Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies up front if this has been asked before. If it has I can’t find it. Ballast for a 2016 3046R with a Deluxe Cab. Will a Titan Cat. 1 BB filled with sand or pebbles be enough weight for safe handling. I sure hope so I just ordered it, be here Monday. Rock Pebbles weigh approx 96 Lbs. Per Cu.Ft. BB hold 5.3 Cu.ft. So fill weight approx. 508lbs. BB WEIGHS 132lbs. empty. Total weight of BB 604lbs. I have 3-1/2” spacers on rear as well as rear tires being filled with water. Water weight would be approx 241.86 Lbs. in each Tire for a total of 483.72 Lbs. of Ballast in the rear tires. (It doesn’t freeze near Phoenix AZ. so water works). All thoughts and constructive remarks are appreciated. Thanks ahead guys I need all the help I can get guys.

·
Premium Member
13,611 Posts
What loader do you have? I'm going to assume H165.

The loader Operator's Manual will have the minimum ballast requirements listed. If you do not have a copy you can access manuals on the JD website.

Here is an example of the H165 ballast requirements for a 3046R:

REQUIRED MINIMUM BALLAST FOR 3R, 3X20 SERIES, AND 3203 TRACTORS
Ballast[SUP]1[/SUP]
Fluid-filled rear tires and 500 kg (1100 lb) of 3-Point hitch ballast[SUP]2[/SUP] and three rear wheel weights per wheel

Here is the 320R requirements:

3120, 3320, 3520, 3720, 3033R, 3038R, 3039R, 3045R, and 3046R Tractors[SUP]1[/SUP]
Minimum Rear Ballast[SUP]2[/SUP]
Option 1
Three rear wheel weights per wheel and 350 kg (770 lb) rear hitch ballast
Option 2
Fluid filled rear tires[SUP]3[/SUP] and 300 kg (661 lb) rear hitch ballast

Reactions: rtgt

·
Premium Member
10,564 Posts
3039R, H160 FEL.

I started with filled rear tires plus a box blade (BB5072, 470#) with 400# + of added weight.

With a full loader on hills it felt just ok, so often I would drop the BB and put on the backhoe if I was going to be heavy in the front.

I just added the first set of wheel weights. Second set coming soon.

I look at the recommended ballast as the minimum.

Keeping the rear tires firmly planted is the best solution.

I like the back end to have more squat than the front end has lift.

Reactions: theduke

·
Premium Member
13,611 Posts
3039R, H160 FEL.

I started with filled rear tires plus a box blade (BB5072, 470#) with 400# + of added weight.

With a full loader on hills it felt just ok, so often I would drop the BB and put on the backhoe if I was going to be heavy in the front.

I just added the first set of wheel weights. Second set coming soon.

I look at the recommended ballast as the minimum.

Keeping the rear tires firmly planted is the best solution.

I like the back end to have more squat than the front end has lift.
Here is the info from the H160 manual:

[h=3]H160 Loader Specifications on 3120, 3320, 3520, 3720, 3033R, 3038R, 3039R, 3045R, and 3046R Tractors[SUP]1[/SUP][/h]
3120, 3320, 3520, 3720, 3033R, 3038R, 3039R, 3045R, and 3046R Tractors
Minimum Rear Ballast
Rear tires filled with liquid ballast[SUP]2[/SUP]
Six rear wheel weights
350 kg (770 lb.) minimum (3-point hitch ballast)

·
Premium Member
10,564 Posts
Here is the info from the H160 manual:

[h=3]H160 Loader Specifications on 3120, 3320, 3520, 3720, 3033R, 3038R, 3039R, 3045R, and 3046R Tractors[SUP]1[/SUP][/h]
3120, 3320, 3520, 3720, 3033R, 3038R, 3039R, 3045R, and 3046R Tractors
Minimum Rear Ballast
Rear tires filled with liquid ballast[SUP]2[/SUP]
Six rear wheel weights
350 kg (770 lb.) minimum (3-point hitch ballast)
Which wheel weights?

Depending on the tires/rims you have you can use either 48# or 75# rear wheel weights. 20" rims you only get 48# weights, 24" rims you can use 75# weights.

Maybe this is offset by the fluid capacity in the tires. :dunno:

I'll go look at the printed manual I got with the tractor/loader, but I think it had different spec's.

Reactions: jgayman

·
Premium Member
13,611 Posts
Which wheel weights?

Depending on the tires/rims you have you can use either 48# or 75# rear wheel weights. 20" rims you only get 48# weights, 24" rims you can use 75# weights.

Maybe this is offset by the fluid capacity in the tires. :dunno:

I'll go look at the printed manual I got with the tractor/loader, but I think it had different spec's.
The manual seems to be a bit vague with regards to wheel weights and tire type. They do have a chart with approved tires but it lists both of the tire sizes you mentioned above.

[h=3]Approved Rear Tires—H160 Loader[/h]
3120, 3320, 3520, 3720, 3033R, 3038R, 3039R, 3045R, 3046R
15-19.5, 6PR (R4)
41 x 14.00-20 4PR (R3 Turf)
11.2-24, 4PR (R3 Turf)
11.2-24, 4PR (R1)
12.4-24, 6PR (R1)

·
Premium Member
10,564 Posts
The manual seems to be a bit vague with regards to wheel weights and tire type. They do have a chart with approved tires but it lists both of the tire sizes you mentioned above.

[h=3]Approved Rear Tires—H160 Loader[/h]
3120, 3320, 3520, 3720, 3033R, 3038R, 3039R, 3045R, 3046R
15-19.5, 6PR (R4)
41 x 14.00-20 4PR (R3 Turf)
11.2-24, 4PR (R3 Turf)
11.2-24, 4PR (R1)
12.4-24, 6PR (R1)
:good2:

Except that the tractor with a factory loader came with R4 tires that are not listed in that chart..... 43x16x20 R4, which with the 20" wheel diameter only accepts the 48# weights.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reply’s appreciated guys. I have R4 tires and an H165 loader. So the consensus is I need 3 wheel weights on each rear tire as well as the ballast box with a total of 770 Lbs of weight on the 3 pt. hitch minimum. Is that correct?

·
Premium Member
10,564 Posts
Reply’s appreciated guys. I have R4 tires and an H165 loader. So the consensus is I need 3 wheel weights on each rear tire as well as the ballast box with a total of 770 Lbs of weight on the 3 pt. hitch minimum. Is that correct?
What loader do you have? I'm going to assume H165.

The loader Operator's Manual will have the minimum ballast requirements listed. If you do not have a copy you can access manuals on the JD website.

Here is an example of the H165 ballast requirements for a 3046R:

REQUIRED MINIMUM BALLAST FOR 3R, 3X20 SERIES, AND 3203 TRACTORS
Ballast[SUP]1[/SUP]
Fluid-filled rear tires and 500 kg (1100 lb) of 3-Point hitch ballast[SUP]2[/SUP] and three rear wheel weights per wheel
Here is what Jayman posted earlier.

·
Premium Member
10,564 Posts
I started with fluid filled rear tires and 800# of 3 point weight. For most average use, the tractor is very stable and capable.

Much of the loader use is moving brush, debris & logs with a grapple. Brush is easy. Logs, especially oak get heavy fast. I cut them accordingly and move what I can safely.

When I need to occasionally move heavy stuff I just don't max out the loader bucket.

If I have lots of heavy stuff to move, I installed the 375A backhoe.

48# Wheel weights for my tractor with 20" rims are $300 a set. :gizmo: I am getting to a point that I want / need to be better ballasted so I am in the process of adding the wheel weights. Set #1 is on. Set #2 is pending while my piggy bank fills back up.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Been pondering all this ballast stuff for my 3520.
Sho is a lot of money just to use yer tractor.

I need something heavy heavy , to use in the woods. That pretty much rules out a box blade with added weight. So I'm leaning towards a ballast box. Don't believe a loaded ballast box will come too close to the "recommended" weight.
I ain't paying that much for wheel weights.
I'll load the tires and make the ballast box heavy as I can and just have to take smaller bites I reckon.

Anything else out there I could use for ballast that would work well in the woods?

·
Premium Member
13,611 Posts
Been pondering all this ballast stuff for my 3520.
Sho is a lot of money just to use yer tractor.

I need something heavy heavy , to use in the woods. That pretty much rules out a box blade with added weight. So I'm leaning towards a ballast box. Don't believe a loaded ballast box will come too close to the "recommended" weight.
I ain't paying that much for wheel weights.
I'll load the tires and make the ballast box heavy as I can and just have to take smaller bites I reckon.

Anything else out there I could use for ballast that would work well in the woods?
The standard ballast box plus extension filled with concrete gives you 1137 lbs.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The standard ballast box plus extension filled with concrete gives you 1137 lbs.
Really. WOW! I'd a never guessed nowhere near that.
Thank yoou jg, yer a Saint. If somebody was to kidnap you we'd never know nuttin around here. LOL At least that's my observation.

I have yet to find any of the other less expensive ballast boxes that has the extension.
Wonder why Deere don't offer a bigger box that would equal the additional extension.

·
Premium Member
13,611 Posts
Really. WOW! I'd a never guessed nowhere near that.
Thank yoou jg, yer a Saint. If somebody was to kidnap you we'd never know nuttin around here. LOL At least that's my observation.

I have yet to find any of the other less expensive ballast boxes that has the extension.
Wonder why Deere don't offer a bigger box that would equal the additional extension.
Thanks! :) JD does offer a larger ballast box. It is model BW15852. Below are the weights for the small box, small box + extension and the large box.

·
Registered
474 Posts
LOL Yer something else man.
I bet if I poured one of them full of BB's you'd tell me how many I put in there.

Apparently I need to make a better effort in my research.
For some reason I thought the bigger ballast box was a Cat 2.

Looks like my problem is solved except for the part about handing over the dollars.
One of the reasons I'd been searching for a used tractor. I knew that rigging it like I wanted was gonna cost my butt.

Got my Artillian diverter in the mail today.
Order in with Brian at Fit Rite.
Will make a decision on a grapple tomorrow.
Bolt on Hooks order list is started.
Deere 4th & 5th SCV
Rear blade
Brush hog
and more......sheeeesh............

·
Premium Member
13,611 Posts
LOL Yer something else man.
I bet if I poured one of them full of BB's you'd tell me how many I put in there.

Apparently I need to make a better effort in my research.
For some reason I thought the bigger ballast box was a Cat 2.
I cannot find the specs for the larger box but given the weight it may very well be a Cat-2 box.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I don't find that box on the Deere site.
I'm thinkin it is a Cat 2.

Well the box with the extension will get me in the neighborhood. May be as good as it gets.
Common sense and seat of the pants will tell me more on game day. I think I'll be good.
My tractor will move any tree in the woods. That's what chainsaws are for.

·
Premium Member
13,611 Posts
I don't find that box on the Deere site.
I'm thinkin it is a Cat 2.

Well the box with the extension will get me in the neighborhood. May be as good as it gets.
Common sense and seat of the pants will tell me more on game day. I think I'll be good.
My tractor will move any tree in the woods. That's what chainsaws are for.
I looked up BW15852 in parts and it appears to be Cat-2. The parts shows the upper pin as 1-inch and the lower pin as 1-1/8 inch which matches Cat-2. Finding these details would have been much easier in the now defunct legacy JD Parts system.

Reactions: Corkpuller and rtgt

·
Registered
147 Posts
A Heavy Hitch and 100lb tractor weights would be about the same as a box, extension, and three sets of wheel weights. You could put 12 weights on it, with an Imatch and the HH itself you would be over 1300lbs of ballast. That would be the smallest weight package you could add to the tractor size wise. I would care to guess even ten weights would be a good starting point putting you at about 1150lbs with Imatch and weight rack.

No way on earth I would spring for three sets of Deere wheel weights, at least the 100lb weights you can find used via ag tractors. I got my 6 for 85 bucks each as part of my tractor deal.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here's a thought. I have a Hardee box blade, I'm all Cat II, that I use for ballast. My front end weights will hang quite nicely on the top edges of the box blade. Not sure of the overall weight but I think I can add 10 weights plus the box blade. If I need more than that I just put my JD 609 bush hog on.It's heavy as heck and extends 10 feet or so behind the hitch.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts