Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a video showing the Baumalight 1P24 Stump BLASTER in action.

Worked much better on the 1025R than I expected, honestly.

·
Administrator
18,346 Posts
That was very impressive, I could make use of that around here for a few weeks!

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
I saw this on your YouTube channel. Looks like I'm going to have to get one, that is if cost permits. Very impressive.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Great video, Tim! If I were to be passing through Carmel in the next couple of weeks, would it be OK if I borrowed it? Then you could pick it back up on your next trip through Dayton! :laugh:

Just curious - do you have a rough price on it? I'm just curious as to how it compares with a similar product (of Chinese origin, I believe) from a different Canadian company. The other grinder doesn't have the "pin" that you mentioned that lets the grinder head pivot.

I was on BaumaLight's site a couple of months ago looking at their "forestry mulchers". Would love to have one to take care of my property, but they are pricey!!

·
Premium Member
12,793 Posts
Just curious - do you have a rough price on it? I'm just curious as to how it compares with a similar product (of Chinese origin, I believe) from a different Canadian company. The other grinder doesn't have the "pin" that you mentioned that lets the grinder head pivot.
On-line pricing I found was around $2800

·
Premium Member
12,793 Posts
THANKS! That's about $700 more than the other one. But the other one also requires shipping of $300 or so.
Woodland Mills has a very similar unit for $2099. https://woodlandmills.com/product/wg24-stump-grinder/ They charge $299 flat rate shipping so that's still only $2398. One advantage of the Woodland Mills unit is it appears to be Quick Hitch compatible.

Baumalight has free shipping to the dealer and they also have offers for additional discounts if you are willing to take photos, video, etc. You have to contact them for details.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Woodland Mills has a very similar unit for $2099. https://woodlandmills.com/product/wg24-stump-grinder/ They charge $299 flat rate shipping so that's still only $2398. One advantage of the Woodland Mills unit is it appears to be Quick Hitch compatible.

Baumalight has free shipping to the dealer and they also have offers for additional discounts if you are willing to take photos, video, etc. You have to contact them for details.
Hang tight, guys. We're TRYING to put together a more 'familiar' way to buy these.

Oh, and the Baumalight comes with a set of 6 replacement teeth (the Chinese/Canadian competitor does not). Value about $90.

Tim

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Guess I'll need to get on you tube to see this as I still can't watch videos on this site. :banghead:

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Hang tight, guys. We're TRYING to put together a more 'familiar' way to buy these.

Oh, and the Baumalight comes with a set of 6 replacement teeth (the Chinese/Canadian competitor does not). Value about $90.

Tim

SORRY TIM!! :laugh: I wasn't trying to mess anything up by asking the "price question". I was merely curious how close it was in price to the Woodland Mills unit. Quite frankly, the price difference isn't that much considering:
  • The BaumaLight is made in N. America (and hopefully won't be subject to an import tarriff any time soon! :laugh:)
  • The BaumaLight comes with the extra teeth
  • There's apparently no shipping costs on the BaumaLight
  • The Woodland Mills unit doesn't have the "pivot" capability which adds some production cost, I'm sure.
Although I'd LOVE to have one, it's not on the radar for the time being. Plus, I can just pop over to Carmel and borrow yours when I need one. :laugh:

While you're working on more "familiar" ways of buying these, try to include their PTO mounted mulchers as well. I could REALLY use one of those around my place. :good2:

I'll quit trying to stir stuff up now. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
12,793 Posts
SORRY TIM!! :laugh: I wasn't trying to mess anything up by asking the "price question". I was merely curious how close it was in price to the Woodland Mills unit. Quite frankly, the price difference isn't that much considering:
  • The BaumaLight is made in N. America (and hopefully won't be subject to an import tarriff any time soon! :laugh:)
  • The BaumaLight comes with the extra teeth
  • There's apparently no shipping costs on the BaumaLight
  • The Woodland Mills unit doesn't have the "pivot" capability which adds some production cost, I'm sure.
Actually, the Woodland Mills unit pivots just like the Baumalight. The cutting heads on the two units look similar like they were designed by the same company. The only difference is the mounting frame. I would prefer the Woodland Mills design as it appears to be quick hitch compatible. The Baumalight is clearly not QH compatible. Which is a shame because it would have been so easy to make it so.

I also like the Woodland Mills built in retractable parking stand and chainsaw holder.

Also note the Woodland Mills unit weighs 120lbs more than the Baumalight. Here's another huge difference, the Woodland Mills unit comes with a slip-clutch to protect the tractor. The Baumalight uses shear bolts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeBRpAgQG7k

The pivot action is discussed at 4:28

·
Registered
253 Posts
These look like they take forever to get through a Stump, eventually a property will be stump free , and you can hire a service multiple times for that price of $2800. This is one of the few implements I feel is not worth the investment (and I bought a big tool rack - much more continuous use from that)

Tim

·
Premium Member
12,793 Posts
These look like they take forever to get through a Stump, eventually a property will be stump free , and you can hire a service multiple times for that price of $2800. This is one of the few implements I feel is not worth the investment (and I bought a big tool rack - much more continuous use from that)
I think that is the case for most folks. It would be nice to own but what do you do once the jobs are finished. I've rented a self-propelled stump grinder a few times. It was like $120 for the day. I was able to complete all my stumps in about 1/2 a day.

Reactions: Levi and PJR832

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Actually, the Woodland Mills unit pivots just like the Baumalight.
I wasn't aware of that. In the reviews I've read on it, I don't remember anyone mentioning it.

Woodland Mills design as it appears to be quick hitch compatible. The Baumalight is clearly not QH compatible. Which is a shame because it would have been so easy to make it so.
I wonder why they didn't do that? You're right, it would have been easy.

Again, my apologies to Tim. I did not intend for my question regarding a price comparison to turn this thread into a discussion critical of the BaumaLight. I think that buying one of these stump grinders is kind of like what Tim mentioned in his "Tiller Video" - you're most likely going to be happy no matter which one you buy.

·
Premium Member
12,793 Posts
Again, my apologies to Tim. I did not intend for my question regarding a price comparison to turn this thread into a discussion critical of the BaumaLight. I think that buying one of these stump grinders is kind of like what Tim mentioned in his "Tiller Video" - you're most likely going to be happy no matter which one you buy.
I assumed this thread wasn't a paid advertisement for Baumalight. Tim did an excellent review but I think most readers would appreciate knowing there are other units out there that are nearly identical and cost less. I mean, we really don't know which of these units is the better unit as no one has done a head to head comparison (that I am aware of). Personally, just from reading the specifications I would go with the Woodland unit based on the weight difference, the use of a slip clutch and it being $300 to $400 less expensive (you can buy several sets of extra carbide bits for the price difference alone).

One thing is for sure... both of these units are going to beat the crap out of your PTO and tractor. I recall Tim saying it actually slid his tractor sideways a few inches during operation. That is something to be considered when using a tractor with an aluminum transaxle housing.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
One thing is for sure... both of these units are going to beat the crap out of your PTO and tractor. I recall Tim saying it actually slid his tractor sideways a few inches during operation. That is something to be considered when using a tractor with an aluminum transaxle housing.
Take a look at 13:30 in the video. Moves him and stalls the tractor.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I assumed this thread wasn't a paid advertisement for Baumalight. Tim did an excellent review but I think most readers would appreciate knowing there are other units out there that are nearly identical and cost less. I mean, we really don't know which of these units is the better unit as no one has done a head to head comparison (that I am aware of). Personally, just from reading the specifications I would go with the Woodland unit based on the weight difference, the use of a slip clutch and it being $300 to $400 less expensive (you can buy several sets of extra carbide bits for the price difference alone).

It does give the tractor a work-out, no question.

I would caution you from comparing MSRP on this unit to the online price of the direct seller. You will very likely get a better price from your dealer.

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
Take a look at 13:30 in the video. Moves him and stalls the tractor.
I'm curious, has anyone with a smaller HP tractor ever snapped a shear bolt?

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Guess I'll need to get on you tube to see this as I still can't watch videos on this site. :banghead:
I also could not "link" to Tim's video from GTT site. Not sure why, using IE11, and haven't had issues before.

But I watched Tim's video directly on youtube ... NICE VIDEO TIM (as always) and very informative. Would be nice to rent (or borrow :laugh:), but I don't think I'd use it very often after the first flurry of stumps are done. But the video does show what our little tractors can do. Thanks.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts