Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard thru the JD grape vine that Deere will no longer offer the dealers "dry batteries ". We used to sell a dry battery, when you buy it, we added acid and charged it. No more. Exide will no longer ship dry batteries under the JD name. A route truck will now deliver batteries wet. Up to the dealer to float charge batteries and keep in stock. Exide will rotate out old stock for fresh batteries. Deere is working to get Exide on a regular schedule to supply dealers with needed stock. We used to be able to order and stock wet and dry.. No more.. Wet only.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
That's probably good news since the dry batteries were more expensive compared to the wet-charged counterpart. Take a look at the 2-series battery below. $148.26 for the dry battery and $115.47 for the wet (not counting core credit). Pity the folks that just walked in and bought the dry battery not knowing there was a wet equivalent.

Part Number:
TY26498
Part Price: 148.26 USD
Core Value: (18.00 USD)
End Price With Core Return: 130.26 USD
On Hand:
0 Check Other Stores
Description: Dry Charged Battery - BATTERY,DRY,12V,BCI 22NF,CCA 500

Part Number:
TY26498A
Part Price: 115.47 USD
Core Value: (18.00 USD)
End Price With Core Return: 97.47 USD
On Hand:
3 (Supplier Direct - Contact your dealer for availability) Check Other Stores
Description: Wet Charged Battery - BATTERY,WET,12V,BCI 22NF,CCA 500

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,196 Posts
Does anybody know if they sell a jell cell battery for our tractors?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just heard thru the JD grape vine that Deere will no longer offer the dealers "dry batteries ". We used to sell a dry battery, when you buy it, we added acid and charged it. No more. Exide will no longer ship dry batteries under the JD name. A route truck will now deliver batteries wet. Up to the dealer to float charge batteries and keep in stock. Exide will rotate out old stock for fresh batteries. Deere is working to get Exide on a regular schedule to supply dealers with needed stock. We used to be able to order and stock wet and dry.. No more.. Wet only.

I'm trying to make sense of this. I suppose there are liability issues, and employee training and certification, that were part of the decision to drop selling dry batteries that were filled in stores by store employees. That said, all the in store batteries I have ever bought came off the shelf with electrolyte already in them. I've never seen a dry battery being filled at time of purchase.

And, once a dry battery is filled, how long does the store take to charge it to capacity before they install it or let you walk out of the door with it?

Also, I've never seen any off the shelf batteries being charged in a store. Do stores actully have these batteries on a monitored recharge cycle before they are sold, or do they just depend on turnover to omit this? I do check date of manufacture before I buy an off the shelf wet battery, and I have seen some that were over a year old.

Just wondering. :dunno:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Yes, there are AGM batteries that fit, if that's what you mean.

The stock 1-series battery, Part Number LV15187 is rated at 500CCA and 600CA. It is a Group 22NF battery, and I have not been able to locate an AGM battery in that group with a better or even close rating. Most 22NF batteries are deep cycle batteries for things like wheel chairs.

But Group 51R batteries are the same size and are drop-in replacements for the stock battery. There are a lot of Group 51R batteries that pretty well match the Deere stock numbers, but they are not AGM batteries. There are several Group 51R AGM batteries, but they tend to have slightly less cranking amp ratings than the non-AGM counterparts, typically in the mid 400 CCA range. They are also more expensive than the stock lead-acid Deere battery. The exception is the Rural King RK-AGM51R at $124.99.

Autocraft, Exide, Duralast, Duracell, and Bosch all have Group 51R AGM batteries. I cannot find an Interstate or Optima battery in the correct size. There is an Optima yellow top, but thats a deep cycle battery.

If you want more than stock battery cranking power, the only AGM one I've found so far is the the XS Power AGM 5100R which is sold by Summit Racing. But it's the most expensive, at $250. It has a 745 cranking amp rating.

When my replacement time comes, I'm going with one of the slightly less power than stock AGM batteries, since I live in an area where freezing is not common.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

I put an AGM battery in my 4066R summer of 2017...... Only way to go.

Dave

·
Registered
134 Posts
I ditched the small JD 500cca battery and its hold down bracket that limits you to their battery. Fabricated a simple hold down for a larger 750cca battery. 4763D591-0C03-43BA-81C9-EB60D7FA01F4.jpeg

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I've never seen a dry battery being filled at time of purchase.

And, once a dry battery is filled, how long does the store take to charge it to capacity before they install it or let you walk out of the door with it?

Also, I've never seen any off the shelf batteries being charged in a store. Do stores actully have these batteries on a monitored recharge cycle before they are sold, or do they just depend on turnover to omit this? I do check date of manufacture before I buy an off the shelf wet battery, and I have seen some that were over a year old.

They are fully charged the moment they are filled:good2:

My dealer has always filled them at the time of order, but I didn’t really like it too much...they always had electrolyte on top, and I always washed them off with baking soda.
The upside is they are always fresh.

JD is actually selling a few AGM’s now, and I’m sure the list will keep growing. It’s the wave of the future—kinda. I’m thinking Li technology may eclipse lead acid in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts

Are you sure it’s still Excide that makes the strongbox?
I came accords this mini article, on the Johnson Controls employee portal. There are so many acronyms, I can’t figure out what they are talking about:laugh:
I know the strongbox spiral wound AGMs are Johnson Controls Optimas...They have an unmistakable look.
It seems like they play their cards close to the vest when it comes to who makes them.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Yes, there are AGM batteries that fit, if that's what you mean.

The stock 1-series battery, Part Number LV15187 is rated at 500CCA and 600CA. It is a Group 22NF battery, and I have not been able to locate an AGM battery in that group with a better or even close rating. Most 22NF batteries are deep cycle batteries for things like wheel chairs.

But Group 51R batteries are the same size and are drop-in replacements for the stock battery. There are a lot of Group 51R batteries that pretty well match the Deere stock numbers, but they are not AGM batteries. There are several Group 51R AGM batteries, but they tend to have slightly less cranking amp ratings than the non-AGM counterparts, typically in the mid 400 CCA range. They are also more expensive than the stock lead-acid Deere battery. The exception is the Rural King RK-AGM51R at $124.99.

Autocraft, Exide, Duralast, Duracell, and Bosch all have Group 51R AGM batteries. I cannot find an Interstate or Optima battery in the correct size. There is an Optima yellow top, but thats a deep cycle battery.

If you want more than stock battery cranking power, the only AGM one I've found so far is the the XS Power AGM 5100R which is sold by Summit Racing. But it's the most expensive, at $250. It has a 745 cranking amp rating.

When my replacement time comes, I'm going with one of the slightly less power than stock AGM batteries, since I live in an area where freezing is not common.
There is an Optima 51R available.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
They are fully charged the moment they are filled:good2:

My dealer has always filled them at the time of order, but I didn’t really like it too much...they always had electrolyte on top, and I always washed them off with baking soda.
The upside is they are always fresh.

JD is actually selling a few AGM’s now, and I’m sure the list will keep growing. It’s the wave of the future—kinda. I’m thinking Li technology may eclipse lead acid in the not too distant future.
Not really. They might be charged to a degree, usually 80% or less, but they still need charged once filled to be 100% charged.
Deere actually recommends this, or used to anyway, with the Strongbox batteries. Just about all manufacturers do with dry batteries. Motorcycles especially come to mind, since thats the majority of my dry battery experience.

Im actually glad they no longer get them dry. Im sure some dealers were pretty good at getting it right, but having worked at my local dealer some years back, Id seen several batteries overcharged and then just put out for sale like it was no big deal. Having had two myself that failed way early, I gave up buying them, and oddly enough, my el-cheapo Walmart battery has outlasted TWO Strongbox batteries so far and is still going strong. Once it kicks the bucket, I may give them a shot again, since I dont have to worry about the dealers lowest paid employee who could care less about his job charging them properly before they get to the customer.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Not really. They might be charged to a degree, usually 80% or less, but they still need charged once filled to be 100% charged.
Deere actually recommends this, or used to anyway, with the Strongbox batteries. Just about all manufacturers do with dry batteries. Motorcycles especially come to mind, since thats the majority of my dry battery experience.

Im actually glad they no longer get them dry. Im sure some dealers were pretty good at getting it right, but having worked at my local dealer some years back, Id seen several batteries overcharged and then just put out for sale like it was no big deal. Having had two myself that failed way early, I gave up buying them, and oddly enough, my el-cheapo Walmart battery has outlasted TWO Strongbox batteries so far and is still going strong. Once it kicks the bucket, I may give them a shot again, since I dont have to worry about the dealers lowest paid employee who could care less about his job charging them properly before they get to the customer.
Walmart batteries are Johnson Controls too I think.
I’ve never charged the dry charged batteries before using them. I suppose 80 charge is good enough for the alternator to charge it. I usually get 6,7, or 8 years out of them. That’s pretty good for Minnesota.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,196 Posts
I don't know what AGM is but I take it that it's what I call a jell cell?! Reason I asked is because I don't like liquid filled type because they leak, even the maintance free ones. With the bumps and hills around here it can be a problem. The battery that came with this 1026 hasn't leaked yet but all my other batteries in other tractors did. I still have the original battery in this tractor. Over 5 years so far.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I found the Optima 51R yellow top battery at several places, but it is a deep cycle battery. I was looking to see if there was an Optima red top starting battery made in Group 51R, but couldn't find one.

Where did you find the red top? Do you have the CA and CCA available? And price? Thanks.

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
This is what I recently bought for my 2720 when it suffered the infamous “Sudden Battery Death.”

·
Registered
913 Posts
I don't know what AGM is but I take it that it's what I call a jell cell?! Reason I asked is because I don't like liquid filled type because they leak, even the maintance free ones. With the bumps and hills around here it can be a problem. The battery that came with this 1026 hasn't leaked yet but all my other batteries in other tractors did. I still have the original battery in this tractor. Over 5 years so far.
Some people use gel battery when talking about AGM batteries. AGM batteries are more vibration resistant than standard lead acid wet batteries. AGM batteries have no free liquid, so they don't leak, and they can even be mounted sideways if you want. Vibration resistance makes them a good option for tractors. They also do not require venting so you don't need to worry about the vent tube in the tractor. A big plus for me also is that they can be shipped by UPS and Fedex, so I can buy one online and have it delivered to my door.

The last 2 AGM batteries I bought were from Advance Auto Parts online, with free 2nd day shipping, and a $50 discount from their in-store prices and only an $8.00 core charge. For the core refund, an old battery just needed to be dropped off at any of their stores.

·
Registered
913 Posts
This is what I recently bought for my 2720 when it suffered the infamous “Sudden Battery Death.”
Is your Optima battery a yellow top or a red top? What size / Group is it?

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
It’s an Optima yellow top 51R. :good2:
Did that fit the hold-down brackets on your 2720 without any modifications?
Some people use gel battery when talking about AGM batteries. AGM batteries are more vibration resistant than standard lead acid wet batteries. AGM batteries have no free liquid, so they don't leak, and they can even be mounted sideways if you want. Vibration resistance makes them a good option for tractors. They also do not require venting so you don't need to worry about the vent tube in the tractor. A big plus for me also is that they can be shipped by UPS and Fedex, so I can buy one online and have it delivered to my door.
That is a nice feature of AGM. I recently had to get a new battery for my Honda generator and it is an AGM. I was able to get a replacement battery on-line in its OEM form (same make/model but no Honda P/N sticker) for half of what Honda wanted. It came Priority Mail, fully charged and ready to go. :)

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
Did that fit the hold-down brackets on your 2720 without any modifications?
No sir. Although the batteries are essentially the same size, the OEM battery uses a base clamp design while the Optima doesn’t have those provisions. I’ll have to fab something up yet.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts