Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery in my 2012 1023e died today. I replaced it with a 51r battery like in the picture. Like most batteries, the new one does not have a vent for the vent tube to hook onto. Is that vent tube a critical component for the battery? I realize I probably should have asked this before now... Didn't really think much of it, to be honest since I've never worried about any sort of battery vent before

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,655 Posts
The battery in my 2012 1023e died today. I replaced it with a 51r battery like in the picture. Like most batteries, the new one does not have a vent for the vent tube to hook onto. Is that vent tube a critical component for the battery? I realize I probably should have asked this before now... Didn't really think much of it, to be honest since I've never worried about any sort of battery vent before
Yes, actually it is. The lead-acid battery can leak fumes which can corrode the radiator and associated components. The only way to get around having a vent tube is to use something like a sealed AGM battery.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? So is the JD battery the only replacement option, other than an AGM battery? I didn't see anything in the way of 51 or 22 batteries that had a vent. I just kind of assumed the vent was a JD specific thing

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I had a vent on the original battery in my 4066R that died summer of last year. I replaced it with an AGM battery and no vent is needed for it.

Dave

·
Premium Member
12,655 Posts
Why not just get the JD battery for $97.47 and be done with it? You won't have to fabricate a hold-down bracket and it will have the vent tube. Plus it has more cranking capacity than the other two batteries you listed (500 CCA).

Part Number:
TY26498A
Part Price: 115.47 USD
Core Value: (18.00 USD)
End Price With Core Return: 97.47 USD
On Hand:
4 (Supplier Direct - Contact your dealer for availability) Check Other Stores
Description: Wet Charged Battery - BATTERY,WET,12V,BCI 22NF,CCA 500
Package Quantity:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
How can the vent tube be critically needed, when 99% of other similar vehicles do not have a vent tube?

I have never seen corrosion until the battery is close to the end of its life,,,
If the battery starts leaking around a post (I have seen that) the vent tube would do nothing to stop corrosion,,, :dunno:

·
Premium Member
12,655 Posts
How can the vent tube be critically needed, when 99% of other similar vehicles do not have a vent tube?
One reason I can think of is because the battery is located directly in front of the radiator and oil cooler. So they are subjected to any gases that are emitted.

I have never seen corrosion until the battery is close to the end of its life,,,
If the battery starts leaking around a post (I have seen that) the vent tube would do nothing to stop corrosion,,, :dunno:
It happens. My Toyota Highlander battery out-gassed from new and badly corroded the hold-down brackets and air cleaner bolts. I ended up replacing it with an AGM battery. The OP wanted to know if the vent tube is needed and for a lead-acid battery in a JD SCUT/CUT tractor it is.

I guess one could always install a battery without a vent and report back later if anything bad happened. :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will just have to call my dealer and see if they'll take off the $18 core charge since I already left my old battery at Rural King. Otherwise, I'm sure Rural King will let me exchange it for the AGM. Also, I did not have to fabricate anything for the 51 to fit. It is VERY slightly shorter, but that's about it
Why not just get the JD battery for $97.47 and be done with it? You won't have to fabricate a hold-down bracket and it will have the vent tube. Plus it has more cranking capacity than the other two batteries you listed (500 CCA).

Part Number:
TY26498A
Part Price: 115.47 USD
Core Value: (18.00 USD)
End Price With Core Return: 97.47 USD
On Hand:
4 (Supplier Direct - Contact your dealer for availability) Check Other Stores
Description: Wet Charged Battery - BATTERY,WET,12V,BCI 22NF,CCA 500
Package Quantity:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I have found the batteries marketed by John Deere to typically be of very good quality and their longevity has been excellent. Moreover, I have found the local dealer's pricing to be very competitive. You may want to consider these factors as well as the operating specifications that jgayman reported.

Reactions: kylew and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
12,655 Posts
I have found the batteries marketed by John Deere to typically be of very good quality and their longevity has been excellent. Moreover, I have found the local dealer's pricing to be very competitive. You may want to consider these factors as well as the operating specifications that jgayman reported.
When it comes to batteries for your SCUT/CUT or garden tractor, it can be very difficult to find a battery of the correct size that has the same CCA as the Deere batteries.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Will this work then?

That’s the one I would use if I were in your shoes, since you could exchange your other one, and they already gave you core credit.
AGM is the way to go...no question

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
After reading this thread, I checked my tractor battery. My battery has a vent, but the hose is missing. Wondering what size hose and type. How does it attach to the battery shelf or get terminated.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After reading this thread, I checked my tractor battery. My battery has a vent, but the hose is missing. Wondering what size hose and type. How does it attach to the battery shelf or get terminated.
Don't know what size it is but, assuming you have a JD battery, it hooks to a vent on the corner of battery closest to the radiator on the right (sitting on the tractor) side. There is a hole down in the compartment on the same side that it then goes down into

·
Premium Member
12,655 Posts
Wow... that is one expensive hunk of rubber hose. :)

Part Number:
LVA15506
Part Price: 11.02 USD
On Hand:
0 Check Other Stores
Description: Hose - HOSE, BATTERY, 3X20
Package Quantity:

Specification
Weight: 0.07 LBS 0.03 Kg
Inside Diameter0.250 IN
Length20.472 IN
MaterialRUBBER
Finish
Note

·
Premium Member
12,655 Posts
Wow, yes it is. I'd try to figure out what size it is and buy a short piece somewhere.
Check post above yours. :mocking:

Inside Diameter0.250 IN
Length20.472 IN

·
Registered
124 Posts
Really? So is the JD battery the only replacement option, other than an AGM battery? I didn't see anything in the way of 51 or 22 batteries that had a vent. I just kind of assumed the vent was a JD specific thing

No , not really. All lead acid batteries are vented. Just put one in it that is similar size and cca and move on. Agm batteries are very expensive compared to lead acid batteries the only thing corroded are brain cells

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
My 1994 JD-445 came with a vent hose on the battery and when it died, I replaced it with w maintenance free battery and have ever since with each replacement. The only corrosion I see is from the road salt from winter time use. The original battery had caps on it and I had to check and add water from time to time. When the battery on my 1026R dies, I will replace it with a maintenance free battery and not worry about it. Just remember if you have to check and add water the battery was made ot out gas while charging, Maintenance free will also out gas but at a significantly reduced rate. AGM batteries are sealed and don't have that problem, though the charging systems on these tractors are nor really setup to properly charge them for the long run and I don't think the expensive battery will last as long as it could if properly charged. I have changed the battery in the 445 three times since I purchased it new in 1994 and I am still on the original battery in the 2012 1026R, but I keep them on a Battery Minder when not in use and believe this helps in their long life.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts