Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 1025R, 2.5 hrs. So far I have been doing light lifting and work with it. Move a couple of 25lb stones. Hauled 15-20 4 inch logs I cut, etc. The beet juice is running out of the wheels at the bead of the rim. I put more air in the tires. I was told by the dealer to put the air stems at the top of the wheel and I could bleed off the juice to check tire pressure. This worked on left wheel, but not the right. The pressure was 20lbs which is max. for my tires. I put a little more air in the right tire as well.

Does any one else use beet juice or other liquid ballast? Have you had this problem? If you did what was done to fix it?

My mind tells me that low pressure on these tires with liquid in them will not seal properly. I asked the dealer to remove the juice and clean the wheels and tires so I can use weights. He said that is against their ballast policy. I aske what the difference between liquid and weights are, and he got a bit upset with me.

All feedback appreciated.

Thank,
Dave

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
What he really meant to say was he doesn’t want to. I don’t think it matters. On previous tractor I had the rims spin inside the tire because of the beet juice but it never did leak, but it was because of low tire pressure. They make tire gauges that are designed for tires with ballast.

·
Registered
272 Posts
......... I asked the dealer to remove the juice and clean the wheels and tires so I can use weights. He said that is against their ballast policy. I aske what the difference between liquid and weights are, and he got a bit upset with me.

Thank,
Dave
I know that there are dealers that specialize in small tractors, and dealers like mine that basically only order small tractors for their other (Ag tractor) customers... But this does not sound right to me.

I understand that some dealers might have a policy on ballasting small tractors to make them safer to operate, especially by those that have little to no experience with tractors. But I don't understand why they would require the customer to ONLY use liquid ballast...?

What difference(s) did you ask him about? Price? Installation (time &/ or difficulty level)? Performance (there are definite differences here)? I don't understand why he would get upset with your questions. It would seem at first glance that he would make more money selling you iron weights, as they are significantly more expensive - but I don't know what his margins are.

Still, I would think that a dealer that values your business would be willing to explain why they do things the way they do.

As far as I am concerned, Iron weights are more than worth the extra cost, but that's just me.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What he really meant to say was he doesn’t want to. I don’t think it matters. On previous tractor I had the rims spin inside the tire because of the beet juice but it never did leak, but it was because of low tire pressure. They make tire gauges that are designed for tires with ballast.
Are these gauges at Tractor Supply or Farm and Family?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I got mine at a local farm store called Farm King. You have to read carefully, it’s hard to find the correct kind, they all look the same.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know that there are dealers that specialize in small tractors, and dealers like mine that basically only order small tractors for their other (Ag tractor) customers... But this does not sound right to me.

I understand that some dealers might have a policy on ballasting small tractors to make them safer to operate, especially by those that have little to no experience with tractors. But I don't understand why they would require the customer to ONLY use liquid ballast...?

What difference(s) did you ask him about? Price? Installation (time &/ or difficulty level)? Performance (there are definite differences here)? I don't understand why he would get upset with your questions. It would seem at first glance that he would make more money selling you iron weights, as they are significantly more expensive - but I don't know what his margins are.

Still, I would think that a dealer that values your business would be willing to explain why they do things the way they do.

As far as I am concerned, Iron weights are more than worth the extra cost, but that's just me.
I mentioned that they should ask the customer once the tractor is sold if they want liquid or tire weight ballast. The results was no leaks in the tires. They told me they put the juice in just a couple of hours before I got the tractor. They think there was still some between the tire bead and the rim. I would prefer the weights. If you have to take the tire off you can remove the weights and make it easier to handle the tires. Each tire weights 90lbs with the juice in it. I'm going to need a second tractor with forks to get the tires off as I get older. ;) Hopefully this will not be an ongoing issue.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,446 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Something sounds off about that dealer and their “policy”. My dealer doesnt even handle any tire work. They send them to local tire shop for tire swaps and send others to the kubota dealer for fluids. 🙄.
seems like if fluid was so important all machines everywhere would loaded and all dealers would have to support it.....

Reactions: WestTexasFarmBoy

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Something sounds off about that dealer and their “policy”. My dealer doesnt even handle any tire work. They send them to local tire shop for tire swaps and send others to the kubota dealer for fluids. 🙄.
seems like if fluid was so important all machines everywhere would loaded and all dealers would have to support it.....
In my area this is the 2nd dealer that now requires ballast before they will sell the tractor. I'm only luke warm with this idea. It seems like a way to make more money. I know you need ballast, but this money could be used for a ballast bucket, or heavy hitch, etc.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Are these gauges at Tractor Supply or Farm and Family?
Amazon, order the American made Milton and it will be at your house the next day.

I am abandoning liquid ballast with the new tires and wheels, I ordered 3pr of rear wheel weights for our tractor from Taylor foundry. They are local and will allow me to pick them up from the factory when they are finished. I bought 6 weights for about the price of 2 factory JD weights.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I filled the rear tires of my tractor with RV antifreeze myself, largely because I had RV antifreeze on hand so it didn’t cost me anything. Haven’t had any issues with it leaking out. I just use a cheap pressure gauge making sure the valve stem is at the top when checking the pressure. Haven’t ruined the pressure gauge yet. I run the recommended air pressure. I think it’s 20lbs for the rears, I’d have to look to be sure . My dealership subs out tire work, didnt want to fill the tires when I bought my 1026r. Recommended I contact Rays or Pamps myself to get my tires filled . Kinda think it’s odd that a large tractor dealership didn’t do tire work themselves. Tire work isn’t all that hard to do .Especially if you have the proper tire tools.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Something sounds off about that dealer and their “policy”. My dealer doesnt even handle any tire work.
Same here. ANY tire work is done by our local CO-OP. The only thing the dealer will do is call them for you.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I have a new 1025R, 2.5 hrs. So far I have been doing light lifting and work with it. Move a couple of 25lb stones. Hauled 15-20 4 inch logs I cut, etc. The beet juice is running out of the wheels at the bead of the rim. I put more air in the tires. I was told by the dealer to put the air stems at the top of the wheel and I could bleed off the juice to check tire pressure. This worked on left wheel, but not the right. The pressure was 20lbs which is max. for my tires. I put a little more air in the right tire as well.

Does any one else use beet juice or other liquid ballast? Have you had this problem? If you did what was done to fix it?

My mind tells me that low pressure on these tires with liquid in them will not seal properly. I asked the dealer to remove the juice and clean the wheels and tires so I can use weights. He said that is against their ballast policy. I aske what the difference between liquid and weights are, and he got a bit upset with me.

Thank,
Dave
The dealer simply doesn't want to do it. The beet juice makes a big mess, I had a tire leak on my garden tractor that had it. You shouldn't have an issue with liquid in the tires and them sealing on the rim. Plenty of people in the garden tractor community use those same size rear tires loaded with either beet juice or other fluid without issue. I wonder if there is a flaw with the bead or possibly the rims are not quite round. I would find another dealer that deals with rim guard and see if they will take it back out.

·
Registered
272 Posts
In my area this is the 2nd dealer that now requires ballast before they will sell the tractor. I'm only luke warm with this idea. It seems like a way to make more money. I know you need ballast, but this money could be used for a ballast bucket, or heavy hitch, etc.
I suspect that the dealers are afraid that some of their customers have not read Kennyd's most important post...

They probably worry that, if a customer gets badly maimed or killed, they might not be able to sell them another tractor.

·
Registered
13,536 Posts
nothing wrong with the dealer wanting ur new tractor to have ballast on it when it goes out the door-nope not a thing. now where he went wrong was not asking u personally what type of ballast u so desire. this is ur first thing u have found out, that ur salesman is not too informed about ur tractor. u said the dealer sells AG-related equipment-and only orders small stuff to keep the ag people happy--feel bad for ya. sounds like u should of passed this place for the next one.

i would want to know why they broke the bead down to install the beet juice-ha! i bet their pump was broken or wore out.

here where i live at--pretty much everyone has gotten rid of the beet juice-and went with windshield fluid-said it was to much money to keep the pumps rebuilt to do beet juice.

good luck

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
That beet juice if gooey and get thick in cold weather. I like windshield washer better but is not as heavy and supposedly not as earth friendly. I had a tire a little lower this winter and got some leadage on my my 4400. Aired it up and no problem. I think this stuff is can see by the bead if pressure is not higher. I was doing some heavy grading work. V, I doubt you will get a dealer to jockey around with tires and fluid. They may have fluid installed or install themself but I don't believe that would be a dealer compliment to be expected. Dealers are in business selling new equipment, setting up and selling parts. They seldom even want to talk selling used items and will only have a handful of stuff on their lots. My dealer says they move out to wholesalers like Good Works as their financing doesn't want to do non-warranty items and they didn't want to muck up their new sales with distractions.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update...I took the wheels back to the dealer. They checked the rims for leaks, non found. I did the same at home, but they checked my worked. Reminds me of elementary school. They washed the tires, both sides and put 30 lbs psi in them. Also marked the tire at the value stem to see if the tire was slipping. Brought them home and haven't had any issues since. They told me I could keep the 30lbs psi in them, 20lbs is normal. They said the tires were filled right before I picked up the tractor and there could have been some juice between the tire bead and rim. It could have taken a few days to run down the tire. So far so good. Both the salesman and service manger told me they would make sure they fixed this issue if it continues.

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
VZQHSG: I just pointed out that if the pressure gets low the beet juice will get into the bead and allow slipping. Glad you heard the same thing from the dealer. Windshield Washer or Calcium Chloride doesn't work this way and is not a slippery as the beet juice. Also the beet juice will coagulate and is a mess at the valve stem. You'll need to jack up and remove the stem and poke the stuff back into the tire then reinsert your stem to avoid another leak down. Whether the dealer owes any of this is still debatable as the green people have gone this way. Never, never, never had a tire move on calcium chloride just eventually rust out the rims.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts