Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

For those of you using battery maintainers what brand and size are you using for your 1025r? I want trouble free battery performance in all temp conditions and have every intention of also using a coolant heater for the winter months.

Thanks
-southsidehacker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,764 Posts
I have at least 6 Battery Tender Jr's for the bikes and tractors. My neighbor tried a Horrible Fright one for his backup genset one time, 1 month later his battery was cooked dry and ruined, guess what he's using now?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Same here with the Battery Tender Junior's. They are best thing going to keep your batteries in tip top shape. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Another vote for the BT Jr. I have two that rotate amongst the equip.
Haven't replaced a battery since I started using them. :good2:
Probly just jinxed myself. :banghead:

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Same here Bt. Just had to put a battery in my Moms car. Battery was original, 11 years old. She goes to Arizona for the winters and always has had a Bt J on it. Have one on everything and has put an end to buying batteries.

·
Registered
913 Posts
batterytender.jpg

The Junior may be waterproof as well, but I know this one is. I've had one outside on the driveway next to my 30 year old driven once a month car without problems for at least 15 years.

I also have the same model on my Honda home generator, my Yamaha portable generator, wired behind the grille of my seldom driven SUV, and on the 12V battery for a portable water pump.

They are about $15 more than the Junior model, but I like having a long power cord rather than having to plug the box directly into an outlet.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have at least 6 Battery Tender Jr's for the bikes and tractors. My neighbor tried a Horrible Fright one for his backup genset one time, 1 month later his battery was cooked dry and ruined, guess what he's using now?
The company's name is DelTran. I have literally sold 1,000's over 20 years. Sometimes they have a different name/sticker on them but come from the same company. Like Harley Davidson, Drag Specialties, even seen pink ones for breast cancer awareness. (Not a big seller)

I have an older version of this. Got it for free at work. My old boss gave it to me to check one day for a customer. Before I could get it done he sold the guy a new one. Guess one of them couldn't wait. Turns out it was good so I ended up keeping it.

The JR is only .750 amp charging strength. The one I usually recommend is the 1.25 amp model. It's about the right size for a bike or tractor battery. The JR works but is slow as heck. The 1.25 amp performs a little better. Especially if you have a low charge and want to get it up and running. On average a new battery rated for 350 cca @12.6 volts will take close to 8 hours to fully charge with a 1.25 amp charger. The 1.25 obviously performs better with a car battery.

You can also get a 5 amp model if you don't mind spending the money.

The .800 amp water proof is what you want if it's going to be used out in the weather.

They even make solar powered models. Never actually sold one but it would be handy if your storage shed doesn't have electric.

The kits come with a male/female plug on the output cable. Then they give you 2 harnesses that attached to it. One has a set of alligator clips for temporary hook ups and one with metal eyes to hard wire to the battery. This way you can hook it up without opening the hood every time. Extra harnesses can be bought separately for multiple batteries.

·
Registered
124 Posts
batteryminders are what i use

use them on the plane, atvs, and rv over winter for the last 10 years.
on the plane they keep the battery viable for 6 years versus average 3 years without. at $700 for a battery...

·
Registered
913 Posts
They even make solar powered models. Never actually sold one but it would be handy if your storage shed doesn't have electric.
batterytendersolar.jpg

That reminded me that I also have one of these. This 5 watt panel is currently about $60 on Amazon.

I used it for many years to keep the brake battery on my horse trailer charged when not towing for a while. I also had a cigarette lighter plug so I could use it for an old car that tended to drain its battery when parked for a week or so, when I had no nearby electrical outlet. It worked very well for both jobs.

New cars obviously don't have always live 12 volt outlets, so it would require some re-wiring of a newer car to use this solar panel. I wanted to put the panel on the dash when in use;I didn't want to leave it propped outside on the hood with a direct wire to the battery.

BTW, the solar panel is waterproof.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
I have a 10 watt solar Battery Tender that I use on my 2720 as I do not have power in my storage shed. 10 watt was the largest size that would fit inside my shed's side windows. It doesn't work quite as well as it could as my windows face east and west but it provides enough conditioning to keep my battery up to snuff even during the winter months. On occasion I will remove it from the window and sit it behind the tractor when the garage door is open so it can receive full Sun. It will go to green status in just under an hour (fully charged / conditioned).

My brother has a 15 watt solar tender on the back of his camper and also one on the roof of his pontoon boat. Prior to having the solar tender on the boat the battery was constantly going dead. No more. :)

tender_rings.jpg

I bought extra sets of the ring terminal adapters so I don't have to fool with the clamps.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Another vote for the BT Jr. I have two that rotate amongst the equip.
Haven't replaced a battery since I started using them. :good2:
Probly just jinxed myself. :banghead:
Better knock on some wood !!!!! lol

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
I use a batteryMINDer 2012 for all of my charging needs. It works full-time charging fence charger batteries, and when it gets cold it is hooked to the tractor, and in the spring I use it to charge the mower battery.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have a 10 watt solar Battery Tender that I use on my 2720 as I do not have power in my storage shed. 10 watt was the largest size that would fit inside my shed's side windows. It doesn't work quite as well as it could as my windows face east and west but it provides enough conditioning to keep my battery up to snuff even during the winter months. On occasion I will remove it from the window and sit it behind the tractor when the garage door is open so it can receive full Sun. It will go to green status in just under an hour (fully charged / conditioned).

My brother has a 15 watt solar tender on the back of his camper and also one on the roof of his pontoon boat. Prior to having the solar tender on the boat the battery was constantly going dead. No more. :)

View attachment 420266

I bought extra sets of the ring terminal adapters so I don't have to fool with the clamps.
That's the hard wire harness that I was talking about. Think they sell for around $7 retail each.

They also make a solar charger without the solar panel. It go's between the battery and an existing panel you may already have.

At any rate you want a quality smart charger that is automatic.
You absolutely don't want an actual trickle charger. They are the cheepest on the market. No matter how slow they are the battery will eventually get fully charged. Then it will cook itself until it's ruined.
Think of it like a sink or tub with a closed drain and a dripping faucet. Eventually the downstairs is getting flooded.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have several Battery Tender Jr.s. 2 for the bikes, 1 for the summer only car, 1 for the tractor... I plug the car and bikes in all winter and, if I'm not using them for a week or so in the summer, I'll plug them in then too. The bikes are hardwired with the harness shown above and someday I'll put a harness on the car too, but for now I use the clamps.

Want to know if they work? I had a 2006 Yamaha FJR-1300 that I just sold to my brother-in-law and the bike still has the factory battery. I gave him a BTJr when I sold him the bike! :good2:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts