Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I was asked to try to give a recipe for my bean soup.

I tend to make a lot of soup when I make it but have no problem getting rid of it either by giving it away to family or eating it myself.

I'd guess this yields about 8 quarts of soup.

3 lbs Great Northern Beans - I buy the dry beans and do the overnight soak method for them. Rinsing them well before and after soaking is important.
1 or 2 ham bones. I save every ham bone from basically any smoked ham I bake. I do not like to use ham bones from glazed hams. I leave a fair amount of meat on the bone.
1 or 2 quarts Ham broth - whatever is left over from baking the hams above. usually a quart or two. I freeze it to save it for the bean soup.
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped celery (about 3 stalks)
2 good sized potatoes. Peel them and cut them up into 1/2 to 3/4 inch chunks. Probably 4 cups total.
3 cups ham cubed. (I normally get enough from the hams bones I have plus any trimmings I put in with the ham broth I freeze).
? Salt and pepper to taste I guess. I use about 4 tablespoons of salt but I like my stuff on the salty side. Pepper, I'd guess 1/2 teaspoon.

The beans normally come with measurements of how much water to use. I use the ham broth and make up the difference with plain water.

Put the ham broth, water, ham bones, ham, onion and celery in a 12 quart stock pot. Bring to a boil. Turn the heat to medium cook for 3 hours.

Add potatoes and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook the potatoes for 20 minutes and then add the rinsed and soaked beans. (I normally keep a few 15 oz cans of Great Northern canned beans in case the mixture looks like it could use more beans) I add them as needed.

Cook this for 2 hours.

Remove the ham bones and serve.

The potatoes make the soup creamy If you're not crazy about semi creamy soup, reduce or omit the potatoes.

·
Administrator
20,293 Posts
Definitely going into the GTT cookbook. :fed: :thumbup1gif:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,725 Posts
I hope you plan to be spending some serious time in the barn! :munch: :painkiller:
I have gas all the time anyway so what the heck. :lol:

·
8,558 Posts

·
8,558 Posts
So happy that I am all the way down here in Texas! :mocking:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,725 Posts
Looks good.

Do I see carrots?
A few, yes. I also added a couple tbs of Worcestershire Sauce.
I think after all these years of trying I've been over engineering the soup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts