Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does JD put the battery up in front?
Fan draws air through front screen, so if blowing snow, a constant influx of snow dust coats battery and soon cable ends become extremely corroded.
Not well thought out.

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
798 Posts
My former Kubota L2900 and my current Deere 4720 have batteries up front. I use the battery terminal spray that auto parts stores sell to coat the posts. I suppose it’s there because it’s a vacant space otherwise. My former Komatsu D39P-1 dozer had lots of room to stick a battery almost anywhere, my Bobcat E42 has the battery right front- sort of buried and not easy to access. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Not as good as the spray coating, but I have been using just a coating of grease on terminals for years and works great
Yea...I have what must be a 30 year old tub of Vasoline in the garage I used to use.....but the stuff in the spray can means I don't need a wet-nap when I'm done applying it. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
13,603 Posts
Not as good as the spray coating, but I have been using just a coating of grease on terminals for years and works great
My dad was a mechanic and they used to hate it when guys would coat the terminals with grease instead of using the battery terminal spray. One time as a joke to the guy who was the worst grease offender, they took an old battery and drilled and tapped the two battery terminals and installed grease zerk fittings. They then sat the battery on his work bench. Everyone had a good laugh of course. :)

·
Premium Member
8,378 Posts
Real estate on all these tractors is at a premium, and in front of the radiator is often the only place the battery can go.

Be glad they aren't Chrysler 200 sedans that had the battery located so low in the engine bay that a wheel had to removed to get at the damn thing. :banghead:

No, I didn't own a 200; I just saw that's how Chrysler did things with that car at the Denver auto show a few years back. Batteries are consumable items; they should be relatively easy to service and replace.

·
Registered
593 Posts
John Deere is not the only tractor manufacture in the United States. I don't understand why you just realized, that you don't like the battery location.

·
Premium Member
13,603 Posts
After seeing the battery location on some tractors (including JD's own X700-series), I'm glad the battery is right up front. It makes it very easy to access for attaching battery tender cables, jump starting, cleaning and eventually - replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Real estate on all these tractors is at a premium, and in front of the radiator is often the only place the battery can go.
That's debatable, but I'm not here to argue when it wouldn't change anything.
Just wanted to see if others shared my frustration.
I'm going to put my battery inside a battery box to minimize the exposure to moisture.

·
Premium Member
13,603 Posts
That's debatable, but I'm not here to argue when it wouldn't change anything.
Just wanted to see if others shared my frustration.
I'm going to put my battery inside a battery box to minimize the exposure to moisture.
You must do what you feel best but consider that JD has been locating uncovered batteries up front on compact tractors for at least 38 years and the location has never proved to be an issue.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You must do what you feel best but consider that JD has been locating uncovered batteries up front on compact tractors for at least 38 years and the location has never proved to be an issue.
Were you not reading about the cable ends corroding?

·
Administrator
18,787 Posts
I use the NAPA version of this on all my batteries, never any corrosion issues here.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I keep a quart of 140WT gear oil in the shop specifically for batteries,
I add a couple drops to each terminal every time I service ANY machine, car, truck,,, etc,,, any battery!

The gear oil seems to seep into the terminal better,
and it will soak back into the cable, where grease stays put.

Gear oil really stops the corrosion well.:bigthumb:

I have been doing that for a couple decades,,

Any oil will work, even the last few drops out of the plastic container left from the oil change you just finished,,

I have been wanting to try synthetic gear oil,, synthetic seems better for everything else,,,:dunno:

:mocking:

Oh, yea, I use the same 140WT for "sealed" ball bearings,, the gear oil will ooze right past the seal,,
I have noticed how much the oil can quiet a bearing,,

It is especially good for the V-belt idler pulley on a mower .

·
Premium Member
13,603 Posts
Were you not reading about the cable ends corroding?
I sure did. The terminals and cable ends of any battery will have a tendency to corrode regardless of its location if they are not cleaned and treated properly. The application of a suitable battery terminal protector will keep the terminals and cable ends corrosion free.

Reactions: mjncad and ctrider

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I sure did. The terminals and cable ends of any battery will have a tendency to corrode regardless of its location if they are not cleaned and treated properly. The application of a suitable battery terminal protector will keep the terminals and cable ends corrosion free.
This is true, which is why this should be done on the assembly line or point of assembly in the 1st place.
Also, on my 2032, the cables are at needed length with no extra. This leaves no opportunity to replace cable ends without replacing entire cable.
None of this crap is a huge deal. I've got a heated shop & capability to deal with. But there are a lot of "hobbyists" buying these machines that don't know a torx bit from a torque wrench and have no business fiddling with any repairs. They buy John Deere partly because of the image of being the best thing out there (which I believe that they truly are). Which is why they should be the brand doing the extra little things that easily prevent simple avoidable issues. Not complaining, just pointing out an opportunity to make improvements that would positively affect other's ownership experience.

My tractor has never spent a night outdoors and is thoroughly thawed out & dry between uses. So if I am experiencing this, I can assure you that most everyone blowing snow with same machine is also experiencing it.

Reactions: jgayman

·
Registered
987 Posts
You're blowing snow. it's going to get places you don't want it to. Much like playing in sand.
There are Kubota models that when combined with snow blowers, will completely block off the air intake forcing the machine to a stop, until it is removed.
B2650 using SnowBlower Black Smoke!! - OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

It's blowing snow. It's going to get in places you don't want it. :dunno:

Make cleaning your battery terminals a spring maintenance item.

·
Premium Member
13,603 Posts
This is true, which is why this should be done on the assembly line or point of assembly in the 1st place.
Also, on my 2032, the cables are at needed length with no extra. This leaves no opportunity to replace cable ends without replacing entire cable.
None of this crap is a huge deal. I've got a heated shop & capability to deal with. But there are a lot of "hobbyists" buying these machines that don't know a torx bit from a torque wrench and have no business fiddling with any repairs. They buy John Deere partly because of the image of being the best thing out there (which I believe that they truly are). Which is why they should be the brand doing the extra little things that easily prevent simple avoidable issues. Not complaining, just pointing out an opportunity to make improvements that would positively affect other's ownership experience.

My tractor has never spent a night outdoors and is thoroughly thawed out & dry between uses. So if I am experiencing this, I can assure you that most everyone blowing snow with same machine is also experiencing it.
I don't disagree with what you are saying. I have no idea why manufacturers don't always do the little things that can improve reliability. If I were to have a beef with the battery situation on these tractors it would be that given all the extra room in front of the radiator, WHY did they choose to use a mounting system that only works with one group-size battery? There is plenty of room to accommodate batteries of various sizes but the hold-down method used limits you to one battery.

As for your tractor having never spent a night outdoors... that may be true AFTER you took delivery but chances are it spent many a night out in the weather at the factory or on the truck prior to delivery. Every time I see a dealer's lot full of tractors sitting in the rain or with 10" of snow on top of them I think about the guy who will purchase one in better weather and then rush right home to get it into the heated garage before it gets wet. I once saw a field full of New Holland Boomer compact tractors. There must have been 50+ of them... all sitting in the weeds waiting to be trucked to dealers across the country. Again... into the hands of proud new owners who quickly get them into the warm dry garage never realizing they just spent a month sitting in an open field.

Like you, I always keep my tractor stored indoors and don't like to leave it out in the rain but I know it spent some time outdoors on the dealer's lot. Also... clearing snow when it is snowing... raining... sleeting... gets my tractor wetter than any rain storm ever would. :)

·
Registered
23,559 Posts
I use the NAPA version of this on all my batteries, never any corrosion issues here.
I’ve had a corrosion issue with my replacement battery from Napa for years now. The pros around here tell me the battery must have a leak - as in the gasses can leak from the case somewhere. Every 6 months I was replacing battery ends.

I finally got some of this spray and haven’t seen a bit of corrosion since - about a year now. I know it’s a work around and not a fix of my issue but I hate replacing something that works. So in the meantime this works for me. I now take the ends off the terminals and give it a shot at each of my semi-annual maintenance jobs.

Good stuff - it works!

·
Premium Member
13,603 Posts
I’ve had a corrosion issue with my replacement battery from Napa for years now. The pros around here tell me the battery must have a leak - as in the gasses can leak from the case somewhere. Every 6 months I was replacing battery ends.

I finally got some of this spray and haven’t seen a bit of corrosion since - about a year now. I know it’s a work around and not a fix of my issue but I hate replacing something that works. So in the meantime this works for me. I now take the ends off the terminals and give it a shot at each of my semi-annual maintenance jobs.

Good stuff - it works!
A leak will do exactly as you describe. The battery in my Toyota was causing the hold-down bracket to rust terribly. Despite cleaning, priming and repainting the bracket it would still rust again. I replaced the battery and have had no further issues with corrosion.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts