Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a Church Trustee , and the Church was built in 1879 seems like always something to work on . Last evening at play practice someone mentioned that the door on bathroom vanity was hanging crooked. Like a dummy , I didn't check it out till this afternoon. Well I had looked at it a few weeks ago and I was planning on making a complete new front with new cabinet door. Went over today to measure everything , noticed the side of cabinet was pushing out and seemed wet, we it wasn't wet it was soaked..and the bottom shelf. Long story short , $225.00 later, a trip this afternoon to get new cabinet ,faucets, drain and new lines. Hoping to change the cabinet , and everything tomorrow. If I think of it I will post pictures.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I'd like to see pictures. I need to do that project in my Master bath. Not sure if I am up to that task, but seeing someone else's work might help me get it done.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
Being a Church Trustee , and the Church was built in 1879 seems like always something to work on . Last evening at play practice someone mentioned that the door on bathroom vanity was hanging crooked. Like a dummy , I didn't check it out till this afternoon. Well I had looked at it a few weeks ago and I was planning on making a complete new front with new cabinet door. Went over today to measure everything , noticed the side of cabinet was pushing out and seemed wet, we it wasn't wet it was soaked..and the bottom shelf. Long story short , $225.00 later, a trip this afternoon to get new cabinet ,faucets, drain and new lines. Hoping to change the cabinet , and everything tomorrow. If I think of it I will post pictures.
You can do this. The only bad part I can think of is when you have to mate abs or pvc pipe to galvanized pipe. That can run into problems. I haven't had to do this in a long time so maybe they have a fix for it by now. :bad:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts

·
Registered
11,899 Posts
Your church is fortunate to have you to keep it repaired, Gene. I'm sure that God appreciates it also.

·
Premium Member
14,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, Farmgirl ,here goes nothing. Just noticed I don't have the pictures of inside old cabinet . Finishing ripping the door off old cabinet, turned off both water lines at shut off valve. Disconnected water lines , and the drain lines. Then tried lifting the old sink up off cabinet , what ever sealant that was used top was not moving. Took a hammer and wood chisel under the top and tried breaking top loose from cabinet . It finally broke loose plus the one corner of the old top. Found 2 screws from inside cabinet to the wall, removed them. Before lifting the cabinet up over the two water shut off valves had to make the holes larger , wasn't very hard since cabinet was soaking wet. After I had shut the water off at shutoff valve I did remove the screw and the handle , made a little less size opening needed in new cabinet and kept the water line from being turned on before having the faucets connected.

Sorry I didn't take picture attaching the faucets to the top. Sure you can find this on the net. But while attaching the faucets , and to make your job easier connect the braided or flexible line to the faucets. Doing this before putting the top on cabinet just saves a lot of laying on the floor .

The new cabinet , our lines as you could see went through the bottom shelf. So I had decided location since this new cabinet was 6" larger than the one cabinet. Once I had cabinet setting up against the water lines and drain , plus cabinet was square to wall , I measured the distance from wall to front of the water lines. Transferred that measurement from back of cabinet to the correct distance and marked both sides of the pipes to give a better location . Drilled the holes , then did a test fit, lifting the cabinet up over the lines. After 3 tries and enlarging the holes a tad bit each time it fit. Located a stud put 2 screws inside back of cabinet through into the wall.
I then put a bead of silicone caulk on top of cabinet , lifted the top to cabinet and pressed it in place making sure equal amounts were on each side of the cabinet. Attached the water lines to the shut off valves, and replaced the shut off handle and screw. (Hold shut off valve handle as you remove or install the screw, just saying you could end up with a water mess Just saying :laugh:)
Almost done, attached both knobs then noticed the doors were not straight across or plumb. Withe these hinges the 2 horizontal screws will adjust left or right , or in our out. (only took a slight turn of the screw) the 4 screws will allow the door to be moved up or down..then retightened.

Turned on the water checked for leaks , had found one on the cold line , not suppose to use teflon tape but that is what stopped the leak.
As all the instructions state, don't over tighten the fittings especially using plastic drain lines or the flexible water lines. I always hand tighten the drain lines to a good tight fitting. I have been able to put the water supply lines finger tight and then just a little help with a wrench and no leaks the one today needed some extra help.
All finished rechecked for leaks and rechecked again none when I left ,, all finished after cleaning up the mess and taking away all the old items.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now house drain !!!!!

It's been one of these months for house , church drains.

Daughters FIL called a few weeks ago and told me , "He had a leak in his main bath. OK found drain line totally gone ,just on the bottom side of drain. (Like a tire is only flat on the bottom part of the tire). Replaced that drain plus had a leak on the compression water inlet line. Then he tells me his concrete utility is leaking, replaced that corroded line , then found the concrete sink had maybe as many leaks as the drain line. Not wanting to replace the sink tried Rust-Oleum NeverWet , it seal his sink and no leaks. I was surprised when the water hits the bottom of sink , the water breaks into thousands if not millions of beads. Totally surprised .
This past week the grandsons stayed the night, oldest grandson yells and ask if we always had water in the bottom of the shower...NOPE ,,,,, must have a fur ball down in the trap. After about 2-3 min of plunging all OK.
Till this evening , Kitchen sink backs up , thought no problem I'll do the plunger (DA mistake) Knew this when my foot started getting wet. Plus the dishwasher was beginning to drain when I took the line apart. What a mess.
Only the two of us , waiting till tomorrow to either dig the line up outside of house or cut the line into in bsmt..never put a cleanout in line will tomorrow... Oh well could be worse. When it rains ,it pours.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
That is the sort of luck that I have. Makes me cringe every time one plumbing project comes up, because I figure several more are right behind it.

Interesting about the Rust-Oleum Never Wet. Never heard about that before. I may want to get some of that to keep on hand!!

Good luck getting through all of that work!

·
Premium Member
14,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is the sort of luck that I have. Makes me cringe every time one plumbing project comes up, because I figure several more are right behind it.

Interesting about the Rust-Oleum Never Wet. Never heard about that before. I may want to get some of that to keep on hand!!

Good luck getting through all of that work!
Never wet comes in clear,white or black... I was surprised..

After almost 3 hrs (working by myself) ,hand dug outside the house ,no water coming there. Had to cut the drain line coming from sink about mid way across our bsmt (really only place with out removing a wall , pulling up carpet and making one big mess in a spare bedroom.)
Met my brother and 4 others for breakfast , so on the way home stopped at blue big box, spent $90.00 , Bought several extra things just in case , but at least saved another trip to get items needed.
After cutting line into and getting soaked, found clog was still further down the line. Used the new snake I bought and after about an hour felt I had the lines cleaned out enough to put everything back together. Most have done OK , dishwasher , 3 loads of laundry and clean shower , water still going down the drains.
Well if it last another 43 years , either I won't be around or if I'm here won't matter because I won't care.:lol: As the wife and I was saying , sure could have been worse. Could have had snow on the ground or pouring down the rain or breaking up the basement floor ...:thumbup1gif:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts