Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the thread, "Mother of all Crawl Spaces," I promised to upload current photos of my workshop (and communications room). Being trapped in surburbia with a basement shop sort of limits the options for looking really manly. Having air conditioning in Florida is a plus, but dust control is a challenge and the carpet is down right embarrassing! It's glued down, so I'm not messing with it until it gets very dirty.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/members/rodw-albums-workshop-communications-room.html
I didn't know how to specify the order of photos in an album, so my communications room may display before the workshop.

If you want to see manly tools, you'll have to check out my brother's stuff. Never could compete with him...
Services

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
WOW!! Nice layout and very nice toyls! :good2: I wish my shop was a neatly kept as yours....I never leave time for the "clean up and put away" part of my projects. You really put time and effort into setting it up that is for sure. Even the dust collection system piping is impressive!

I am confused by the communications room......It sure looks a lot neater but what is all that patch panel stuff going to??

And what is that tallish flat tool under the wall mount TV? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
9,077 Posts
Florida + Basement = Pool

At least the Florida I knew. If you dug 2' down you had a well.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW!! Nice layout and very nice toyls! :good2: I wish my shop was a neatly kept as yours....I never leave time for the "clean up and put away" part of my projects. You really put time and effort into setting it up that is for sure. Even the dust collection system piping is impressive!

I am confused by the communications room......It sure looks a lot neater but what is all that patch panel stuff going to??

And what is that tallish flat tool under the wall mount TV? :dunno:
There are three segments on the communications panel.

1. The incoming phone line (TELCO) connects to an RJ45 patch panel. This panel has the ports "woven" together so that when TELCO is connected, all ports have a dial tone. This is the "source" panel for voice connections.

2. House wiring is hooked to another RJ45 patch panel (much cheaper than a structured wiring cabinet!) Each port is activated by connecting a short patch cable from either the phone panel or the network router/switch.

3. TV service is split and sent to cables boxes in the family room and master bedroom. Behind each of those is a Channel Vision modulator that returns the current program signal from each box to a 6-way splitter on the panel, where it is available to every other room, complete with remote control (IR return) signals.

I'm trying to get that "tallish thing" out of my shop, but my wife insists that she plans to start using the treadmill any day now...

·
Registered
837 Posts
There are three segments on the communications panel.

1. The incoming phone line (TELCO) connects to an RJ45 patch panel. This panel has the ports "woven" together so that when TELCO is connected, all ports have a dial tone. This is the "source" panel for voice connections.

2. House wiring is hooked to another RJ45 patch panel (much cheaper than a structured wiring cabinet!) Each port is activated by connecting a short patch cable from either the phone panel or the network router/switch.

3. TV service is split and sent to cables boxes in the family room and master bedroom. Behind each of those is a Channel Vision modulator that returns the current program signal from each box to a 6-way splitter on the panel, where it is available to every other room, complete with remote control (IR return) signals.

I'm trying to get that "tallish thing" out of my shop, but my wife insists that she plans to start using the treadmill any day now...
I was going to ask what a communications room is!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was going to ask what a communications room is!
Well, it's technically a room, but really is just a space under the garage stairs. Of course, some genius ran all the communications wiring right behind the main electrical panel when the house was built...

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
I have a pigsty basement shop you can organize. :laugh:

Very nice work on cleaning up the telecomm/data room. :good2:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Very nice wood working shop. :bigthumb::bigthumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts