Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my birthday rolled around recently, and a couple of the things I've been hinting at wanting were at Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks <<Home>>...

My wife revealed what she got for me, and I'm super excited!

I have to wait a few days longer than normal for shipping since Ken's at the Farm Machinery Show, but I don't plan on using the items in the next few weeks, so it's all :good2:

Anyway, here's what she got me:
  • 2 bolt on hooks
  • 8' Oblong RingSling
  • 5/16" Twist Lock Slip Hook
  • 5/16" Twist Lock Grab Hook
I have a 12' logging chain that I plan on breaking into 2-6' chains and will put the slip hook on one and the grab hook on the other.

Can't wait!

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
I have everything on your list, and it’s all awesome. Everything Ken sales is top notch in quality. I use the straps for my mower deck, and my hooks for everything. The twist lock hooks are the best thing ever. No more falling off the chain. I have two 20 foot chains with a twist lock slip hook on one end and twist lock grab hook on the other. Both chains set up the same. Ken made me a chain shortener made out of a few links of chain and two twist lock grab hooks. I can pull or lift anything I need to with that set up.

·
Premium Member
14,112 Posts
Very cool, and happy belated birthday :good2:

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
your wife sounds like a keeper. Enjoy them when they arrive:good2:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,357 Posts
Happy belated Birthday! Now that is what I call a great birthday gift. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my delivery last night :yahoo:

First thing I noticed was how heavy the box was. Great sign!

Second thing I noticed was how well all the goodies were packaged. A good amount of bubble wrap and other packing paper between each item ensured there was no way my bolt on hooks or grab/slip hooks were going to be damaged during shipping.

2018-02-23 11_54_18-.jpg

I'm really happy with the quality of the craftmanship. Kenny, you and your team should be proud. :bigthumb: :usa

2018-02-23 11_53_43-IMG_1890.JPG ‎- Photos.jpg

I plan on getting the bolt-ons on the bucket tomorrow morning, and if I have time I'd like to the the slip hook and grab hook on my chains.

I'd be curious to hear how far you guys have spaced your bolt-on hooks, and if you have any regrets on placement? I'm sure there are placements that are better suited for certain tasks vs others.

I've never split a chain before (on purpose). Anyone have a safe, simple method I can use to break my larger chain into two smaller ones?

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
On my buckets (4) so far, always mounted the hooks in line with the tilt cylinders, as for cutting chain I use a hand powered grinder with a cutting wheel, and safety glasses or a face shield if you have one.....:bigthumb:

·
Administrator
18,781 Posts
On my buckets (4) so far, always mounted the hooks in line with the tilt cylinders, as for cutting chain I use a hand powered grinder with a cutting wheel, and safety glasses or a face shield if you have one.....:bigthumb:

^^^^^
Great advise there!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
True to man code, I didn’t read the information provided by Kenny with the goods, I just focused on the products.... placement info was provided... sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I've never split a chain before (on purpose). Anyone have a safe, simple method I can use to break my larger chain into two smaller ones?
I know there are mixed opinions about HF tools but I use one of their electric cut-off tools for cutting chains and it goes thru like butter. I've had my tool for almost 10 years. I think I paid $19 at the time.

cutoff_tool.jpg

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hooks are on. Installation was simple and straightforward. Probably not going to paint them, for now.
Threw the oblong ring sling on the back blade and moved it without a problem. Very happy.
One thing I was wondering about is the sling rubbing up against the cutting edge of the bucket? Or should I just always have the bucket in dump position when using the sling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
HOne thing I was wondering about is the sling rubbing up against the cutting edge of the bucket? Or should I just always have the bucket in dump position when using the sling?
I have the same concern. It's probably best to keep the bucket in a position where the sling isn't rubbing on the edge but that will limit your lifting height. If you need the extra lifting height you can always slip something over the strap to protect it like a piece of old inner tube or something similar.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts