Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question is this: Should I plug x750 and ATV's in to battery tenders throughout the year, or just in the winter months?

The JD is run weekly. One of the ATV's gets run weekly, the other sits for a few weeks at a time.

Thoughts / suggestions? Thanks, D.

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
IMO, unless you have a known battery problem (i.e. a weak battery), there is no reason to use a battery tender on any machine that is run weekly. I only use mine on batteries that are in long term storage (several months between use). If a battery can't hold a charge for a week, it's at a point where it should be replaced.

·
Registered
179 Posts
IMO it won’t hurt anything. So for the few seconds it takes: why not? I’m on original batteries in both ATVs (2012 and 2014) I think partly because they are plugged in when not moving. Same for my 2015 x750.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Won't hurt but if run weekly I wouldn't bother. Well I guess I should clarify. Run weekly as it go out and cut the yard or run weekly as in move it 10' and shut off. There is a difference. I assume you are talking to actually use it weekly.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If it starts without one, and continues to start without one, why waste/pay for, the electricity? Every once in awhile (2-3 months, throw it on) can be beneficial but there's no reason to do it all the time, on a perfectly good battery.

I have a SAE socket (battery tender plug-in) on my machine, and only use it in cold temps (continuously <40*f). That's just because the battery needs a little more attention since it works a little harder at starting in those temps.

Reactions: DaubsNU1 and kylew

·
Registered
626 Posts
I only run the battery tender if it will be month+ between use or if it’s cold so starting is much harder for the battery to do.

2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Registered
125 Posts
Running a battery tender will only extend the life of your battery. I have all my sleds, atvs, boats, yard equipment, etc on tenders as often as possible. The thing here is that you only want a maintenance charge so the smallest tender draw you can find will be sufficient. I like the NOCO G750 it is all you will ever need if you are plugging in between operations. The one exception is an annual deep cell invigoration. Once per year you should hook your batteries up to a car charger at 10 amps or so and runs them on manual for about 30 minutes. This will get the deep cells moving and allow you tender to maintain them as well.

You will also never have a sulfur issue by taking this approach. It costs nearly nothing for all my equipment to be plugged. When the maintainer is sensing low it surges to 20 watts (this is maybe 1 minute a day), generally speaking it is 1/8th of a watt to maintain a battery. Chargers do use a lot but maintainers are nothing to run.

I also added one of these to the knock outs on my dash. NOCO - X-Connect 12V Dashmount Indicator - GC016
It makes it really easy to charge and look factory installed.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Running a battery tender will only extend the life of your battery. I have all my sleds, atvs, boats, yard equipment, etc on tenders as often as possible. The thing here is that you only want a maintenance charge so the smallest tender draw you can find will be sufficient. I like the NOCO G750 it is all you will ever need if you are plugging in between operations. The one exception is an annual deep cell invigoration. Once per year you should hook your batteries up to a car charger at 10 amps or so and runs them on manual for about 30 minutes. This will get the deep cells moving and allow you tender to maintain them as well.

You will also never have a sulfur issue by taking this approach. It costs nearly nothing for all my equipment to be plugged. When the maintainer is sensing low it surges to 20 watts (this is maybe 1 minute a day), generally speaking it is 1/8th of a watt to maintain a battery. Chargers do use a lot but maintainers are nothing to run.

I also added one of these to the knock outs on my dash. NOCO - X-Connect 12V Dashmount Indicator - GC016
It makes it really easy to charge and look factory installed.
A little off topic but since you have a CTC FEL, having a charger port available is very important. If you have the FEL on and the battery goes dead, you can't open the hood all the way to get to the battery with the FEL on. I ran into this a few months ago. Someone (not me) got off the tractor without setting the parking brake and it shut off. That person assumed the tractor was off not noticing that the lights were on. It sat for a while I didn't realize it was off because I was busy running the chainsaw and couldn't hear that it wasn't idling. Well that person when to get back on the tractor to move it and the battery was dead. With the FEL on the tractor I couldn't hook up my big battery charger to give it a boost to start it. Luckily had a 2 pin SAE wire that is zip tied to the oil dipstick that I could get to and plug it into my little 2A battery charger/float charger. I left it for a few hours and was able to start it. Without that wire already there, I am not sure how I would have been able to get to the battery to charge it. Maybe rig up something to go to the starter for positive and ground on the frame. You have to pull the hood to get to the battery and there is no way to get to that with the FEL. If you can run the tractor you can't cycle the hydraulics to get the FEL off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use a battery maintainer year-round

It's good in the winter, so why shouldn't it be good in the summer? I use an "intelligent" maintainer connected to a fused 2-wire connector I added. It takes seconds to hook up.

I was NOT using a maintainer and found that my 4-year old battery would not start my machine after sitting 1 week. So, I hooked it up to the maintainer. This actually rejuvenated the battery and now the battery is about 6 years old and going strong.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I only use them in the winter except for the Vettes. Those Danm things are always look for the key fob. Or the computers keep waking up for no reason. They are good for about 3 weeks. After that all bets are off.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Not intending to revive an older thread, but just today I was thinking about how my 1025r (bought new in March 2015) is still on the new battery, and it’s going strong, and I put it on a Battery Tender Plus year-round.

I have 3 Deltran Battery Tenders, and recently I got 2 of those Viking 4-amp smart maintainers from Harbor Freight because they were rated very well. They were only $23 with a coupon and so far work great.

I have however had at least 2 Schumacher maintainers fail, they were charging batteries to over 16 volts, which as you can imagine ruined the batteries. :banghead: Will NEVER use another Schumacher Battery maintainer.

Deltrans are stone cold reliable, but I’m very impressed with these HF Vikings.

Reactions: PaDave

·
Registered
569 Posts
As usual my .02 will vary from the masses. Say what you want but I don't use battery tenders, don't even own one.

I leave batteries over winter without starting. If the battery is relatively new (3-4 yrs) then it'll work in the spring. If its older than that I might have to jump it the first time in the spring. But thats it for rest of the summer till it sits again over winter.

Batteries usually last 7-10 years for me. With the battery tender they may last longer, who can say for sure, but I'm happy with 7-10 yrs.
In the spring if it requires jumping on the 2nd time I need it then I buy a new battery and I'm good to go for another 7-10 yrs. Batteries are not that expensive especially for small equipment.

Of course this is for items that have no draw when not in use. Don't try this with a newer car that always has a draw on it. If I had a newer car I'd disconnect the battery so the car was total dead.

For my .02 battery tenders are another item of minimal value. We tend to over think these things and end up with more stuff that is really not needed. Life is much simpler without the bother.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Used to use battery tenders a lot but not now. Had a large battery that cranks my Cummings 50K genset explode when cranking for normal monthly exercise. Tender was installed by dealer and was appropriate for maintaining battery. Module that controls genset always has a draw on battery so acid level in battery had gotten low, gas build up, pressed ignition and quite an explosion. Took forever to neutralize all the acid. Have since installed battery disconnect switches on specific purpose equipment (gensets) that have any continual draw of current. Dealer says that they never put tenders on their pull behind rental units and always install quality disconnects. Said battery explosions more common than people think especially on larger equipment that sits with a tender.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
It's good in the winter, so why shouldn't it be good in the summer? I use an "intelligent" maintainer connected to a fused 2-wire connector I added. It takes seconds to hook up.

I was NOT using a maintainer and found that my 4-year old battery would not start my machine after sitting 1 week. So, I hooked it up to the maintainer. This actually rejuvenated the battery and now the battery is about 6 years old and going strong.
I too use ‘intelligent’ maintainers (CTEK 3300) and my 2011 3320 and X748 start like they day they were purchased.
The tractors sit a fair bit...the 3320 has 160 or so hours on it, and the X748 at 180 hours.
The thing I like about her intelligent maintainers is that they cycle the charge so that if needed, they disulphide (if that’s a word!) which seems to make a significant difference.

I have three maintainers i move around for the tractors, gator, stand alone winch battery (10 year old car battery) and my 6V RV batteries in series.
Perhaps they don’t do what I think they do, but I have never been let down by a battery since I started maintaining them.

·
Registered
438 Posts
As usual my .02 will vary from the masses. Say what you want but I don't use battery tenders, don't even own one.

I leave batteries over winter without starting. If the battery is relatively new (3-4 yrs) then it'll work in the spring. If its older than that I might have to jump it the first time in the spring. But thats it for rest of the summer till it sits again over winter.

Batteries usually last 7-10 years for me. With the battery tender they may last longer, who can say for sure, but I'm happy with 7-10 yrs.
In the spring if it requires jumping on the 2nd time I need it then I buy a new battery and I'm good to go for another 7-10 yrs. Batteries are not that expensive especially for small equipment.

Of course this is for items that have no draw when not in use. Don't try this with a newer car that always has a draw on it. If I had a newer car I'd disconnect the battery so the car was total dead.

For my .02 battery tenders are another item of minimal value. We tend to over think these things and end up with more stuff that is really not needed. Life is much simpler without the bother.
Disconnecting the battery in some newer cars is not a good idea. They forget everything they have learned. They don't run or shift right for a few days. And if the fuel is old while they are learning the pinging can damage the engine. And cars like my Vette have electronic door released so they are hard to get into without the battery. I use the Battery tender Jrs and have a plug in the grille of each Vette to make hookup easy. Also won't hurt anything if I forget and back out of the garage without unhooking it. Harbor Freight sells a solar charger that I have on my flat bed trailers. That way the battery will be good even if they are not hooked to the truck for over a year. One is just for breakaway braking. The tilt bed also has a winch. If I need that I won't have time to replace a battery first. I also have a solar one on the shed my JD L110 mower is to keep it charged. My generator for our too common power outages has a battery tender. I can pull start it but the little lady can't. But she can electric start it and flip transfer switches. Again if it's dark and the power is out there is no time to be messing with dead batteries.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Disconnecting the battery in some newer cars is not a good idea. They forget everything they have learned. They don't run or shift right for a few days. And if the fuel is old while they are learning the pinging can damage the engine. And cars like my Vette have electronic door released so they are hard to get into without the battery. I use the Battery tender Jrs and have a plug in the grille of each Vette to make hookup easy. Also won't hurt anything if I forget and back out of the garage without unhooking it. Harbor Freight sells a solar charger that I have on my flat bed trailers. That way the battery will be good even if they are not hooked to the truck for over a year. One is just for breakaway braking. The tilt bed also has a winch. If I need that I won't have time to replace a battery first. I also have a solar one on the shed my JD L110 mower is to keep it charged. My generator for our too common power outages has a battery tender. I can pull start it but the little lady can't. But she can electric start it and flip transfer switches. Again if it's dark and the power is out there is no time to be messing with dead batteries.

On the cars, yes, I'm aware of that. Guess it might depend on the car. My car, tho its a daily driver, doesn't have the problems that yours might.
No shifting to relearn as its a manual, it has "normal" door handles that I can open manually at any time, Fuel isn't an issue if it sits for 6 months or so as I use premium with no ethanol. Same as all my gas powered equipment, no stabilizers or any special treatment. Yes its gotta relearn the fuel map, but letting it idle for awhile while I reset clocks and the other settings is no issue.

Not any different than putting in a new battery. Altho when installing a new battery the cars has to be coded that its a new battery so it treats it differently than the old battery.

All this wizardry is nice in some respects but it always comes in a cost of complexity and money.

As for house backup I have solar for the power outages, with a battery backup. The charger/inverters take care of the batteries. Batteries are just for power outages.

Different situations/problems call for different solutions, in some a battery tender might make sense. But not for a lawn tractor/small utility tractor that gets used as OP mentioned his is.

My main point still stands, for a lawn tractor/small utility tractor that sits over the winter a tender is not needed. I'm proof of the fact. So to OP's original question of using a tender all year long, I am proof that its not needed at all, winter or summer or all year long.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Used to use battery tenders a lot but not now. Had a large battery that cranks my Cummings 50K genset explode when cranking for normal monthly exercise. Tender was installed by dealer and was appropriate for maintaining battery. Module that controls genset always has a draw on battery so acid level in battery had gotten low, gas build up, pressed ignition and quite an explosion. Took forever to neutralize all the acid. Have since installed battery disconnect switches on specific purpose equipment (gensets) that have any continual draw of current. Dealer says that they never put tenders on their pull behind rental units and always install quality disconnects. Said battery explosions more common than people think especially on larger equipment that sits with a tender.

Another issue I never have to worry about.

Like I said sometime we tend to over think things. A battery tender for vehicles that have no draw that sit for 6 months is a perfect example of that.

There is an advantage to keeping things simple.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Disconnecting a battery on your car to prevent it from going dead? Get a modern car that is all battery. So much better then the old style with gas/diesel engines. I can’t wait until I can buy a JD tractor where I don’t have all the complexity of the engine.

2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

I never used maintainers either until I started having batteries die left and right, I have a lot of equipment that sits all winter or may sit several weeks without being used. I bought a new ATV and the battery died in 6 months, I bought a new zero turn and the battery was dead after 2 years. A new pickup truck that sat in the winter and the battery was dead after 2 years.

Everything that I’ve kept a quality maintainer on, no battery issues.

Reactions: keane
1 - 20 of 20 Posts