Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a tried and true BBQ sauce Recipe? My Father in Law used to make BBQ sauce and sell it commercially. It is probably the best I ever tasted, but it has so many ingredients that it is not practical to make in small batches. It is a brown BBQ sauce, contains tomato puree, but does not taste tomatoey, nor sweet, nor too hot.

I already have come up with my own rib rubb (see recipe in cook book) which I consider to be among the very best, but I also want to formulate my own BBQ sauce. Most BBQ sauces have too much tomato and taste a lot like catsup, or are too hot, or too sweet. I have a couple recipes, including the one from FG that I am going to experiment with, but thought while I am at it I would ask if anyone already had one like I have described. I believe most really good BBQ sauces are "cooked", but am willing to try something else.

My first rubb recipe was horrible, but I finally worked it out, so I figure I can do the same with the BBQ sauce. My favorite commercial sauces are Selmon Brothers and Head Country. Good, but not perfect.

Thanks.
Dennis

BTW, love the new downloadable cook book!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts
I gave up so it's now Sweet Baby Rays Honey Barbecue Sauce. I add white sugar to it to get a fast burned looking black crust on my ribs.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I gave up so it's now Sweet Baby Rays Honey Barbecue Sauce. I add white sugar to it to get a fast burned looking black crust on my ribs.
I gave up on making my own as well. I use Sweet Baby Rays. Most of the time I don't even alter it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never use BBQ sauce on my ribs. It makes them too sweet for me and it gives them a texture that in my opinion detracts from the taste of the meat. Most of the time I only use my rib rubb, but I will occasionally use Woody's cooking sauce about 30 minutes before the ribs are done. It is not sweet, or tomatoey (Is that a word?) and it seems to enhance the flavor. I personally use BBQ sauce only on the side, and very little of it at that. My rubb does contain some sugar, you need some sugar to form a crust, but not enough to make the meat taste sweet. That's why I make my own, to get the right balance. That's also why I want to see if I can make a BBQ sauce with that balance. The Head Country and Selmon Bros. sauces are pretty good, so I'll survive one way or another. :laugh:

·
Administrator
20,364 Posts
Throw the sauce away and use 2Lane's rib rub recipe. :thumbup1gif: It's darn good. :fed:

·
Administrator
20,364 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Go here

Go here. This site has everything you'll ever need, well just about. I make and use his Kansas City sauce but add extra hot sauce in the recipe. Scroll down the page to "Tested recipes."

Table of Contents

Steve

·
Registered
373 Posts
Tollies barbecue sauce

Got this from a very lovely Texas lady 25 years ago and have made and use it almost every month since
I keep it in and old catsup bottle in the refrigerator

1 cup Catsup
½ cup vinegar
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
1 full tsp. dry mustard
Tabasco to taste
1 Tsp or so of your favorite rub 2 tsp cracked pepper

all can/should be adjusted to your taste

Simmer for ½ hour

she also put in a stick of butter I don't do that any more

for chicken substitute lemon juice for Worcestershire sauce or vinegar

I hope you will like this as much as our family does