Green Tractor Talk banner

Battery time for the 915B

3K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  ExperimentalMechanic 
#1 ·
Folks,

I was up in the shop yesterday and the battery in my 915B barely turns the motor over. I originally thought that it was the infamous PTO switch again, but there is juice getting to the starter - just not enough. I(I keep the battery on a battery tender.)

JD wants almost $100 for their Strong Box battery. Is it worth paying the premium rather than picking up a $40-50 version from one of the big box stores?

Reactions: Gizmo2
#2 ·
Folks,

I was up in the shop yesterday and the battery in my 915B barely turns the motor over. I originally thought that it was the infamous PTO switch again, but there is juice getting to the starter - just not enough. I(I keep the battery on a battery tender.)

JD wants almost $100 for their Strong Box battery. Is it worth paying the premium rather than picking up a $40-50 version from one of the big box stores?
The last Not So Strong Box I purchased made it just long enough to be out of warranty before it died.

I'd say no.

Reactions: KeyboardJungle
#3 ·
Yikes - and the warranty is only 6 months!

#4 ·
Do not buy the DRY CHARGED battery! Get the wet charged battery (same part number with an "A" on the end). It is the same battery for $60.97 after core return.

Part Number:
TY25221A
Part Price: 69.97 USD
Core Value: (9.00 USD)
End Price With Core Return: 60.97 USD
On Hand:
0 (Supplier Direct - Contact your dealer for availability) Check Other Stores
Description: Wet Charged Battery - BATTERY,WET,12V,BCI U1,CCA 342

#6 ·
I'll check with the dealer about the TY25221A part number. Thanks.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and rtgt
#8 ·
I just called my local dealer - they charge the same for the dry as for the wet charged battery. just shy of $100 out the door. I asked about the dry charge, and he said "we fill 'em up here" and chuckled.

I take it the dry charged battery isn't sealed?

#7 ·
I had the same problem this past January, when I went to start my Z710A that had a battery tender attached, which I thought was good to go. Although the battery ...2013 factory installed Strong Box had 12.7 volts, It turned out the battery didn't have enough cranking amps to start the engine and turn the PTO clutch. So, I looked into buying a larger more CCA and cold starting amps, which after many hours of searching that size of battery wouldn't fit in the space provided.

I found that O'Reilly's Automotive has the best buy. It is a Super Start Group Size I! to post with 350CCA's and 430 CA's. Cost $7.99 with old core supplied.

#9 ·
We don't have an O'Reilly's here in Maryland. So far, it looks like Lowes is the winner, unless somebody has a better suggestion or a bad experience with this battery.

#15 · (Edited)
I just get my batteries at the local Farm Supply store. Around here we have something called Fleet Farm and I have never had an issue. A battery is a battery. As long as it fits, it doesn't matter. There are some things I will go to the dealer for (John Deere or automotive for that matter) but this isn't one.

I guess I should also say that in addition to physical size, CCA and Voltage are the obvious things to check. Oh and sometimes the polarity on the posts come into play because the wires may not be long enough if backwards. Though CCA are less of an issue with a dedicated mower like a ZTrak. I don't use it to blow my snow.

#17 ·
Out here we have tractor supply company, aka TSC. $50 for 340 CCA batteries.

Reactions: rtgt and Gizmo2
#19 ·
Many John Deere lawn tractors owners don't realize that John Deere doesn't make their batteries. So, why would anyone want to pay ups to $100 for their battery when you can buy the same battery at Tractor Supply (the Exide brand) for about $50.00.

I had the problem making that decision and decided to check out the why's and don'ts on a battery for my 2013 JD Z710A. I bought a Exide that fit right in the same battery space for $49.99.

#20 ·
It is easier for them to buy the $50 battery, thrown on a $2 sticker on it and sell it for $100 than to mess with setting up the processes to make batteries.

Reactions: Gizmo2
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.