Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning we unloaded straw we baled yesterday and put away The 24t Baler. Then on to raking the two fields we cut. Weather guessers said no rain until Sunday. Then yesterday the change forecast to this afternoon (insert bang head). I raked with the 4010 and Cousin started baling. I Switched to 790 and hauled. 22 round bales all put away and all equipment inside just in time. Thinnest second cutting we ever had. Rain is at out door step. Short video of raking and pic of hauling.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Don't see any of that style rake up this way.....mostly the old school types

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
sold my ogden wheel rake a week ago ...fantastic rake for round bales....just didnt work well for several reasons for small squares.....been looking for a year for a trailed rotary rake without success....been using my old old old belt drive bar rake

22 round bales on hay that thin ......musta cut a lot of acres ??

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
musta cut a lot of acres ??
Right around 20 acre. Love the rotary rake, it don’t twist like a 5 bar and fluffs it up. That one is a Kuhn 3 point which is nice you can pick it up over rows. We still use the 5 bar when we need to.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Right around 20 acre. Love the rotary rake, it don’t twist like a 5 bar and fluffs it up. That one is a Kuhn 3 point which is nice you can pick it up over rows. We still use the 5 bar when we need to.
sure is nice to see the older tractor and rake still doing their jobs

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
You're not alone Bob, FIL and I were just looking at our fields today, lucky if we average a bale and half per acre. We've never had second cutting this poor, but it didn't rain for two weeks after we did first cutting, so they really never had a chance to come back.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I’m hoping to start cutting next week once our rainy weather passes this weekend. It looks to be really light, more like a third cut. I’ve been waiting for rain to see if it makes it grow. I probably should’ve cut two weeks ago and maybe the rain we‘re getting now would have jumpstarted it for a third cut.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
curious how much fertilization you do between cuts on grass hay...........i usually try to put some on after the first cutting but this year with weather first cutting got so stretched out it didnt work out......

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I don't do hay but keep an eye on it as I'm traveling many miles a day.
Some folks are just getting the 1st in. Weather was soo bad they had to wait. Was a tiny window in early June...about 3 days that worked for a couple small guys..the rest waited. They are bailing today just down the road.....Horrible year in most every way.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're not alone Bob, FIL and I were just looking at our fields today, lucky if we average a bale and half per acre. We've never had second cutting this poor
This is the worst we have ever had. Hopefully this rain will help and get a better third.
usually try to put some on after the first cutting
We did but didn’t get any rain.

Reactions: ttazzman
1 - 11 of 11 Posts