Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this used Baumalight 3P24 Stump grinder and it is a solemn reminder that buying new equipment is simpler than buying used.

First the hoses for the up and down cylinder burst so I replaced all 4 hoses, then the flow regulator started spewing oil.

Finally got it running right and discovered that in its current state it would be better called a 'wood burner than a Stump grinder.

So my question to anyone that knows about these things is...do I just need new carbides/teeth on the bottom or do I need a whole new wheel and all new teeth?

·
Registered
2020 2025R
27 Posts
I'm definitely not an expert and I don't have a stump grinder, but I think if it was me I'd try to find someone that could sharpen those teeth. Buy a few spares, either to replace ones that are to bad to be sharpened, cracked, or broke.

I have no proof that they can be sharpened, but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
If you can replace the teeth then replace them and take the old teeth to a qualified shop that sharpens carbide tools for lathes, milling machines, etc. Simple job, and while you're at it have the shop replace the worn stud.

Just found;

Replacement teeth are available at the link below and are sold 24ea. to a package. The teeth you have are called "Planer" teeth.

BaumaLight - Teeth Options

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
By the way. That grinder is one of the better grinders available in that size. Once you've rebuilt it you can expect many years of good service. Be careful and good luck.

Bob

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
By the way. That grinder is one of the better grinders available in that size. Once you've rebuilt it you can expect many years of good service. Be careful and good luck.

Bob
Yep. The 3P24 is very nice!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought this used Baumalight 3P24 Stump grinder and it is a solemn reminder that buying new equipment is simpler than buying used.

First the hoses for the up and down cylinder burst so I replaced all 4 hoses, then the flow regulator started spewing oil.

Finally got it running right and discovered that in its current state it would be better called a 'wood burner than a Stump grinder.

So my question to anyone that knows about these things is...do I just need new carbides/teeth on the bottom or do I need a whole new wheel and all new teeth?
View attachment 784206 View attachment 784208 View attachment 784209 View attachment 784210 View attachment 784211

View attachment 784206 View attachment 784208 View attachment 784209 View attachment 784210 View attachment 784211
Had one just like it. Just need to replace the teeth. Makes a world of difference. Dont always have to replace them all just the dull ones. They are a well built machine for sure!

·
Registered
141 Posts
You can rotate the one from the very inside to the outer perimeter as they don't get used a lot, the ones on the perimeter gets the most use. You can sharpen them with a tungsten carbide grinding wheel too. The one tooth is also mounted crooked. You can also retip them if you really need to.

Reactions: chex313

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep. The 3P24 is very nice!
Got new teeth and it made a world of difference!...still seems a lot slower and rougher than your videos though Tim :) ...I guess it was an oak tree though, need to try some softer ones. I didn't expect that much struggle for my 4066R to get rid of it

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The teeth are thrashed...you can see where at least one tooth is completely gone and you're wearing through the bolt that attaches the tooth pocket.

I ground stumps for years, the teeth are definitely needing replacement.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Got new teeth and it made a world of difference!...still seems a lot slower and rougher than your videos though Tim :) ...I guess it was an oak tree though, need to try some softer ones. I didn't expect that much struggle for my 4066R to get rid of it
We use the magic of editing to make it look easy!
Just kidding. Really hard wood gives these grinders a workout! Not much fun.

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts