Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a 5ft Box blade for my 1025R this spring. My main use will be to level/ Fix my 230 yard long gravel driveway. Fixing pot holes and leveling it out. Will a 5ft box blade be okay for my 1025R JD? I also plan on bringing in some sand for my pond/ beach area and plan on using abox blade to spread that out also.

What can else could I use the box blade for? I was thinking of ripping up some of my backyard where the grass doesnt grow very well with the box blade and having some topsoil brought in and level it out and plant some new grass.

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am looking into buying a 5ft Box blade for my 1025R this spring. My main use will be to level/ Fix my 230 yard long gravel driveway. Fixing pot holes and leveling it out. Will a 5ft box blade be okay for my 1025R JD? I also plan on bringing in some sand for my pond/ beach area and plan on using abox blade to spread that out also.

What can else could I use the box blade for? I was thinking of ripping up some of my backyard where the grass doesnt grow very well with the box blade and having some topsoil brought in and level it out and plant some new grass.
I use a 65” box blade behind my 2038R. Besides dirt work, it is great for clearing snow. I think a 5” box blade might be too much for the 1025R. With wet snow, I sometimes pack so much into the 65” that the 2038R has trouble lifting it. Also, engaging too much dirt / gravel causes wheel spin. You can maybe handle a 5’ box blade, just need to be aware you probably aren’t going to move it if it is full of dirt or wet snow.

In my opinion, a hydraulic Top and Tilt kit for the 3 point is what makes a box blade very useful.

Brian at Fit Rite hydraulics probably makes a top and Tilt kit for your tractor. He is a vendor on this site.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The 2nd implement I bought for my 1025R was a Frontier 60 inch box blade. The first purchase, and most used thing I bought was pallet forks.

Like you, I wanted the box blade for maintaining a gravel driveway. In my case it is around 300 feet. I wanted the 60 inch so that it would extend beyond the 48 inch spacing or width of the tractor wheels. The 60 inch BB has served well for initial gravel drive leveling, but I have found it a strain on the 1025 for other jobs, particularly with the scarifiers. I just used the blade, without scarifiers, for the driveway. For use with the scarifiers, 4 wd low and front weights and minimal scarifier depth are recommended (by me).

Once the driveway was adequately leveled, I found little reason to use the box blade on it. The FEL bucket works fine for limited spots, and leveling is done almost exclusively with a galvanized steel drag mat. For full disclosure, my gravel drive is what around here is called "equestrian mix," with the gravel small enough so that it packs down smoothly and will support a horse hoof. The standard crusher run stuff is not friendly to horse hooves.

dragmat.jpg

It's been almost 2 years since I've used the box blade. All the pastures are now leveled and growing. The box blade is parked in the back of my shed, and if someone local made a reasonable offer, I'd sell it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Just throwing this out there. Have you looked at a land plane? I have read a lot of good things about then in terms of maintaining a gravel road/driveway. I have never used one personally though.

I have a box blade and use it with my X585 mainly to maintain our gravel road between visits from the city's grader. It works but I have to watch it. Our gravel road is more dirt than rock and I have to catch it at the right time. If it is too moist, the BB will collect too much material. I can lift it with the 3pt when full but I also pretty much loose all steering ability because it unloads the front end too much if it is jammed up with too much dirt. I could put some suitcase weights on the front but normally I just knock out the dirt and continue on. Mine has scarifiers but I have never really used them. Since the grader takes care of the heavy work I am mainly filling the potholes that form where there is a stop sign and it goes from gravel to the asphalt county road. Though the city recently paved another 30' of our road so I haven't needed to do any work down there in the last couple years. I have never used it for sand but have use it along with the FEL for spreading dirt in the yard and it works well for that. I also use it for ballast when I move my suitcase weights over to my Z950R when running the MCS for fall/spring cleanup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not looked into other implements very much. Just figured or thought a box blade was the goto to maintaina gravel driveway, but do have other yard projects in mind i thought a box blade would help with. But main thing is fixing and leveling out my driveway that gets pounded with pot holes when it rains.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have not looked into other implements very much. Just figured or thought a box blade was the goto to maintaina gravel driveway, but do have other yard projects in mind i thought a box blade would help with. But main thing is fixing and leveling out my driveway that gets pounded with pot holes when it rains.
I’ve had 3. I have an 84 inch woods now that is great for spreading material, leveling, grading. I use my 72 inch landscape rake for keeping the driveway in shape and a bit of snow removal when it’s just a few inches.

On my 28hp 4200, I had a 60 inch box that was manageable, but close to the limit for that tractor.

I like having the rake and the box, if I had to have one, I’d get a rake. But with Brian’s top and tilt, the box is amazingly efficient at grading.

Reactions: Robnik

·
Registered
203 Posts
Check out the everythingattachments 54” land shark box blade made specifically for a scut, it also comes in a 48” model but I went with the 54” model and liked it. I ended up selling it and buying a land plane though. You may want to check those out also before purchasing a box blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts

I have a 5' Box Blade for my 1023e & like it. I have a sloped dirt driveway that washes out frequently. Our soil seems like 70% rocks. The box works good both for summer maint & snow removal. The adjustable scrapers are helpful for breaking up ice. I'm using all the harvested rocks for stone walls.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The best device I found to maintain my 400foot gravel driveway was a set of double bedsprings it did it all filled leaved and graded needing only several passes

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the 54" EA Boxblade for SCUTs and am very happy with it. I can stall the 1025R if it gets full of clay, but i try to run it 50% full if i can help it. I do put suitcases on both the box and the front end of the tractor to get more ground bite with a bit less material in the box. If i run the BB with 10x suitcase in the rear and an empty FEL up front, its pretty light in the nose - doesn't steer well on pavement. I have to second that TNT would be a fantastic addition to a boxblade - i hate adjusting mine manually, but by not doing so it makes it far more work than it would be if i got my butt off the tractor and adjusted it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have the Frontier 48" BB on my 1025r and sometimes it has a hard time when I really dig in with the scarifiers. Otherwise it does a great job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts