Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the wonderful performance of the John Deere batteries and any battery brand I put in my Jeep :lol:... I went out and purchased a CTEK battery Analyzer and I feel it has already saved my butt. its pretty cool little unit.

In this video you can see it diagnoses an issue that might have saved me from being stranded.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,449 Posts
Will it do 6 volt?

·
Premium Member
12,186 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,724 Posts
Thanks for the posting, I admit buying one could be handy at times. You can take your battery to Advance Auto, Auto Zone would guess Wally World and they will test your battery with no cost to you.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought the same thing 56, in fact I was following up each test with my Fluke. But I do not know how to determine the current CCA's of a battery with my Fluke?

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I thought the same thing 56, in fact I was following up each test with my Fluke. But I do not know how to determine the current CCA's of a battery with my Fluke?
You can certainly do more with a battery tester than a Fluke, but how valuable that information is just depends on what you're doing. If I have a battery failing a load test, I replace it just as you would a battery with weak CCA.

·
Premium Member
9,133 Posts
Have you tried an Optima battery in the Jeep?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Optimas are nowhere near what they used to be. People around here are having much better luck with Interstate batteries.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you tried an Optima battery in the Jeep?
I have had 4 Optimas in it. The best battery I have found to date is the Sears Platinum. The is a Odyssey battery. 4 year full replacement and then it starts to prorate for 4 more years. I have not replaced the one I have in there now in 3 years.

·
Premium Member
12,186 Posts
What does this unit do that cannot be done better with this one (because it puts a load onto the battery)?
100 Amp 6 Volt/12 Volt Battery Load Tester

I have this thing for many years, and I am happy with it, low cost and reliable!
I was wondering the same thing. At first glance it appears the little digital analyzers are a bit more idiot proof as the user does not need to know how to count to 10 or interpret the analog meter reading for CCA. The advantage of these units is they are actually applying a load to the battery rather than using a high frequency signal.

BTW, if you check a site like Amazon you will see there are multiple styles of these carbon pile load testers and they even have a digital version which does away with the meter and replaces it with an LCD display that does the analytics for you.

I guess it's hard to know which type of device does a better job until you've had an opportunity to use both.

·
Premium Member
9,133 Posts
I have had 4 Optimas in it. The best battery I have found to date is the Sears Platinum. The is a Odyssey battery. 4 year full replacement and then it starts to prorate for 4 more years. I have not replaced the one I have in there now in 3 years.
What are you doing with/to the batteries? I've pounded the snot out of batteries in off road rigs and the Optima has always held up great. Vibration kills the lead plates in typical batteries.

Buy the way the same company makes the Optima and the Sears batteries, as well as several others.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What are you doing with/to the batteries? I've pounded the snot out of batteries in off road rigs and the Optima has always held up great. Vibration kills the lead plates in typical batteries.

Buy the way the same company makes the Optima and the Sears batteries, as well as several others.

I think they sat around too much and I used a battery tender junior on them. Over those years, I had been luck to run a tank of fuel through the Jeep. But all in all, I blame the cheap battery tenders.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Here's a F-350 cranking up. You see a brief period while when the starter solenoid 1st energizes. Then you can see how low the battery gets when the starter solenoid 1st kicks in. Then, you can see the wave-like pattern that matches the womp-womp-womp of the motor turning as it cranks. Then, you can see when the engine starts and takes over (no more load) and then the alternator kicks in and the voltage starts to go up.

You can also see all the brush noise in the starter, and how it goes down once things are moving. Not sure what the little spikes of noise are, but, suspect they are from various electrical subsystems that use switching power supplies to turn the +14 into whatever they need.

Not a bad way to see how your battery and other systems are doing. This "tester" is a bit pricy, but, a nice picture.

- pete

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
Certainly a nice analyzer. Would be great in a well equipped shop or a test lab. But what value has this knowledge to the average guy like me? I do not know what is normal and what is fault. I know that with a simple battery tester that puts a resistance onto the battery.

·
Premium Member
9,133 Posts
Are you talking about Johnson Controls?
Yes. They also make the Interstate battery and several that Autozone sells as well.

·
Premium Member
9,133 Posts
I think they sat around too much and I used a battery tender junior on them. Over those years, I had been luck to run a tank of fuel through the Jeep. But all in all, I blame the cheap battery tenders.
It could be the Jeep getting back at you for leaving it sit....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts