11,686 Posts
I hate basement columns. I buried 9 of them in walls during this project. The wall locations and layout were adjusted, as needed, to hide what I could. For this one, I just couldn't find a way to hide it. I used a pole wrap product that they sell at Home Depot. I have seen it elsewhere, but if you find it in stock and can be happy with oak, it is far cheaper than any of the special order options. The oak solution for a 3.5" column at my local HD is only $45. I used these in my last house, too. For this one, we made up a custom stain to try to match it to the floor. I will get you a better picture if you want to see more detail.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/pole-wrap?NCNI-5

Lee

Thanks! That's a great option. Yes we'd like no post either, but it's just not an option with us trying to just keep this project to a bit of drywall work and new flooring. I watched the video and those wraps give a nice finished look. :good2:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! That's a great option. Yes we'd like no post either, but it's just not an option with us trying to just keep this project to a bit of drywall work and new flooring. I watched the video and those wraps give a nice finished look. :good2:
They really do. The only critique I would offer is that it is a bit tricky to get the amount of liquid nails correct. I did two at the old house, one was not really round when it was done. It was sort of lumpy. The other, I put more adhesive behind it and it came out nice and round. This one is somewhere in between. It looks great, but if you wrap your hands around it, it is a bit uneven.

The other thing is, the wood is really an oak laminate on top of MDF strips. I am pretty sure when I used them in 2005 they were all wood. This one has MDF strips exposed on the edges of each strip. I was worried about how it would react with stain, but in the end, you really only see the face of the strip when you are looking towards the column. I tried to be consistent with how much stain I got into the gaps so that there weren't big light and dark areas. It turned out fine, my fears were unwarranted.

Lee

·
Corndog Hater
11,686 Posts
They really do. The only critique I would offer is that it is a bit tricky to get the amount of liquid nails correct. I did two at the old house, one was not really round when it was done. It was sort of lumpy. The other, I put more adhesive behind it and it came out nice and round. This one is somewhere in between. It looks great, but if you wrap your hands around it, it is a bit uneven.

The other thing is, the wood is really an oak laminate on top of MDF strips. I am pretty sure when I used them in 2005 they were all wood. This one has MDF strips exposed on the edges of each strip. I was worried about how it would react with stain, but in the end, you really only see the face of the strip when you are looking towards the column. I tried to be consistent with how much stain I got into the gaps so that there weren't big light and dark areas. It turned out fine, my fears were unwarranted.

Lee

Good to know. Honestly, the previous owner cut all the trim (cheap pine) but never installed it except for around the doors, that way if anybody ever questioned the finished basement, he could say it wasn't "finished" (honest he told me that:lol:) . I would like to go to all white trim, so the staining wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to know. Honestly, the previous owner cut all the trim (cheap pine) but never installed it except for around the doors, that way if anybody ever questioned the finished basement, he could say it wasn't "finished" (honest he told me that:lol:) . I would like to go to all white trim, so the staining wouldn't be an issue.
That makes sense. Just don't be tempted to buy the all MDF one online to save money. Check your store, the oak one (in stock) was much cheaper than the MDF one ordered online. Odd as it is, that is how they are pricing it. AND, Lowe's does not stock it, so the same oak version (for the 3.5" column) is much more expensive ordered from Lowe's. This is a classic example where you have to shop both stores to get the best price.

Lee

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
We need to do a bit of remodeling in our finished basement. We are going to remove the walls for the 4th bedroom as nobody stays with us, apparently we are not hospitable or welcoming?:dunno::laugh:
Hmmmm I wonder why :lolol::lolol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts