Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with feeding beet pulp to horses with cushing's disease?
As usual when you think you know a lot you find out you really don't know much at all.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
That's a new one to me. :unknown:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
12,324 Posts
Anyone have experience with feeding beet pulp to horses with cushing's disease?
As usual when you think you know a lot you find out you really don't know much at all.:dunno:
BOY-gizmo2-didn't know that horse's could get Cushing's disease. is it the same disease adults get? it has to do with the and--:dunno: gland above the kidney's. some doctors call it the elephant man's disease too, on account of how bad the lower part of the neck between the shoulder blades swell's up, now this is on the back side of ur body. very educational for me here today!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BOY-gizmo2-didn't know that horse's could get Cushing's disease. is it the same disease adults get? it has to do with the and--:dunno: gland above the kidney's. some doctors call it the elephant man's disease too, on account of how bad the lower part of the neck between the shoulder blades swell's up, now this is on the back side of ur body. very educational for me here today!
Whoops! :lol:

I'm still learning myself. Just a few...

Beet pulp for horses. It's high in digestible fiber. It has a low non-structural carbohydrate level. It has a low glycemic index. Beet pulp!

Managing Equine Cushing's Disease | TheHorse.com

·
Registered
30 Posts
We feed LOTS of beet pulp to horses (13 Clydesdales) as a base for their winter feed, but I'm not sure with Cushings. You might try to find some info on IVIS website ( Home Page - International Veterinary Information Service - IVIS ). There's some great information on there, and that's where we usually head when we have a problem that we need to research.
Good luck and I'd be interested to know what you find out!
John

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We feed LOTS of beet pulp to horses (13 Clydesdales) as a base for their winter feed, but I'm not sure with Cushings. You might try to find some info on IVIS website ( Home Page - International Veterinary Information Service - IVIS ). There's some great information on there, and that's where we usually head when we have a problem that we need to research.
John
Thanks. FWIW, the horse we are dealing with is soon to be 28 Years old.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
My paint/ tb mix can be tough to keep weight on. We've used corn oil, but it made everything kind of slimy. We gave him 5 lbs of alfalfa a day (baled, not processed) and that helped as well. We were going to try the beet pulp, but I found a feed in TN that was 12% fat and 12% protein that he did very well on and didn't need any supplements. Once we moved to WY I couldn't get that feed anymore. Right now he's on a 9% fat, 12% protein feed with a flax supplement called Omega Max. That seems to be working well.

Have you tried changing feed or supplementing with alfalfa?

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
John
Love Clydesdales...love pictures of same...

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gizmo2, I'm presuming you have his teeth floated and all taken care of.?
Yes, We'll eat soup and beans before we let our animals go neglected.

My paint/ tb mix can be tough to keep weight on. We've used corn oil, but it made everything kind of slimy. We gave him 5 lbs of alfalfa a day (baled, not processed) and that helped as well. We were going to try the beet pulp, but I found a feed in TN that was 12% fat and 12% protein that he did very well on and didn't need any supplements. Once we moved to WY I couldn't get that feed anymore. Right now he's on a 9% fat, 12% protein feed with a flax supplement called Omega Max. That seems to be working well.

Have you tried changing feed or supplementing with alfalfa?
Used corn oil years ago, mostly before show season.
My wife is currently looking into Flax. We just now got back from picking up some alfalfa/timothy pellets.
We put her on beet pulp pellets yesterday.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,680 Posts
When I get home I'll have to look at the brand of supplements we give our horses. They have been much healthier since we started them on the pellets/supplements.

I've heard of using a beet product for creating better deer plots. Never read about it in horses, so I'll learn along with you. I'll ask my daughter too, the place she works at during the summers has some very special needs horses, so she may have heard of something.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Cushings in horses looks a lot like diabetes in a human. Plus a huge amount of fur. ��

·
Registered
414 Posts
Beet pulp is a food that maintains a good amount of stable energy without causing spikes in blood sugar which is perfect for a Cushings horse. The exception is if the horse needs to lose weight. If so, the need to maintain a healthy weight trumps the benefit of beet pulp. Another caution is that the majority of commercial feeds with beet pulp in them contain molasses to improve taste. Ummmm... Not a good plan for a Cushings horse so then you negate the benefit of the beet pulp. Many horses will not eat it at all without something added to make it taste better. Tree farmer is correct, alfalfa is a good alternative. It's glycemic index is almost the same as beet pulp and most horses like the taste.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yes, We'll eat soup and beans before we let our animals go neglected..
Love that. We feel the same way. There's a limit eventually but I haven't found it yet. :clapping:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hardly any shedding at all.
Yeah. That's how you can spot a Cushing horse before a single test is run. I feel bad for them when it's summertime here. Time for the clippers!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah. That's how you can spot a Cushing horse before a single test is run. I feel bad for them when it's summertime here. Time for the clippers!
We knew she had the onset a few years ago. Last summer was the true telltale.

I won't post up pictures of her now but in her prime and as a foal...

. Dafina_Halter.JPG _ Dafina_WesternPleasure.JPG

scan0001.jpg

1 - 20 of 47 Posts