Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
486 Posts
......... I asked the dealer to remove the juice and clean the wheels and tires so I can use weights. He said that is against their ballast policy. I aske what the difference between liquid and weights are, and he got a bit upset with me.

All feedback appreciated.

Thank,
Dave
I know that there are dealers that specialize in small tractors, and dealers like mine that basically only order small tractors for their other (Ag tractor) customers... But this does not sound right to me.

I understand that some dealers might have a policy on ballasting small tractors to make them safer to operate, especially by those that have little to no experience with tractors. But I don't understand why they would require the customer to ONLY use liquid ballast...?

What difference(s) did you ask him about? Price? Installation (time &/ or difficulty level)? Performance (there are definite differences here)? I don't understand why he would get upset with your questions. It would seem at first glance that he would make more money selling you iron weights, as they are significantly more expensive - but I don't know what his margins are.

Still, I would think that a dealer that values your business would be willing to explain why they do things the way they do.

As far as I am concerned, Iron weights are more than worth the extra cost, but that's just me.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

· Registered
486 Posts
Something sounds off about that dealer and their “policy”. My dealer doesnt even handle any tire work.
Same here. ANY tire work is done by our local CO-OP. The only thing the dealer will do is call them for you.

· Registered
486 Posts
In my area this is the 2nd dealer that now requires ballast before they will sell the tractor. I'm only luke warm with this idea. It seems like a way to make more money. I know you need ballast, but this money could be used for a ballast bucket, or heavy hitch, etc.
I suspect that the dealers are afraid that some of their customers have not read Kennyd's most important post...

They probably worry that, if a customer gets badly maimed or killed, they might not be able to sell them another tractor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.